• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: WEEK 10... vsDET

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAIT! I finally got it. Tomlin keeps Rudolph around and lets him play every so often to give us a false sense that Ben is still good.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the 2022 Free Agent QBs:
Tayson Hill
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Andy Dalton
Nick Foles
Cam Newton
Tyrod Taylor
Jameis WInston
Jacoby Brissett
Teddy Bridgewater

Which of those big names would you like us to target in the offseason?

Starting over with a rookie is a plan, but it's a shitty plan because we are just settling for whatever we get and that's our biggest problem as a front office.
Off this list. Id take fitz if hes healthy. But teddy two gloves just fir the steadiness. Jameis intrigues me greatly, wanted him before so i wouldnt be mad at all there.

The real thing for us is the belief tomlin wants a vet. Think we are gonna be looking long and hard at guys like rodgers, the russ wilson situation, and a few more. Please dont bring jimmy g here however.

Truthfully. Id love if we looked in our own backyard and took pickett. Its cliche. Hes 24 and a late bloomer. But man, hes just been amazing. His eyes are always downfield, he has great footwork, manipulates the pocket well, has good mobility, a really nice throwing
Motion. He sees and reads the game better than anyone in the country right now. Gonna be knocked for his tiny hands and wearing a glove though. Hes also A straight leAder and gamer.

Corrall is something too imho. Beyond them this class has some intrigue, but need to see more.

Edit: i think with the cap ballooning next year, and the way this team is structured, they are ok paying for a qb if its a top notch guy or a fairly good vet. So the cap hit isnt an issue to me at all.

Last edited:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I agree 100%. Out of that list above if they would bring in Hill, Dalton, Foles, Brissett or Bridgewater as much as I hate to say this they should just save the cap space and play Rudolph.
puke GIF

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I agree 100%. Out of that list above if they would bring in Hill, Dalton, Foles, Brissett or Bridgewater as much as I hate to say this they should just save the cap space and play Rudolph.
puke GIF
Yep. I agree. The only one i think maybe is teddy. Because hes fairly steady and generally safe with the ball. Kinda like the broncos thought this year before all their injuries….that they have lots of playmakers, just get the ball in their hands. We kinda do too. Maybe not with likely no juju or washington next year. But enough talent.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I agree. The only one i think maybe is teddy. Because hes fairly steady and generally safe with the ball. Kinda like the broncos thought this year before all their injuries….that they have lots of playmakers, just get the ball in their hands. We kinda do too. Maybe not with likely no juju or washington next year. But enough talent.
True I always been hard on Bridgewater but he is a lot like Taylor. The good thing with either of them they don't do stupid things and don't have happy feet. That alone is a step up over Rudolph.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True I always been hard on Bridgewater but he is a lot like Taylor. The good thing with either of them they don't do stupid things and don't have happy feet. That alone is a step up over Rudolph.
Yep exactly. So if they have to settle, id be ok with him as a fall back. Or a draft Pickett and sign teddy

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think we were thinking the same there. Im not trying to be a jerk. So, looking at options for next year. What do you like? Or who do you Like?
I don't like any solution to this situation because our available solutions are just the leftovers from the multitude of bad decisions we've made the last few years at drafting and development and free agent activity in terms of the QB position. Due to the position that the front office has put this team in, we either go to the draft or we sign a free agent.

Looking at the list of Free Agents next year, they are all horrible. The best bet might be Teddy Bridgewater?

Looking at the list of QBs that may be in the draft next year, we may fall in the early to late 20s so Pickett from Pittsburgh might be there but the QB class next year is atrocious. Only 3 QBs projected in the first round in most mock drafts and we've done the whole 3rd-4th round QB thing and it obviously will not work with this team.

So, we are stuck. There is no plan and we, of all teams, needed a plan. But no, our front office decided to settle, like we always do, because we are operating a team in 2021 on values and principals that worked and were used in the 70s and 80s.

Tl;dr - We are fucked.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like any solution to this situation because our available solutions are just the leftovers from the multitude of bad decisions we've made the last few years at drafting and development and free agent activity in terms of the QB position. Due to the position that the front office has put this team in, we either go to the draft or we sign a free agent.

