• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5 Games and random observations

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How on earth is Michigan a "community college"??? I sure in the hell hope you are comparing them to Ivy League schools or Stanford, not tOSU, lol. I mean, PLEASE tell me you are trying to rip on Michigan for anything outside of football, lol. PLEASE, lol. I need a good laugh today.
never knew you liked to liked to swing from the wolverines ball sack so much........ wow.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never knew you liked to liked to swing from the wolverines ball sack so much........ wow.
I give credit where credit is due.

If a lowly Oregon fan was dissing tOSU, I would defend tOSU as much as I might not like the school.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inb4 the CFP committee debates a 1 loss Ohio State team vs a undefeated Cincinnati team at the end of the season
ok. well, evaluate the schedules of both and get back to us.

I would really like to see Cincy make a playoff, but when there are only 4 spots. the microscope is focused in on everything, and SOS will be near the top of the list.

If Cincy wants to be strongly considered, they are going to need to blow everyone else on their schedule out by 50 pts.......

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose. I mean, would you ever refer to an Ivy League school or Stanford or MIT as a community college? If not, why would you refer to Michigan as one?

The key to good humor is that there is SOME truth to whatever joke you are telling. Michigan is one of the top rated Public Universities in the world, and OSU could only hope to someday be as highly rated as Michigan.

Had he resorted to joking about Michigan's football prowess, or lack thereof, then I would have let it go.
Michigan, as are the rest of the Big 10 schools, are highly rated academic institutions. But outside of sports they are not at the level of the Ivies, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, or the little Ivies (Washington in St. Louis, Emory, U. of Rochester, Brandeis, NYU, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, Johns Hopkins, U. of Chicago).

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan, as are the rest of the Big 10 schools, are highly rated academic institutions. But outside of sports they are not at the level of the Ivies, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, or the little Ivies (Washington in St. Louis, Emory, U. of Rochester, Brandeis, NYU, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, Johns Hopkins, U. of Chicago).
You might be forgetting that not all B1G schools are the same, and some of them are labeled "Public Ivies", and according to at least one ranking out there, Michigan, UMn, Wisconsin & Ohio St rank better than Rice, Vandy, Duke and every one of the Little Ivies you listed minus John Hopkins U., and Michigan is ranked #6 right behind JHU. I couldn't even find Brandeis U? At least not on the first 2 pages. Oh, there it is, I had to go to the exclusively Private Rankings so that it could make the cut, I guess?!

And you mentioned the Ivies as if as a whole they rank 1-10 or however many of them they are, but like the B1G, neither is the Ivy League all the same. In this ranking, both Cornell & Princeton rank below those 4 I mentioned, Mich, Wisc, UMn and tOSU. And PSU and Illinois rank ahead of Dartmouth, etc..

I mean, UMn is ranked Top 25 IN THE WORLD when it comes to their producing and being associated with Nobel Laureates. They are tied with Illinois and Wisconsin and Michigan are not far behind them in the rankings.

So I wouldn't be so quick to render them on a lower level than all of those you mentioned.

Now maybe you are misunderstanding that the FACT that all of the B1G schools minus NW are Public Universities means that they have a duty to the people of the state that funds them, and so they may have a bit lower entrance requirements, but that obviously does not reduce the # of high quality students that do go to those schools, nor does it mean those schools hire nobodies to teach their students, far from it. And it definitely doesn't mean that those public universities are not capable of doing some high quality research as they bring in far more in research dollars than the many of the schools you listed.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be forgetting that not all B1G schools are the same, and some of them are labeled "Public Ivies", and according to at least one ranking out there, Michigan, UMn, Wisconsin & Ohio St rank better than Rice, Vandy, Duke and every one of the Little Ivies you listed minus John Hopkins U., and Michigan is ranked #6 right behind JHU. I couldn't even find Brandeis U? At least not on the first 2 pages. Oh, there it is, I had to go to the exclusively Private Rankings so that it could make the cut, I guess?!

And you mentioned the Ivies as if as a whole they rank 1-10 or however many of them they are, but like the B1G, neither is the Ivy League all the same. In this ranking, both Cornell & Princeton rank below those 4 I mentioned, Mich, Wisc, UMn and tOSU. And PSU and Illinois rank ahead of Dartmouth, etc..

I mean, UMn is ranked Top 25 IN THE WORLD when it comes to their producing and being associated with Nobel Laureates. They are tied with Illinois and Wisconsin and Michigan are not far behind them in the rankings.

So I wouldn't be so quick to render them on a lower level than all of those you mentioned.

