• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We all like Trubisky, but...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to hold him accountable a bit. Not that today was by ANY STRETCH his fault.

However, there isn't a single part of his game which you can point to, and say; "He has grown there". Outside of some footwork stuff this week, and getting back to basics after last week's disaster. Overall, he just has not shown any signs of progress since his first couple of starts.

He doesn't keep his eye level downfield when he's under duress and scrambling. He panics in the pocket, and often flushes straight INTO pressure. Today was better from a technical standpoint. However, it came more as a result of us getting back to SUPER basics, after we had tried to open it up a little in the previous two weeks. He didn't really "improve". He just normalized after a putrid performance in Philly.

The CFL caliber supporting cast he has on the outside is not his fault. The doddering coaching staff is not his fault. However, these issues remaining ever-present and stagnant... that IS his fault. When he fires a rocket ball 8 feet over an open receivers head, like we've seen throughout his stint as the starter... that's not anybody else's fault. When he panics under duress, and it results in a lost play. That's not anybody else's fault. When he hesitates upon seeing an open receiver and hitches like we see, before pulling it back in. That's not anybody else's fault.

We can bitch and moan about the play-calling all we want. However, when a QB has as many glaring technical issues as Trubisky shows, of course it's going to make your play-calling vanilla and clog things up at the line of scrimmage.

I really get excited by the kid's ability, and he has moments where you see what he is capable of. He also has a GREAT attitude, which will help him overcome these issues. However, the honeymoon is kind of over. IMO. I don't need to see him lighting it up, but I do need to see some signs of progress in the areas he struggles in.

I just wish we could fast-forward to next year. When he (presumably) has a better crop of receivers, and (hopefully) a better coaching staff. So, we can actually take his performances at face-value. Instead of all of this conjecture week-in and week-out, about "whose fault was it besides Trub this week, that we still average 13 points per game?"... or whatever it is that this dog shit offense manages.

I've just heard all of these excuses that we're currently making for Trub before. The O-line is the problem... the receivers are the problem... the play-calling is the problem. Rex, Orton... Cutler... etc... I mean, we've been down this road so many times. All of those guys got those excuses, until one day we realized "Oh, shit... it is that dude's fault too".

Trub's not just surrounded by a bad offense. He's very much apart of it.

Please, realize that I still VERY much like Trub. I just am starting to see some familiar patterns surface again within this fan-base. There's a tendency to protect the kid from criticism, and rush to his defense. This is likely because we're all so hopeful for him, and want so badly for this time to be different.

I just think I am going to reserve myself from getting my hopes up this time around. I'll wait until he shows me something legitimate, and consistently so. Before I invest myself into believing in the kid. I can't afford the headache of the Cutler battles again, only to get let down at every important stop.

The kid has all of the raw ability in the world, but he has MOUNTAINS to climb before he deserves our stamp of approval as a "franchise QB". And... he hasn't even budged yet. After 8 starts, it's starting to get a LITTLE discouraging.

I'm still here with the young man. He has to take his lumps, and we suck as a team. I just think there has to be a little more honesty on our part about where he's at as a player.

I mean, for chrissake. There's a thread near the top of this forum, from a regular who said he believes Trubisky is currently ahead of Derek Carr and Jared Goff in value, as far as young NFL QB's go. Holy shit...

Here's to hoping he's a Jared Goff, who just needs a coaching/system change. :suds:

Go Trub, Go Bears

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to wishing we'd just selected Jamal Adams and kept our other draft picks we used to get this guy.

And so wbat do we do with the top five pick we'll have for the 2018 draft?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to wishing we'd just selected Jamal Adams and kept our other draft picks we used to get this guy.

And so wbat do we do with the top five pick we'll have for the 2018 draft?

I mean, Pace is all-in on this kid. So, it's not like we'll be taking Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.

I'm sure it will be something to help him develop. OL, WR... Something like that. Or maybe Pace just sticks to his best player available approach. However, I don't know. I feel like this whole off-season has to be about building around Trubisky.

