• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We got him!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DH and Ollie must have been reading my posts:suds:

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is freakin awesome!!! I just read this on wvusports.com. Here's the article:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia University football coach Dana Holgorsen has announced the hiring of Tom Bradley as the Senior Associate Head Football Coach. Holgorsen will designate Bradley’s defensive coaching position at a later time.
“Tom brings numerous years of successful college coaching experience and versatility,” Holgorsen said. “He is an excellent defensive teacher, has high energy and intensity and gives us a proven recruiter with regional and national ties. I look forward to Tom joining the Mountaineer family, and I know he will work extremely well with Tony (Gibson), our defense coordinator. The two have known each other for quite some time and share many of the same philosophies. We have put together a strong defensive staff under Tony’s leadership.”

Bradley, nicknamed “Scrap”, brings 33 years of coaching experience, all at Penn State, including defensive coordinator from 2000-2011 and serving the final four games as the interim head coach. He helped the Nittany Lions finish with 13 double-figure win seasons, 20 seasons with at least nine wins and 26 bowl appearances, including the 1982 and the 1996 national championships.

"I am truly excited to join the West Virginia football program,” Bradley said. “I want to thank Coach Dana Holgorsen and Oliver Luck for this tremendous opportunity to contribute to the continued growth and success of the Mountaineer football program. Tony Gibson and I have recruited against each other in Pennsylvania for a lot of years, and it will be good to finally be on his side. I look forward to working with my friend to build a strong defensive unit at West Virginia.

“It has always been my primary goal as a coach and educator to help the student athletes succeed on the football field, but more importantly as students and future graduates. I look forward to meeting the team, coaches, support staff, faculty, administration and West Virginia alumni. West Virginia has a great history and tradition, and I am honored to be a part of its future. "

Bradley played a large role in the success of the defense and recruiting efforts during his tenure. He has coached six positions, including defensive ends, outside linebackers and defensive backs, coordinated the special teams and served as recruiting coordinator, bringing numerous prep standouts to Penn State throughout his tenure.

During the 2011 season, the Penn State defense ranked in the Top 20 nationally in four of the primary categories, including scoring (5th, 16.8 ppg), pass efficiency defense (6th, 107.2), pass (17th, 190.6 ypg) and total defense (20th, 323.9 ypg).

From 2004-09, he guided the defense to six consecutive Top 15 finishes in total and scoring defense. The 2008 unit was one of only four nationally to rank in the Top 10 in rushing, total and scoring defense and lead the Big Ten in rushing and total defense.

In 2005, Bradley was named one of the Top 10 recruiters in the nation by SportsIllustrated.com. That year, his defense was one of only five in the nation to finish in the Top 20 in rushing (7th, 93.0 ypg), pass efficiency, total and scoring defense (10th, 17.0 ppg) and had three All-Americans. He coached Alan Zemaitis to first-team All-Big Ten honors and second team All-American distinction.

The 2004 defense ranked in the Top 10 nationally in total, scoring and pass defense and was the only one in the country to not allow more than 21 points in a game.

The 2002 defense produced two All-Americans and first-round NFL Draft choices and ranked No. 11 nationally at 17.5 ppg.

Bradley coached safety James Boyd, who earned third-team All-America honors in 2000, cornerback David Macklin, who earned first-team All-Big Ten and third-team All-America accolades in 1998, safety Kim Herring to first-team All-America honors and cornerback Brian Miller to All-Big Ten first-team honors in 1996.

As special teams’ coordinator, one of his prized pupils was O.J. McDuffie, who earned school records in punt returns and yards and was a first-round NFL Draft choice of the Miami Dolphins.

Another of his top students was Shane Conlan, a two-time All-American, who played in the NFL for nine years.

Bradley was a member of the Penn State football team, earning letters in 1977 and ‘78. The Johnstown, Pa., native, earned his bachelor’s degree in business in 1979 and his master’s degree in sports administration in 1986, both from Penn State. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant in 1979 and became a full-time staff member in 1980.

After his tenure at Penn State, Bradley worked on the Pittsburgh Steelers Broadcast Network and as a Clear Channel Radio analyst. In 2013, he joined the CBS Sports Network broadcast team and made his debut for the network as an analyst for Army football games.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Hire for WVU and another shot to the gut for Pitt recruiting in WPIAL.

Bradley is an excellent coach and a great guy. So happy to see him back in coaching. Was surprised WVU didn't pursue him earlier than this, perfect fit.

Good luck Scrap!!!!

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: Sorry about the copy and paste job...I didn't see that GoldRush had posted the link...my bad!

