• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 16: Denver Broncos at Los Angeles Chargers

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be possible that his parents could return him to the doorstep he was found on?

Ridin' me kinda hard here lately, pardner. You miss me that much? :kiss:

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos to be without Chubb against the Chargers, and Lindsay placed on IR.

The injury bug has not given us a break yet. On offense I think we have only had 2 starters play all the games so far, Jeudy and Cushenberry III. Defense has faired a bit better with 5 to 7 that have started all games so far after the news that Chubb is out, Alexander Johnson, Josey Jewell, Justin Simmons, Kareem Jackson, Michael Ojemudia (has been a starter, benched, and now back as a starter with so many CBs out), and Malik Reed (was a back up to start the season, but seems to have moved into the starter with Von out). Really sad.

The moto for the 2020 Broncos? I think Next Man Up year has to be given consideration.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Lindsay played his last game in Denver? I say YES

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you will see Lindsay in Denver for season 4. Gordon is the clear better RB. Lindsay is fine as the #2. Still baffles me how people can’t understand the Gordon signing.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he returns, but 2021 may be his last year in Denver. Ironically Freeman, Gordon, and Lindsay will all be free agents after the 2021 season.

With the Raiders loss tonight, the Broncos now control their destiny to second place to last place in the AFC West. The Chargers and Raiders should be winnable games, but with the secondary being hit hard with injuries it could be tough.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second to last place! If you get a ring for a championship, what does the second to last place team get? Neon shoelaces?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Von Miller has played his last as a Bronco - in the game of dollars to donuts.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vic will be back in 2021.
According to Adam

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second to last place! If you get a ring for a championship, what does the second to last place team get? Neon shoelaces?
I think it goes back to more of a confidence thing. If this team can finish second in their division even with as many guys that barely played or didn't play.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Von Miller has played his last as a Bronco - in the game of dollars to donuts.
I don't think Von makes $22 Million next year. Von will have to take a significant pay cut. Von has stated that he wants to remain a Bronco his whole career and now he will have to prove it. I think that Von will have to accept ~50% pay cut to stay here. That is a lot, and might sting a lot for him to hear that.

There are several other guys that will have to make some tough decisions. This team will likely look way different next year on the Defensive side of the ball. It is possible that the defense will not have Miller, Casey, Bouye, Shelby Harris, and Simmons back from the expected starting 11. Those are 5 big players and almost 50% turn over. That is a lot of change.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes back to more of a confidence thing. If this team can finish second in their division even with as many guys that barely played or didn't play.
I think it goes to an honest appraisal of where you are. I don’t think the current management has done a great job of that. Win several meaningless games at the end of the year gives a false impression, in many cases, that the team is better than they really are. No business or organization succeeds that doesn’t look under every rock and cranny to see where there may be bugs and worms that eat away at the overall success.

I’d rather be 5-11 and be forced to look under those rocks than to end up 7-9, and management believe with just a few lucky breaks we’d be in the playoffs

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Von makes $22 Million next year. Von will have to take a significant pay cut. Von has stated that he wants to remain a Bronco his whole career and now he will have to prove it. I think that Von will have to accept ~50% pay cut to stay here. That is a lot, and might sting a lot for him to hear that.

There are several other guys that will have to make some tough decisions. This team will likely look way different next year on the Defensive side of the ball. It is possible that the defense will not have Miller, Casey, Bouye, Shelby Harris, and Simmons back from the expected starting 11. Those are 5 big players and almost 50% turn over. That is a lot of change.
That's why Von Miller is the likely player to be gone. 1st he is more marketable around the league. 2nd the salary cap will shrink and 3rd - with his salary gone guys like Harris and Simmons can be signed. I suspect Casey and Bouye will also be gone.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Von Miller is the likely player to be gone. 1st he is more marketable around the league. 2nd the salary cap will shrink and 3rd - with his salary gone guys like Harris and Simmons can be signed. I suspect Casey and Bouye will also be gone.
Kareem Jackson? He’s due over $12MM next year. Don’t see us signing Simmons to a big contract and having two safeties making that kind of coin.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes to an honest appraisal of where you are. I don’t think the current management has done a great job of that. Win several meaningless games at the end of the year gives a false impression, in many cases, that the team is better than they really are. No business or organization succeeds that doesn’t look under every rock and cranny to see where there may be bugs and worms that eat away at the overall success.

I’d rather be 5-11 and be forced to look under those rocks than to end up 7-9, and management believe with just a few lucky breaks we’d be in the playoffs

I understand your point of view there, but I don't know that I agree. We really don't know what this team could have been due the long list of things we have talked about all season. Not sure what area you think they have not tried to improve.
  • Drafted Jeudy and Hamler to compliment Sutton to improve the passing game.
  • Signed Glasglow to help the Oline.
  • Signed Melvin Gordon to bring more to the running game.
  • Traded for Casey and signed Shelby Harris to help with defense.
  • Traded for Bouye and drafted Ojemudia for a better pass defense.
What hole did they not try to fill? Some of these moves were questioned by some, but the effort was made.

I listened to Broncos Country Tonight from the Broncos web site from 12/23 this morning and one thing they brought up is that the Broncos have been running less then a full offense. They also provided some statisical proof that Lock has show more improvement then maybe the we realized, and the lack of offseason. Below is a link to a subset of their show:

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem Jackson? He’s due over $12MM next year. Don’t see us signing Simmons to a big contract and having two safeties making that kind of coin.
Based on conversations around Fangio's defense and the Safeties are critical in the success of the defense, so I think we will likely see the Safety position have more dollars allocated to the Safety position the some teams. Jackson could be cut and it would not be a surprise, but he, like several other players, maybe approached about a restructure to lower the cap hit in 2021 but provide security for the future. I think there are several guys that will be on that list.

In 2021 we will need the strength of this team to be on the Defensive side as the likelihood of the offense becoming the second coming of the Chiefs is unrealistic. If we gut the defense next year then we are doing dong basically a 2 year rebuild with the offense in 2020 and the defense in 2021. That would likely put a playoff push into 2022 at the earliest. Which likely means we are looking at a new coaching staff and front office due to expiring contracts. Then we maybe starting over again.