• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 4: Bears vs Lions GAME THREAD

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won the time of possession and pretty much dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage. Wil Sutton had a huge game in the middle. Timu showed what most of us saw last year who thought he was going to be a primary backup not a practice player, but that drop off pass to the back for a big gain with Timu in coverage pretty much explained why he was on the practice squad. Receivers around the league on the schedule are now seeing on film that these bears are going to hit you. Amos, Jones Quarty, Kwaitkowski will just plain hit you, where Freeman has seriously physical tackles.

Its hard to get excited just beating another 1-3 team who lost their superstar and featured running back and missing two key pieces from their defense leaving Royal free to roam. It was nice to get a win and see an excited bear team.

Yeah, like we saw last year. Timu has the ability to impress playing downhill against the run. However, he is very susceptible to getting beat in the passing game, and also struggles a bit in sideline-to-sideline pursuit.

I agree that this D can definitely hit. The first half of the Philly game was actually extremely impressive defensively, which is forgotten because of the catastrophic second half marred by injuries and horrible offensive play.

Sutton had a good game, but I think we can all agree the sooner Goldman gets back, the better. Trevathan's original report said he could miss as little as two games, or up to six. Meaning, he could return to practice this week, although it seems doubtful. As soon as those two get back, I could see this defense really taking off. I agree that the energy and fire the team brought yesterday was the most encouraging thing I've seen all throughout the first month. Another side note, Kwiatkoski made some plays as well.

Say what you want about how ugly things are, but the next two games are also winnable versus IND and JAX. It may be asking a lot to win both, but if they can do that. Then get healthy on D, heading into match ups GB and MIN. I'd be interested to see if they could hold their own and compete.

The biggest bright spot has to be Howard. Things seem so much easier when you can run the ball. It felt so good to be in control of the game flow. Watching him break tackles, fight for extra yardage, catch balls out of the backfield, block in the passing game... etc... was just so nice after watching Langford struggle like he has. I think he's going to be a name that everyone in Chicago knows very soon.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Cutler, its possible. However, I think we have to see Hoyer play more than one good game against a poor defense. The thing is, the next two defense's we play (IND and JAX) could be even worse. So it is definitely possible Hoyer continues to play like he did Sunday, and keeps the starting job. What then worries me, is that he could be in for a very rude awakening the next two weeks vs GB and MIN. If that KC playoff game last year is any indication of he looks versus top 10 defense's... I'm certainly not looking forward to that. Say what you want about a handful of Cutler's performances, but at least he has the ability to make those throws. Where Hoyer looked utterly hopeless in that game.

My understanding is that this could (probably should) be Cutler's last year here because we have the ability to opt out of the rest of his contract or whatever its called? Gotta figure we'll cut him loose.

Hoyer is exactly the type of QB you have around to start as a place holder while you get your rookie (Or possibly Connor Cook) up to speed to take over...

IOW Hoyer should remain the starter IMO, but I doubt we do that...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that this could (probably should) be Cutler's last year here because we have the ability to opt out of the rest of his contract or whatever its called? Gotta figure we'll cut him loose.

Hoyer is exactly the type of QB you have around to start as a place holder while you get your rookie (Or possibly Connor Cook) up to speed to take over...

Cutler has no guaranteed money after this year. He is as good as gone.

It's Connor Shaw, and he will be lucky if he ever plays again. His injury was one of the most gruesome I have ever seen, and that includes Theisman's. It's too bad too, cuz that kid had some moxie.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring an injury to Hoyer or him absolutely shitting the fucking bed, I think Cutler has taken his last snap as a Bear.

Just my opinion, of course.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has no guaranteed money after this year. He is as good as gone.

It's Connor Shaw, and he will be lucky if he ever plays again. His injury was one of the most gruesome I have ever seen, and that includes Theisman's. It's too bad too, cuz that kid had some moxie.

Hmmm... Well who the hell is Connor Cook then? LOL!!! :noidea: :lol:

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring an injury to Hoyer or him absolutely shitting the fucking bed, I think Cutler has taken his last snap as a Bear.