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should really pick up our recruiting in western PA. It also is a nice stick in the eye of sPITTs recruiting. Gibson made in roads there last year, and I would think we will get more.

If we don't show improvement this year I bet he will be our new HC next year.

I think it is a good hire.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turn loose the hounds!!!!!!!!! Greatest hire at WVU in the last 30 years.

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very excited about this hire. Provides that spark we all needed.

Jeighmonee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I said about hiring Gibby as DC is negated with this hire. Bringing on Bradley is literally a game changer! He immediately brings credibility to a defense that has been lacking it for years, and he'll be able to make sure Gibby doesn't do anything too damaging week to week.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great hire! Recruiting in PA just went from hot to sizzling. WVU has one of the best defensive coaches in America on its staff!

It is a huge statement!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good hire folks. But until dad comes out and signs on board....you guys are pounding salt.:yahoo:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry that I'm late to the party but I just found my brain after losing my mother falkland mind when I heard about this. My wife put me in time out and has just lifted the ban.

BB - recruiting is going to be intense in SW PA and the surrounding area. Penn State hired Terry Smith who was the high school football coach at the school (Gateway) my kids attended. He played at PSU and did a great job coaching kids here until school politics got in the way. His brother is Harvey Smith, who was a WR at WVU during our stint there. Terry has strong ties around here and especially the Aliquippa area (has family living in Aliquippa). Things are going to be crazy when it comes to recruiting. Pitt may be left out in the cold.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good hire folks. But until dad comes out and signs on board....you guys are pounding salt.:yahoo:

Good news don't expect any comment from dad.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And does anyone still think that Dana only has one year left to turn things around?.....LOL!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And does anyone still think that Dana only has one year left to turn things around?.....LOL!

Depends on your opinion of turning things around lol

I think he is doing things to try to bring this whole thing together, building depth, improving facilities, solid staff, building a stronger relationship with fans.

Really going to boil down to how we perform on field, are we competitive, are we showing improvement as a team and individually.

I think we are heading up the mountain and patience is going to pay off.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your opinion of turning things around lol

I think he is doing things to try to bring this whole thing together, building depth, improving facilities, solid staff, building a stronger relationship with fans.

Really going to boil down to how we perform on field, are we competitive, are we showing improvement as a team and individually.

I think we are heading up the mountain and patience is going to pay off.

I don't disagree brother!...but as I have repeatedly said for a while now..the program is just recovering for the aftershocks of Rich's departure and you can measure that by the number of scholarship athletes the program has had since then...it is going to take another 3 years to calm the waters and Dana will definitely get his shot to fix things...and it looks like he is putting things together nicely.......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the staff on defense, seem Tony earned his shot at DC (for whatever reason) and Bradley will just add exp and a teacher. Maybe Bradley is comfortable in a behind the scenes position where he can still take shots at Pitt and Penn St through recruiting and coach with a friend. one thing that seem evident in both is they are high intensity and that is something we need on that side of the ball.

We knock EFForrest but until the debacle here he coached safeties at ok st for 10 years and seemed to do a respectable job.

Brian Mitchell seems to only be here for recruiting.

Cogdell is just going to have to prove he can coach as well as recruit....people knocked the move since he came from high school. What they forget is South Florida football is one of the minor league systems on the NCAA and he ran one of the more successful ones DEVELOPING players...outstanding hire for recruiting and bringing in someone who loves WVU

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dana gets more time, he really inherited a mess. Huggs inherited a decent team, and ran them down, they seam to be on the way back up now, but for some reason he gets a pass and Dana gets shoved to the dog house. I'm not saying Dana is the best coach out there, but he is learning. I also think when he gets the ship turned around he will stick around and not jump at the first opportunity that rises up. I believe he is trying to build something special here. Contrary to a lot of delusional fans WVU is not a destination place.

Bradley, is a good hire, I think him and Mitchel will help Gibson more then some may realize as he gets settled into his new position. Don't forget Eforest will help him also. He may have blundered the job, but as much as I don't like him he wasn't left much to work with either I believe will also have something to offer Gibson. There was not much left when Casteel left, and he new that. Most of the defense graduated in Casteel's last year. I'm glad the 3-3-5 is gone.

I think we are getting a good group of coaches, If this would happen to be Dana's last year, I do hope Bradley is not given the Head Coaching job. He done good as a DC but not sure if he is HC material. It will be interesting what Bradley does. I have a few PSU fans and several have told me he was not a good DC, he was just Paterno's whipping boy and done what Paterno told him and was just a figure there for Paterno's D. I'm not giving that a lot of stock, as only two of them said something to that effect. The rest had nothing but praise for him.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley's numbers speak for themselves