Looking at the list of Free Agents next year, they are all horrible. The best bet might be Teddy Bridgewater?

Looking at the list of QBs that may be in the draft next year, we may fall in the early to late 20s so Pickett from Pittsburgh might be there but the QB class next year is atrocious. Only 3 QBs projected in the first round in most mock drafts and we've done the whole 3rd-4th round QB thing and it obviously will not work with this team.

So, we are stuck. There is no plan and we, of all teams, needed a plan. But no, our front office decided to settle, like we always do, because we are operating a team in 2021 on values and principals that worked and were used in the 70s and 80s.

Tl;dr - We are fucked.
Feel Better GIF

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've assumed for awhile now that we'll have to just take a sucky 5-12 year or something to be in a position to draft a new QB, just like how it was when Ben got here. My guess is that happens next year and the Steelers go for a QB the following year.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've assumed for awhile now that we'll have to just take a sucky 5-12 year or something to be in a position to draft a new QB, just like how it was when Ben got here. My guess is that happens next year and the Steelers go for a QB the following year.
But if we had a plan, we wouldn't have to take a sucky 5-12 year. That's my whole point.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if we had a plan, we wouldn't have to take a sucky 5-12 year. That's my whole point.
the thing is. You act like a succession plan is simple. You act like its common. That it makes sense with draft capitol or money. How many teams have had a succession plan work well in say the past 15-20 years? Its not that simple.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of plan? Trade up from 20-25 into the top 5 within the last two years? I'd have been against that, thinking (at the time) we could have won now. The cost would have been tremendous.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is. You act like a succession plan is simple. You act like its common. That it makes sense with draft capitol or money. How many teams have had a succession plan work well in say the past 15-20 years? Its not that simple.
I, as many of you on here say, am an idiot. However, I saw this coming 3-4 years ago. And yes, I will keep tooting my own fucking horn if none of y'all will give me the courtesy of doing. Also, if we had a competent front office, we would've had something in the works other than the scraps of whatever is left.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of plan? Trade up from 20-25 into the top 5 within the last two years? I'd have been against that, thinking (at the time) we could have won now. The cost would have been tremendous.
The kind of plan where we have an actual competent successor to the QB position after Ben retires. But hey, what do I know right?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, as many of you on here say, am an idiot. However, I saw this coming 3-4 years ago. And yes, I will keep tooting my own fucking horn if none of y'all will give me the courtesy of doing. Also, if we had a competent front office, we would've had something in the works other than the scraps of whatever is left.
So. again, how many teams successfully had a succession plan in the past 15-20 years? Also, what capitol would you have sacrificed then to obtain the plan? draft? Free agent? And when would you have made the move?
Am I wrong though?
yes. answer our questions and then maybe we'll change our minds

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. again, how many teams successfully had a succession plan in the past 15-20 years? Also, what capitol would you have sacrificed then to obtain the plan? draft? Free agent? And when would you have made the move?
Here's the thing. I've said the answers to these questions multiple times in multiple threads over the last 3-4 years but people either write it off as the crazy ramblings of a stupid uneducated fan or just don't bother to listen or read what I say because I pissed them off in another conversation.

We could've drafted Lamar Jackson in 2018. We could've gotten Teddy Bridgewater for cheap in 2018 AND 2019. We could've drafted Jalen Hurts instead of Chase Claypool. As much as I love Claypool, we didn't need another WR drafted.

Just picture this. Our 2022 roster is headlined by our new starting quarterback, Mason Rudolph, and our backup is Dwayne Haskins. How fucking confident are you in that fucking team?

Also, I'm not trying to change minds, it doesn't matter at this point because its a coulda woulda shoulda conversation. What's done is and has been done and we as fans have been dealt a shitty hand. All I'm trying to do is say...I was right. We needed a plan and it never came. Everyone (generalization) on here was pissed when we drafted for the future in 2018 but we actually SETTLED for Mason Rudolph. It was the right move to draft a QB in 2018, just the wrong QB. Once again, I was right about that. Wrong about Mason being the guy, but right about needing to draft for the future.

Would also love to know what your thought are about our current QB situation AND our potential QB situation for the next 2-3 years. If I'm wrong that we didn't need a plan, then I'm guessing you are completely happy with it.