Just have to hope we get our version of "Sean McVay" in here, to steer Trubisky onto the right course. I mean, we all see how it's been night/day with Goff, when he transitioned from Fisher to McVay this year. Which is encouraging, since I think Fox suffers from the same impairment Fisher did as a HC. A once bright football mind, has allowed the game to pass him up. The game changed, and he remained set in his ways.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying it. Suddenly our run game sucks too?

The biggest problem with this offense right now is the goddamned penalties. What was the yardage and game-swing in the Cohen return today called back because of a block that wasn't even necessary, aka stupid af. That was the game. No penalty there(Which had no effect on the play) and we win. The Philly game was one of the worst all season in that regard. They were 1st and 20, deep in theior own territory to start how many drives?

I think Trubisky would be fine if he had better than CFL receivers and an o-line that had any consistency, in health and performance.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The biggest problem with this offense right now is the goddamned penalties. What was the yardage and game-swing in the Cohen return today called back because of a block that wasn't even necessary, aka stupid af. That was the game. No penalty there(Which had no effect on the play) and we win. The Philly game was one of the worst all season in that regard. They were 1st and 20, deep in theior own territory to start how many drives?

I think Trubisky would be fine if he had better than CFL receivers and an o-line that had any consistency, in health and performance.

SPT's penalties have no bearing on Trubisky's performance. If you want to gripe about that play because we lost, fine. However, we're 3-9... losing really doesn't matter much anymore.

Penalties is our biggest problem? This was our offense's LONE penalty today.
  • 2nd and 10 at CHI 25
    (11:52 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Trubisky pass short left to T.Cohen pushed ob at 50 for 25 yards (E.Reid). PENALTY on CHI-C.Leno, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at CHI 31.

• 2nd and 14 at CHI 21

They were 1st and 20, deep in their own territory to start how many drives?

0... That happened zero times.

We had 4 penalties for 29 yards, and only one on the offense. Which made a 2nd and 10, 2nd and 14 (flag was on block downfield)

Like I said, things get clogged up at the line of scrimmage when a team has absolutely no respect in your ability to stretch the field. Trubisky scares nobody, and while it's not all his fault. He plays his share in it too...

We just posted a grand total of 147 yards against the 30th ranked defense in the NFL. We have a lot more problems than our ONE penalty, and Trubisky's lack of progress is squarely in the mix of things to blame. Again, it's not all his fault. However, what's obvious, is obvious. He has not improved, and the majority of these little technical things don't really have much to do with who is playing around you either.

It's time we put Trubisky into perspective. It doesn't mean we've given up on him.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back to where I was becore the draft. If you don't have the rest of the pieces in place, dont waste a high pick on a QB unless its a transcendent talent. By the time we figure out if Trubs is the guy, his rookie deal will be expiring and it will be like the Skins and Cousins... Either pony up $25 million to keep him, or let him go and start over. Neither option is preferrable.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were 1st and 20, deep in their own territory to start how many drives?

0... That happened zero times.

We had 4 penalties for 29 yards, and only one on the offense. Which made a 2nd and 10, 2nd and 14 (flag was on block downfield)

In the Philly game?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Philly game?

In the Philly game, we had one 1st and 20. Another 2nd and 9 turned 2nd and 14 because of a Shaheen false start. 9 penalties for 56 yards, while Philly had 11 for 70 yards.

No one's saying the team didn't ALL play bad, but to try to deflect away from how horrendous Trub played... because of penalties? Is pretty silly.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Philly game, we had one 1st and 20. Another 2nd and 9 turned 2nd and 14 because of a Shaheen false start. 9 penalties for 56 yards, while Philly had 11 for 70 yards.

No one's saying the team didn't ALL play bad, but to try to deflect away from how horrendous Trub played... because of penalties? Is pretty silly.

The offense looked terrible as a whole in that game, and could get zero momentum going and when they did get something good, it would be negated by a penalty.

Penalties are tough to just read the statline on. When they occur has a lot to do with their significance. Like say, Brauneker's illegal block yesterday. That was game-losing penalty, in a way. Penalties that negate 3rd down conversions...killers to an offense.

