• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 4: Virginia Tech v Bowling Green (Sept. 22, 2012)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anybody notice how the center and guards more often than not are the worst performers? Those are Newsome's guys

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody notice how the center and guards more often than not are the worst performers? Those are Newsome's guys
I agree. Our tackles aren't too bad. Its always seems like a free defender comes flying in from the middle of the line.

bharm15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
anyone else disappointed in how bonner has been playing? in the 4 games this year he's gotten burnt deep alot and seems to miss alot of tackles

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd we play? I missed just about everything.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was military appreciation day and I may have appreciated the military a little too much. And by military, I mean bourbon so my observations are a little fuzzy.

-LT played like garbage again. His accuracy is non-existent. At least he settled down some because those first couple of series were brutal. He was missing wide open guys by 10 feet. He ran ok, but I got a little annoyed with it. Maybe it was just me but a couple of times it looked like he could have gotten more yards but he chose to take on a defender trying to truck him. Just get the yards.

-I don't like RB rotation, but at least all backs seemed to find the holes and run up field this time instead of just dancing in the hole. They also showed good patience on outside runs letting their blocks develop.

-I could be wrong but I believe I noticed RVD and Cole alternating downs. Why? Just figure out a way to get RVD on the field all the time.

-Defense played better, but if this were a better team, we still would have lost. Still not getting enough QB pressure and the backers are still getting burned pretty bad in passing situations.

-That P51 was cool even though it flew over the stadium for only 0.05 seconds

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT has been really bad, but our receivers (ahem Davis) have been dropping passes. I also don't like the RB rotation. Gregory did fine, but I think his carries need to go to JC. I want 2 guys with 90% of the carries.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT has been really bad, but our receivers (ahem Davis) have been dropping passes. I also don't like the RB rotation. Gregory did fine, but I think his carries need to go to JC. I want 2 guys with 90% of the carries.

Agreed, and I think the other one should be Holmes, maybe with Scales coming in for goal line situations.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
random thoughts about the game and the state of the program in general:

-The OL especially the interior guys looked bad today. We are either blocking air or getting driven into the backfield. FWIW we did seem to control the LOS in most short yardage situations but then again it was BG and we looked bad in a lot of other areas.

- The defensive backfield doesnt seem near as strong as it usually is. I really think we need to slide exum back to safety and play a platoon at that CB. We look better in nickel than in our normal D, imo.

???- Did i see some 3 man fronts today? I left right after the LT INT and havnt re-watched yet, but Im pretty sure we lined up in a true 3-4 or possibly a 3-3-5 at least once.

-Logan: Something just isnt right with his passing. It makes me wonder if there isnt some kind of contradiction in the training he did this spring/summer and what O'cain expects in practice.

-I loved seeing the true (pitch) option. They showed a lot of that in the spring/summer it (like today) seemed to be some of our most effective plays.

-I normally like to find a rhythm with one or two RB's but in our current situation I dont mind the multiple RB's. I expect in a tight game they'll all get carries early on but we will ride our 'hot hand(s)' for the majority of the game.

-We are slow getting off the ball on the DL. Little to no pressure on QB's in passing situations and blown off the ball in the run game.

-Good to see edwards back out there but from the radio broadcast it sounded like he will be a couple of weeks shaking off the rust and getting back to 100%. (i didnt see hiim play but apparently he missed a few tackles)

???- did manning play at all today?

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to admit it, but unless we get significantly better, we are going to get disemboweled by FSU and or Clemson. They are just on a different level right now.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to admit it, but unless we get significantly better, we are going to get disemboweled by FSU and or Clemson. They are just on a different level right now.

Agreed. Watching the game right now and both of those teams are legit. The Coastal is terrible this year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

smacked

switch the bolded words and i sent my buddy the exact text message just before i hit the refresh button to see this.

would rep but.....

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed guys, I got on to comment on the FSU - Clem game and you guys pretty much nailed it. It has been quite a while since I have seen the ACC play at this type of level. Smash-mouth football with speed. We are in for a scary ride when we play these two teams.

If we don't get situations like with the Bonner kid straightened out - we will be completely embarrassed. We need to play with a chip on our shoulder and quite a bit nasty if we expect to have a chance.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With that said, I think we will be facing them in the ACCCG, FSU that is. I think our defense will be much better than clemson's by that point, but we'd have to put up 30+ on a much better defense than we faced today

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Clemson is better than us at every position on offense and that's before you factor in the OCs. Meanwhile FSU is beating them anyway. Wait till we play these teams...it will be a massacre. I can't decide which I'd rather face. Clemson's offense is better than FSU's it's just that FSU's defense is far superior. Both teams have the potential to beat us by 30-40 pts

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is better than us at every position on offense and that's before you factor in the OCs. Meanwhile FSU is beating them anyway. Wait till we play these teams...it will be a massacre. I can't decide which I'd rather face. Clemson's offense is better than FSU's it's just that FSU's defense is far superior. Both teams have the potential to beat us by 30-40 pts

We will beat one or the other.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it was pretty evident by mid 3rd quarter of that game the difference between clemson's oline and fsu's dline .. fsu's dline OWNED them

i'm glad that if we only had one of them at home, it is fsu. fsu is a better matchup with us but after watching that game last night, i don't see us beating them. they were impressive. but you never know. those games are 4+ weeks away.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see why there's still so much gloom and doom round. after watching that game, our offense looked MUCH better overall. LT is arching his back a lot for some reason and still overthrowing here and there but looking "better". our inside running game is not happening but some speed sweeps and flat passes are "compensating". it's bowling green but they looked a hell of a lot better than they did against peay. LT needs to quit staring down Davis. We need to settle on a RB (or two). but overall, i think the running plan is a better one. more outside running, quicker developing, with some RB flat passes sprinkled on top. it's no power running game but let's face it -- that's not gonna happen.

defense looked better too save a few broken plays (we got lucky that they didn't score a few times). frye did look pretty good i thought. bonner still looks rough. but exum looked MUCH better (overall). i keyed on him on several plays. dline still looks lethargic though. next few weeks will tell though. cincy and unc neither are super-chumps. we'll find out if the pitt game was just a farce or if we can expect to be concerned.

on the bright side, the U beat GT (WTF) which gives us some cushion in the coastal and UVA still sucks.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why there's still so much gloom and doom round. after watching that game, our offense looked MUCH better overall. LT is arching his back a lot for some reason and still overthrowing here and there but looking "better". our inside running game is not happening but some speed sweeps and flat passes are "compensating". it's bowling green but they looked a hell of a lot better than they did against peay. LT needs to quit staring down Davis. We need to settle on a RB (or two). but overall, i think the running plan is a better one. more outside running, quicker developing, with some RB flat passes sprinkled on top. it's no power running game but let's face it -- that's not gonna happen.

defense looked better too save a few broken plays (we got lucky that they didn't score a few times). frye did look pretty good i thought. bonner still looks rough. but exum looked MUCH better (overall). i keyed on him on several plays. dline still looks lethargic though. next few weeks will tell though. cincy and unc neither are super-chumps. we'll find out if the pitt game was just a farce or if we can expect to be concerned.

on the bright side, the U beat GT (WTF) which gives us some cushion in the coastal and UVA still sucks.

Uh. Not really bruh. That just means that Miami may be better than we thought and that the game with them may be tougher (they always play us tough anyway) and more important for VT to win. We will find out alot more about the U and other teams over the next few weeks.