Now maybe you are misunderstanding that the FACT that all of the B1G schools minus NW are Public Universities means that they have a duty to the people of the state that funds them, and so they may have a bit lower entrance requirements, but that obviously does not reduce the # of high quality students that do go to those schools, nor does it mean those schools hire nobodies to teach their students, far from it. And it definitely doesn't mean that those public universities are not capable of doing some high quality research as they bring in far more in research dollars than the many of the schools you listed.
So which outlier of a ranking did you find.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did look up the latest US and News and World Report rankings. Michigan is ties for 23rd. All the Ivies, Washington in St. Louis, U. of Chicago, Emory, Rice , Vanderbilt all rank in front of it. No other Big 10 shows up in the top 30. Michigan does rank well.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did look up the latest US and News and World Report rankings. Michigan is ties for 23rd. All the Ivies, Washington in St. Louis, U. of Chicago, Emory, Rice , Vanderbilt all rank in front of it. No other Big 10 shows up in the top 30. Michigan does rank well.
Sorry dude, but I'm very consistent in my ragging on the US News and World Report Rankings, they are the biggest scam out there. It's been proven that schools send in fake information to improve their rankings and that US News and World Report doesn't do anything to check and verify the information. Stanford is one of several schools who have publicly denounced their Rankings.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry dude, but I'm very consistent in my ragging on the US News and World Report Rankings, they are the biggest scam out there. It's been proven that schools send in fake information to improve their rankings and that US News and World Report doesn't do anything to check and verify the information. Stanford is one of several schools who have publicly denounced their Rankings.
But they are the most quoted and largest of the reports, so there is that. The single biggest part of their rankings is the peer review.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an outlier, it's a very reputable study done by UMass.

I looked at the report. It is obvious that you have chosen to compare based on research dollars. Not surprising that a large public university would be bigger in its expenditure and receipt of money and would rank at or near the top.
The other rankings tend to rank the undergraduate quality of education and the selective nature of their student body.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at the report. It is obvious that you have chosen to compare based on research dollars. Not surprising that a large public university would be bigger in its expenditure and receipt of money and would rank at or near the top.
The other rankings tend to rank the undergraduate quality of education and the selective nature of their student body.
First, as a Badger fan, I'd think you might be ok or in agreement with some or all of what I am saying? Did you go to UW?

Otherwise, there is a difference in the priorities in the different rankings out there, one rewards the prejudiced and exclusive who feel they are privileged and superior and discriminate and ranks schools by who they let in, while the other judges schools by what they produce and is not discriminatory, and judges public and private equally on a merit basis. A school like Rice University, for example, as I checked them out since we started this convo, the school is like an exclusive club, and despite the racial makeup of Texas, it chooses to allow in Asians far above their representative percentage and punishes the white percentage to make up for it, so that they can bring in plenty of blacks and hispanics. And why let in so many Asians? To bring up their SAT average so to improve their ranking at US News and World Report, of course. This is what being Private means, it means you only need to serve the needs of your own private little club, in this instance, it's Rice University.

The University of Minnesota educates 7 times as many students each year as Rice University.

And despite Rice only bringing in the best of the best, UMn's list of accomplished/famous alumni is far more impressive in every single category and my so easily being able to read through Rice's list and determine this is evidence of my conclusion as UMn's list gets longer every time I check it out and its more like reading a frigging book it's so long. Now there is one exception, the production of NASA astronauts. UMn's group of NASA peeps are higher quality/more accomplished, but not by much, as some of Rice's NASA peeps are also quite accomplished, and that is just my opinion, and Rice does have more in the way of quantity. Purdue on the other hand probably has Rice beat in this category being it's been dubbed Astronaut U.

Now you may argue, but UMn educates 7 times as many students as Rice, so of course they'd produce more famous and accomplished people than Rice does, but wait, I thought all of UMn's students were dummies who were let in with low entrance requirements while Rice only lets in the best and the brightest? Or maybe UMn's mission, as a state funded land grant university is different and UMn is expected to serve more than just the best and the brightest, but the entire state of Minnesota as a whole? So UMn and it's satellite schools around the state, do what they can to educate the entire population of the state, which includes cooperating with even the Community Colleges, in that people who do well at those Community Colleges can transfer up into some of those satellite schools, and then of course, if they do well at those, they can always transfer to the main campus or to UMD that also has some Graduate programs, to get their graduate level degrees.

And UMn, as shone by that ranking I posted, hires top notch faculty, probably just as good/qualified/accomplished, as the faculty at Rice and the students who get into Minnesota who wouldn't get into a school like Rice, then get to benefit from such high quality educators and seemingly become more accomplished because of their UMn education where as most, if not all of Rice's students would have succeeded no matter where they went, and seeing as UMn brings in 5-6 times as much in Research dollars, it would seem that not only does UMn have professors who are just as good as Rice's, but it seems they might be better? And/or more in number? So while Rice produces top notch alum who do go out into the world and help make it a better world, UMn also does that in a much larger volume, while ALSO producing the less accomplished more regular Joes and Jills who only service the state's/world's need for things such as lawyers, doctors, vets, business managers, accountants, nurses, high school teachers and college professors, politicians and Govt Admin workers, etc., and etc..

And athletically, UMn crushes Rice in every single sport, even Baseball, at least as far as how their alums do AFTER college. But that ALSO has to do with Rice's role in society vs UMn's. Rice apparently hasn't made athletics a priority, like most public schools feel it's their job to, as many of their state residents want a local place to play their sport after high school.

So whereas a Rice Alum can probably feel proud that they got into Rice, that only means they were an accomplished high school student. UMn alum can feel pride in that they went to a school that does MORE for their home state than anyone else and it's not even close, and then may do more for the nation and the world than almost all other universities out there, or at least among publics, with the possible exception of Cal-Berkeley? And Stanford and the top Ivies, possibly, although I'd argue most Ivy league alum seem to do more harm in the world than good? Now that is what it "seems" like to me, I could be wrong, I haven't investigated this in any way, it's just my general impression from a lifetime of living and paying attention to things like, where people went to college.