My brother is a Dolphin fan and he said that he'd seen a rumor picking up steam about the 'Fins trading to get Cutler... I can't imagine, but what a God send that would be!!! :yes: :rockon: :cheer2:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother is a Dolphin fan and he said that he'd seen a rumor picking up steam about the 'Fins trading to get Cutler... I can't imagine, but what a God send that would be!!! :yes: :rockon: :cheer2:

I would not put it past that organization.

Him and Gase worked pretty well together, I guess?:noidea:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the cap claims there is 2 million dollars tied to Cutlers deal next year as dead money, this year was 19 million dead money so they were out that money anyway. Considering what he did with Gase, you figured he was going to be ok in the same system.

Brian Hoyer is getting paid 2 million dollars, 750K was guaranteed.

I do not think Hoyer is the long term answer, even though he has only been in the league as long as Russell Wilson, it seems a whole lot longer. I think 10 years is enough time to wait for a competition, so maybe its Hoyer, another 4th year guy and a draft pick next season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, he's an ideal stop-gap guy. He's not at all pricey, he's a seasoned vet, young guys seem to like him, he checks his ego at the door, he's a pro, he seems comfortable in this system... and he's capable of being efficient. I think he's the type of guy you want a young QB to learn from.

I like Cook, its a shame he broke his leg right when he was creating a little excitement. He had very good moments in the pre-season, and this appears to be a good year to have taken a look at what he can do in regular season action. I guess we'll just have to see what the organization decides to do. I'm as clueless as anyone as to what happens next at QB. Utterly clueless... I don't like this QB draft class, at all. I also could totally see us getting healthy on defense, and playing our way to 6-10/7-9. Out of an early pick. I suppose there will be guys like Garropolo and McCarron possibly on the trade block. Which is what I would personally prefer, if we're starting over at QB. Which, at this point, I expect.

I actually think Hoyer is in a tremendous spot to hold onto the starting job. He couldn't have gotten this opportunity at a better point in the schedule. Jay started the season with two of the league's top defense's through the first quarter of the season, and now... in comes Hoyer. Who gets to beat up on Detroit's spiraling defense for the team's first win. Now, he gets arguably (aside from New Orleans) the other two worst defense's in football. In the form of Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

It would not surprise me, at all to see him play well in the next two games and possibly even win. At that point, riding 2 of 3 wins... or (dare I say) three straight wins. I don't think Fox has a choice. This is all assuming Jay isn't healthy and ready to go this week. I have no idea what Fox would do, listening to his pressers. My guess is that he's in a bit of a conundrum himself. This is really the first week that realistic for Cutler's return, following the original diagnosis of 2-3 weeks. I know that if I'm Jay, I'm pushing HARD to play Sunday. I would not want to let Hoyer keep riding this momentum, especially against two more defense's that are in utter turmoil.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no real talks of that happening. There's a bunch of hacky sites like sports mockery... etc... that started spreading this. These are the kind of sites that will put out a rumor in the off-season that the Broncos are going to trade Von Miller for Ben Roethlisberger. These sites are funded by advertisement, and they create headlines that get the casual fan to click on the link.

Pay no attention to that stuff. Trading for Cutler makes no sense right now. His guaranteed money is essentially all but up on his contract after this year. No one would trade for him, only to pickup the rest of his contract and pay him money that they don't have to. They would simply wait until the Bears release him in the off-season, and sign him to a much cheaper deal. Not to mention, he's 33 years old. No one is giving anything worthwhile up for a QB who will be 34 next season, and has been nothing more than average-to-above average throughout his career.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. I suppose there will be guys like Garropolo and McCarron possibly on the trade block. Which is what I would personally prefer, if we're starting over at QB. Which, at this point, I expect.

Yeah, but these are guys who you end up having to pay at least $10-$15 Million (In Garropolo's case, he's probably going to get a Brock Osweiller contract). I think I'd prefer to go the rookie contract route with Hoyer making no more than $8 Million to serve as the starter...

JMO, but like you I have ZERO clue what we may do here.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but these are guys who you end up having to pay at least $10-$15 Million (In Garropolo's case, he's probably going to get a Brock Osweiller contract). I think I'd prefer to go the rookie contract route with Hoyer making no more than $8 Million to serve as the starter...

