• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 5: Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech in Atlanta GA, Thursday 7:30 PM ESPN

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did try some outside runs. Mangus would not cut and go north and south and kept stretching it out for losses or gains of 1 yard.

Not really. I didn't think we ran it to the outside but a couple of times and we totally abandoned it. So I checked the stat sheet. Mangus had 2 carries. JC had 0. I only remember 1 carry by Mangus where he should have cut up field, but didn't. I know what you mean but I don't really count that as trying. That's not enough. And its more than just this game. The line gets no push for straight downfield runs. LT did well tonight but most of that was him just banging thru contact. If the line is going to be that poor run blocking, we have to make a more solid effort of running off the tackles or using some option game. Logan played great passing wise tonight, but I just don't trust him to be consistent. We need to have a balanced running game that makes a concerned effort to establish both inside and outside options.

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a very nice win...Defense was outstanding and if Logan can play like that the rest of the year I think Hokie Nation will be very happy.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I didn't think we ran it to the outside but a couple of times and we totally abandoned it. So I checked the stat sheet. Mangus had 2 carries. JC had 0. I only remember 1 carry by Mangus where he should have cut up field, but didn't. I know what you mean but I don't really count that as trying. That's not enough. And its more than just this game. The line gets no push for straight downfield runs. LT did well tonight but most of that was him just banging thru contact. If the line is going to be that poor run blocking, we have to make a more solid effort of running off the tackles or using some option game. Logan played great passing wise tonight, but I just don't trust him to be consistent. We need to have a balanced running game that makes a concerned effort to establish both inside and outside options.
I admit our running game didn't look good at all last night, but a lot of Logan Thomas's runs were well blocked. Sure he had runs where it was all him but he also had runs that were very well blocked. GT also took the RB everytime although not all of Thomas runs were read option.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how 'bout that D?? and LT3?? that's how to play 19/25 221yds 1TD and 0 INTs(although one or two that should have been)

just wish we could have gotten a running game going, LT3 had 16 carries for 58 yards...the next highest rusher was Knowles with 2 yards. Wasn't Coleman supposed to play?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also of note...maroon pants.

does this mean all maroon everything is coming??

and I am on board with the helmets we wore last night

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thought on the game, with GT's offense...on the snap does the QB get the snap, and stand motionless for a second? on nearly every play, it looks like the O line takes off and the QB is still standing there waiting on the snap, lol...I hadn't noticed it before.

Also, sounded like a good amount of Hokie Nation was in Atlanta last night

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not one to really toot my horn, but I had a gut feeling that we would pull this out (hence my vote in the ACC thread on cfb board) with some form of beamerball. Turnovers and the interceptions at crucial times really made this game. Kudos to LT, the D and general team for taking care of business!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So proud of how the team played last night. They looked more like themselves again (minus the RB and kicking situation). The defense absolutely dominated. Fuller attacks, they adjust, then Tyler has the green light, they adjust, and the DLine lays the hammer. The offense was efficient in the first half and played the field position game well in the second. I know we only won by seven, but we did control the game.

LMAO at Paul Johnson trying that 4th quarter 4th down every year and getting stuffed. That BS gets coaches fired. He's damn lucky Journell missed that field goal to delay the inevitable.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thought on the game, with GT's offense...on the snap does the QB get the snap, and stand motionless for a second? on nearly every play, it looks like the O line takes off and the QB is still standing there waiting on the snap, lol...I hadn't noticed it before.

I think he takes the snap and then makes his read. Even on plays that aren't the triple option he has reads to make.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Sometimes that's the read, I think. Previous QBs there seemed to be a lot faster though or had a different set up/ play style.

I've always thought GT's biggest problem is finding a quarterback that can:

1. Read and run the option.
2. Throw the ball.
3. Withstand the punishment.

Nesbit ran the system well and was tough, but he couldn't throw at all.
Washington ran well, and I thought threw well enough to keep it honest but he got hurt/scared.
Now Lee seems to be able to throw, but I haven't seen him run the option well enough.

The stats seem to back up those observations.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Too late to edit apparently, but now that I looked up Nesbit, it looks like he was the one that got hurt. I guess even a tough QB is subject to injury. That's my bad.

I still recall Washington being gun-shy after being hit though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too late to edit apparently, but now that I looked up Nesbit, it looks like he was the one that got hurt. I guess even a tough QB is subject to injury. That's my bad.

yup, he broke his arm against us trying to tackle our DB after tossing an INT

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I was gonna say I thought you might be mixing Nesbit and Washington. They have missed Nesbit. Maybe Vad Lee can get there, definitely the best passer of the 3, but he is not reading the option well enough at this point.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit, reading stingtalk today is fun:D

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]aZ_y-ZVPqv8[/YOUTUBE]

My apologies if this has already been posted. Hilarious though.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, there is no way this performance didnt make a big impression on Nnadi and Walker. How good were our DTs last night. Skip got all the run (rightfully so, as he was a maniac) but Maddy just ate blockers and chased Vad.

I was nervous about Baron and Williams because they didnt have experience against the TO. However they were great too and even were eating it up on the final drive.

DL and OL depth is the difference between a good team and a great team and I think was have it now on one side.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, there is no way this performance didnt make a big impression on Nnadi and Walker. How good were our DTs last night. Skip got all the run (rightfully so, as he was a maniac) but Maddy just ate blockers and chased Vad.

I was nervous about Baron and Williams because they didnt have experience against the TO. However they were great too and even were eating it up on the final drive.

DL and OL depth is the difference between a good team and a great team and I think was have it now on one side.

Agreed - I really hope we land Nnadi and Walker. How much more can we do here - GREAT defense that is getting NATIONAL ACCOLADE by pretty much everyone now. It's obvious we take recruits AND DEVELOP THEM.