• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7 AP Poll

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see us winning (ton of injuries, plus Bama is extremely talented). I still think even a whoopin' keeps us in the 20-25 range. I'll just be glad when this Florida/Georgia/A&M/Bama stretch will be over with. :L
I was just being a smart ass. Gotta be able to rip your rivals when ever you get a chance. I remember when the Vols were kicking our ass during the Fulmer years.... Always has been a series of streaks. Bama had a 9 year streal I believe then Johnny majors and company reeled off 4 in a row if I remember correctly. Then Bama rolled off several in a row etc...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I say they are a top 20 defense, literally EVERY stat backs that up and you face palm me? lol.

I understand they've played shitty offenses. Which is why I didn't use straight up scoring defense or YPG at first. Also, weren't you the one, who hated efficiency in the off season when discussing Arkansas?
I facepalmed you because you were getting all upset because I dared to say their defensive numbers have been inflated due to them playing horrible offenses.

Yeah, I don't like the efficiency rankings that much. I was using them because you love them so much.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just being a smart ass. Gotta be able to rip your rivals when ever you get a chance. I remember when the Vols were kicking our ass during the Fulmer years.... Always has been a series of streaks. Bama had a 9 year streal I believe then Johnny majors and company reeled off 4 in a row if I remember correctly. Then Bama rolled off several in a row etc...
Always been a streaky rivalry. Growing up (I'm 27) Tennessee seemed to have Alabama's number, but completely different now. I really don't hate Bama (much like Florida), but it'd be nice if we could end another streak. :D

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh calm down, I'm not attacking you. I'm saying their defensive value is debatable at this point considering how bad the offenses they've faced are. Also, they're 3rd in scoring defense behind OSU and michigan. We'll see how things shake out as the season goes on, but again, my entire point has been it's laughable how weak the back of the rankings are when Florida is in the top 20. I've said that so many times now.

We're halfway through the year, and they have a top 20 defense. Some efficiency metrics put them in the top 5, which accounts for the strength of opposition. I know your original point, it doesn't matter how weak the back end of the top 25 is, if you're going to rank 25 teams you have to rank 25 teams. This year is historically weak IMO, I mean for Bama, OSU and Clemson to lose as much as they did and them still be the consensus top 3 teams tells you everything you need to know, and that has trickled down to the rest of college football. I mean Texas A&M is ranked, and I don't even think they are that good compared to what the #6 team historically looks like, but who else you gonna put there?

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always been a streaky rivalry. Growing up (I'm 27) Tennessee seemed to have Alabama's number, but completely different now. I really don't hate Bama (much like Florida), but it'd be nic if we could end anouther streak. :D
I do not hate UT as I should my grandfather was a UT grad and he would take me to UT games all the time. We would drive up from B'ham to Knoxville and back in the same day... He tried to convert me. After he passed away and phat Phil pulled his dirty rat tricks I didn't like UT at all. Now that the Tide has changed and the dumpster fire that was UT for a decade have have grown to pull for them again...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I facepalmed you because you were getting all upset because I dared to say their defensive numbers have been inflated due to them playing horrible offenses.

Yeah, I don't like the efficiency rankings that much. I was using them because you love them so much.

So are you taking issue with me just to take issue with me? I said they are a top 20 defense, largely based off of where they are efficiency wise(#16 in one metric, #3 in another). Those efficiency numbers take into account strength of opposition. Efficiency numbers are much better than per game stats. I mean there's no way in hell you would suggest they are a top 5 defense even though those statistics would suggest otherwise.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're halfway through the year, and they have a top 20 defense. Some efficiency metrics put them in the top 5, which accounts for the strength of opposition. I know your original point, it doesn't matter how weak the back end of the top 25 is, if you're going to rank 25 teams you have to rank 25 teams. This year is historically weak IMO, I mean for Bama, OSU and Clemson to lose as much as they did and them still be the consensus top 3 teams tells you everything you need to know, and that has trickled down to the rest of college football. I mean Texas A&M is ranked, and I don't even think they are that good compared to what the #6 team historically looks like, but who else you gonna put there?
Dude, I'm not disagreeing this part. I've been clear on that since my very first comment.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you taking issue with me just to take issue with me? I said they are a top 20 defense, largely based off of where they are efficiency wise(#16 in one metric, #3 in another). Those efficiency numbers take into account strength of opposition. Efficiency numbers are much better than per game stats. I mean there's no way in hell you would suggest they are a top 5 defense even though those statistics would suggest otherwise.
I'll wait and see them actually play well against an impressive offense before I start anointing them an elite defense. They were supposed to be elite last year and then an average michigan offense absolutely lit them up. Sorry, Florida sucks.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you looked at our recruiting lately? That should answer your question about OSU. Pulling in 5-star talent is way more valuable than having juniors and seniors hanging around who won't get to the next level. Same for Bama and Clemson, they either reloaded or had some top level talent come back this year.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not hate UT as I should my grandfather was a UT grad and he would take me to UT games all the time. We would drive up from B'ham to Knoxville and back in the same day... He tried to convert me. After he passed away and phat Phil pulled his dirty rat tricks I didn't like UT at all. Now that the Tide has changed and the dumpster fire that was UT for a decade have have grown to pull for them again...