JMO, but like you I have ZERO clue what we may do here.

When you combine those two contracts, you're literally paying what you'd be paying Garropolo anyway.

Not to mention, are you really going to pass up on a guy that you think is a franchise QB, because you have to pay him like one? That doesn't make sense...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id find it hard to believe that Jay has taken his last snap as a bear.....IKf hes healthy,he`ll play........

But of course you all know Id be in for letting him go..........:suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id find it hard to believe that Jay has taken his last snap as a bear.....IKf hes healthy,he`ll play........

But of course you all know Id be in for letting him go..........:suds:

I don't know man... They're holding him out of practice again this week it seems. Reports said he was lobbying hard to play, even against Dallas. You'd really think they'd have him out there, if they were anxious for him to get back. In Fox's pressers too, he's made a few insinuations that if Hoyer keeps playing well, that its his job.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you combine those two contracts, you're literally paying what you'd be paying Garropolo anyway.

Not to mention, are you really going to pass up on a guy that you think is a franchise QB, because you have to pay him like one? That doesn't make sense...

So you want us to be the team that falls for the ole, "Hey, he looked good with the Patriots/Packers/Team with great offense!!! He must be AWESOME!!" thing this time?

I'm trying to think how often that has worked out for teams. So pay basically Cutler money for Garropolo? (Because that's what it would take)... Nah, I'd rather go the DeShaun Watson route for much less $$$...

Again, JMO... But really don't want to pay a QB franchise money just because he looks good in an ideal situation...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fffuuuck Janeane Garaffolo....I would honestly rather have Cutler.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really would rather not hear the term franchise quarterback anymore. We learned paying one like a franchise guy did not make a franchise guy, and calling one a franchise guy does not make a franchise guy either. Every other position on this team has a guy pushing for playing time, why not QB.

Seems alot of people are down on Matt Barkley just because he does not have that big name or stats. I dont know who saw his two quarters he played in Philly. Alot of people thought Bridgewater was a bad choice for Minny with low arm strength. They have a team that can compete for a super bowl with that defense. They might compete until they start calling Bridgewater a franchise QB if he ever comes back.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want us to be the team that falls for the ole, "Hey, he looked good with the Patriots/Packers/Team with great offense!!! He must be AWESOME!!" thing this time?

I'm trying to think how often that has worked out for teams. So pay basically Cutler money for Garropolo? (Because that's what it would take)... Nah, I'd rather go the DeShaun Watson route for much less $$$...

Again, JMO... But really don't want to pay a QB franchise money just because he looks good in an ideal situation...

Doubt Garropolo gets that type of money.

I don't want to fall for that trick either, but there's only been ONE QB that's gotten that deal. In Matt Cassel, who made a pro bowl with KC. Going 11-5 with 27 TD's to 7 INT's. So it wasn't JUST the system. Granted, the rest of his career didn't go as well, but there was something there.

You act like there's a never ending line of Pats QB's who have signed giant contracts after starting there. There is one.

Like I said, McCarron is my favorite option anyway. I also like Garropolo out of college, so his Patriots performance has only a little to do with it. Many thought he may be the best passer in his draft class.

Watson is going to be a BUM of an NFL QB. No thanks. This QB draft class is DOG shit.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really would rather not hear the term franchise quarterback anymore. We learned paying one like a franchise guy did not make a franchise guy, and calling one a franchise guy does not make a franchise guy either. Every other position on this team has a guy pushing for playing time, why not QB.

Seems alot of people are down on Matt Barkley just because he does not have that big name or stats. I dont know who saw his two quarters he played in Philly. Alot of people thought Bridgewater was a bad choice for Minny with low arm strength. They have a team that can compete for a super bowl with that defense. They might compete until they start calling Bridgewater a franchise QB if he ever comes back.

I watched him play that game in Philly. It was... laughably bad. I'm also confused about what you meant with the Bridgewater paragraph.

Also, why should the term "franchise QB" cease to exist because Jay didn't wind up being one? That makes no sense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fffuuuck Janeane Garaffolo....I would honestly rather have Cutler.

Bears next QB...???

30700794_1300x1733.jpg