I never said Trubs couldn't be criticized, but you just seem like a repeat of some espn daytime talk show er some shit. 5 weeks ago, yer talking up his skillset, couple bad games, and suddenly his technique is shit and he's not ready for the NFL.

It's just dramatic.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears should have just had Trubisky sit on the bench and learn from the veteran QB. It's asking quite a lot to start him as a rookie and expect great results.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news for the Bears is they will have a high first round pick in 2018.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense looked terrible as a whole in that game, and could get zero momentum going and when they did get something good, it would be negated by a penalty.

Penalties are tough to just read the statline on. When they occur has a lot to do with their significance. Like say, Brauneker's illegal block yesterday. That was game-losing penalty, in a way. Penalties that negate 3rd down conversions...killers to an offense.

I never said Trubs couldn't be criticized, but you just seem like a repeat of some espn daytime talk show er some shit. 5 weeks ago, yer talking up his skillset, couple bad games, and suddenly his technique is shit and he's not ready for the NFL.

It's just dramatic.

The offense looked terrible as a whole in that game

Yes, and Trubisky was a part of that. He wasn't just a victim.

Penalties that negate 3rd down conversions...killers to an offense.

We haven't had one of those the past two weeks.

5 weeks ago, yer talking up his skillset

Try one post ago. I still am talking up his skill-set.

Again, this is what I am talking about. You only see my very slight criticisms, and blow them so far out of proportion. I am literally ONLY saying that the kid has a lot of growing to do.

It's just dramatic

I find your emotional reaction to be quite dramatic man. Really, you're so far off of the rails here. Seriously... ESPN talk show? I am a fan of the team, who is being honest about a struggling QB. I cannot re-iterate more than I have, that I'm still right there with the kid and love his skill-set.

I mean, this fan-base just has a protective nature towards Trub, but outside of that... Most are reflecting what I am saying. No one is saying he's not going to be good, just that there's some real flaws. Example, PFF:

QB MITCHELL TRUBISKY, 56.5 OVERALL GRADE
Trubisky’s conservatism has limited his production early in his NFL career. He failed to attempt a single pass longer than 19 yards in the air, and threw only two passes beyond ten yards. Trubisky looked gun-shy on a couple of occasions in the pocket, inviting pressure through an inability to pull the trigger. As well as taking a couple of sacks, he also scrambled early on a couple third downs, allowing the 49ers to get off the field. Accounting for the two drops and throwaway, Trubisky ended up perfect on all 15 of his attempts. It was the throws he didn’t attempt, however, that represent a concern.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you pulled up the negated 3rd down conversion stat pretty fast.

I couldn't even find that stat? Anyway, whatever you say dude. You say he's not NFL-ready, I say, no shit, he's a rookie on a terrible team.

Tomato/tomahto

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you pulled up the negated 3rd down conversion stat pretty fast.

I couldn't even find that stat? Anyway, whatever you say dude. You say he's not NFL-ready, I say, no shit, he's a rookie on a terrible team.

Tomato/tomahto

It's quite easy to sift through this.

Bears vs. Eagles - Play-By-Play - November 26, 2017 - ESPN

he's a rookie on a terrible team.

Yes, he is hurt by his supporting cast. I have said this. You don't have to keep re-iterating that. We all know it... and I have made it clear that I know it.

However, his mechanical flaws, along with his issues in the pocket and his hesitation to throw at open receivers don't much have to do with that. I realize not throwing to open receivers, may have to do with a trust thing. However, that's also somewhat odd, considering he has no problem trying to fit a lot of other passes into tight windows.

My biggest thing is his footwork, which leads to his inaccuracy. Along with his overall panicky nature in the pocket. A huge chunk of the sacks he has taken are on him, and not the line.

These are tangibly evident things he needs to work on. Please, stop acting like I'm the bad guy for simply mentioning it. Yeesh

He needs a new coach, in a terrible way. We all know it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite easy to sift through this.

Bears vs. Eagles - Play-By-Play - November 26, 2017 - ESPN

he's a rookie on a terrible team.

Yes, he is hurt by his supporting cast. I have said this. You don't have to keep re-iterating that. We all know it... and I have made it clear that I know it.