I hate teams more due to personal experience than anything, not because they are "rivals" or because my family said I should. Vanderbilt is about they only team in college football that I'd never pull for. Which is sad because I was raised in Nashville practically my entire life.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait and see them actually play well against an impressive offense before I start anointing them an elite defense. They were supposed to be elite last year and then an average michigan offense absolutely lit them up. Sorry, Florida sucks.

Basing a whole season off a one game. :clap:

And yes, Florida was a great defensive team last year, not elite(top 8 IMO is considered elite)

Also, FWIW, Michigan was a good offense last year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you looked at our recruiting lately? That should answer your question about OSU. Pulling in 5-star talent is way more valuable than having juniors and seniors hanging around who won't get to the next level. Same for Bama and Clemson, they either reloaded or had some top level talent come back this year.

Yes, I know, for them to not skip a beat despite having a dozen guys drafted or whatever speaks volume about how weak historically this season is, and how great Ohio State is. I'm taking anything away from Ohio State.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arkansas beat Lousiana Tech by 1 and needed two OT's to beat a TCU team that was just stretched to the limit by KANSAS.

LSU is a one trick pony, granted it's a really. really good trick but still.

Ole Miss should win both to stay ranked right where they are at.

We are more vulnerable to the pass than run and I like the way you are thinking ... but two road night games in back to back weeks will be a formidable task.

It will all depend on our young defense... I have no doubt our offense will score 70 total points between the two games...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basing a whole season off a one game. :clap:

And yes, Florida was a great defensive team last year, not elite(top 8 IMO is considered elite)

Also, FWIW, Michigan was a good offense last year.
Oh, stop. Last year, Florida got fat playing against dreadfully bad offenses all year (outside of Ole Miss, that was impressive). Then the last 3 games of the year, they faced offenses with talent and gave up an average of 32 ppg. And that michigan offense was above average, at best. The only other times they hit 40+ points last season were against Indiana (in 2OT) and against Rutgers.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I know, for them to not skip a beat despite having a dozen guys drafted or whatever speaks volume about how weak historically this season is, and how great Ohio State is. I'm taking anything away from Ohio State.

I wasn't trying to suggest you were. I just think top talent and outstanding coaching counts for a LOT. But I don't think we completely reloaded without a hitch. We've had issues and been exposed a couple of times. Luckily it was again teams we could afford to do that against. We may have seen some exceptional years in CFB, but did last year really seem like it was that much better?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, stop. Last year, Florida got fat playing against dreadfully bad offenses all year (outside of Ole Miss, that was impressive). Then the last 3 games of the year, they faced offenses with talent and gave up an average of 32 ppg. And that michigan offense was above average, at best. The only other times they hit 40+ points last season were against Indiana (in 2OT) and against Rutgers.

I thought they played good defensively against FSU and Bama, considering how inept the offense was. FSU basically scored 20(Dalvin Cook scored a 29 yard TD with 20 seconds left) and gave up 29 to Bama when the offense couldn't do shit. I mean UF's offense had eight 3 and outs.

I care even less what they did against Michigan considering it was a bowl game. But Michigan was a good offense, none the less.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they played good defensively against FSU and Bama, considering how inept the offense was. FSU basically scored 20(Dalvin Cook scored a 29 yard TD with 20 seconds left) and gave up 29 to Bama when the offense couldn't do shit. I mean UF's offense had eight 3 and outs.

I care even less what they did against Michigan considering it was a bowl game. But Michigan was a good offense, none the less.
They still gave up way more when facing even halfway talented offenses. They didn't get to sit back and play Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina and the other inept offenses on their schedule before that. And yes, michigan was a good offense once they got to face Florida. They made Rudock look like Troy Aikman.

If Florida's defense was playing at it's best, I find it extremely hard to believe that Florida this year could hold OSU. Clemson, Louisville, Bama, Washington, michigan, or even Texas A&M to under 35 if those offenses are playing at their best.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still gave up way more when facing even halfway talented offenses. They didn't get to sit back and play Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina and the other inept offenses on their schedule before that. And yes, michigan was a good offense once they got to face Florida. They made Rudock look like Troy Aikman.

If Florida's defense was playing at it's best, I find it extremely hard to believe that Florida this year could hold OSU. Clemson, Louisville, Bama, Washington, michigan, or even Texas A&M to under 35 if those offenses are playing at their best.

They gave up 23 ppg against the 4 best teams they faced during the regular season(Ole Miss, Tenn, Bama and FSU). All of which were top 25 offenses last year. And 14 of those points were late game TD's. So they essentially gave up less than 20 ppg against 4 top 25 offenses. That's pretty damn good considering last year how inept they were offensively, especially down the stretch. Florida was a GREAT defense last year, just not quite elite. I'm not sure where you would rank them, but my guess is you'd be pretty way off base with what you're thinking.