However, his mechanical flaws, along with his issues in the pocket and his hesitation to throw at open receivers don't much have to do with that. I realize not throwing to open receivers, may have to do with a trust thing. However, that's also somewhat odd, considering he has no problem trying to fit a lot of other passes into tight windows.

My biggest thing is his footwork, which leads to his inaccuracy. Along with his overall panicky nature in the pocket. A huge chunk of the sacks he has taken are on him, and not the line.

These are tangibly evident things he needs to work on. Please, stop acting like I'm the bad guy for simply mentioning it. Yeesh

He needs a new coach, in a terrible way. We all know it.

Ok, cool..first offensive series. My bad, not first and 20, but starting at the 5 due to a holding on the punt return. Not that the 9 yard line would've been much better, but it all adds up. Drive ends with a 34 yard punt.

Philly takes advantage of the short field and gets a TD.

Second series, the offense blew good field position. (This is their only drive to not start inside their own 10 in their first 4 series')

3rd series, start 1st and 20, due to hold on Tre McBride. Santos misses 54 yarder. Another short field for Philly...TD

4th series. 1st and 10 from our own 8, due to an illegal block on the kick. Holding on Leno on first down. Now 1st and 14 from the 4 yard line. Trubisky fumbles, 2nd and 17 from the 1. Another short field for Philly results in 3 and a 17-0 lead at this point.

So pretty much exactly what I said happened in the Philly game.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th series they finally start at their own 24, and run first and second down off guard. 3rd and 8 for the Offense.

Behind in down and distance all but one drive out of 5, with 3 of the 5 starting inside their own 5.

Tough to get any rhythm as an offense when you are starting behind the 8 ball on every drive.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not making excuses originally, just pointing out, that the game worked against us from the onset. They couldn't get out of their own way, and a lot of that was due to penalties that pinned us back deep. If a QB's playbook is reduced already due to him being a rookie, it's cut ib half again, when we start at our own 4 yardline every fucking drive.

That game snowballed early, and we simply do not have the WRs to throw the ball all day and come from behind.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubs will be fine....its hard for him to go forward when the team has no o-line,wr and te to go forward with......We all knew what to expect this year with him,and I like the thought he`s acyually getting the reps he needs.
Sorry hes not a Watson,Wentz or Winston,they have the playmakers to make them good so far in their careers,,,,Trubs doesn`t..........I`ll wait till next sdeason before a little more criticism from me........

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not going to be too harsh until we see what he does in the off-season. QBs can grow a lot in their first offseason. I still believe he’s going to be a very good qb in this league.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, cool..first offensive series. My bad, not first and 20, but starting at the 5 due to a holding on the punt return. Not that the 9 yard line would've been much better, but it all adds up. Drive ends with a 34 yard punt.

Philly takes advantage of the short field and gets a TD.

Second series, the offense blew good field position. (This is their only drive to not start inside their own 10 in their first 4 series')

3rd series, start 1st and 20, due to hold on Tre McBride. Santos misses 54 yarder. Another short field for Philly...TD

4th series. 1st and 10 from our own 8, due to an illegal block on the kick. Holding on Leno on first down. Now 1st and 14 from the 4 yard line. Trubisky fumbles, 2nd and 17 from the 1. Another short field for Philly results in 3 and a 17-0 lead at this point.

So pretty much exactly what I said happened in the Philly game.

So, what's your point...???

We had bad field position? Of course, we didn't pickup a single first down until the 3rd quarter.

We committed a first down hold? We had a block in the back on a return? Is this supposed to be some rare feat, that only the Bears have managed? That changes nothing about our young QB's performance.

These is just, irrelevant things you are telling me. How does this possibly explain all of the horrendous throws Trubisky made in that game?

There isn't a way to spin Trubisky's performance against Philly. You do know that, right? He was bad. Very bad. Like... you understand that, right? I don't have to explain that...?....... Please, tell me that I don't have to explain that.

Beardown, saying Trubisky played a bad game, or giving a slight critique of his play. Is not condemning or labeling him. It's just being an honest fan.