• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way Too Early Trade Ideas

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, like others, don't believe this team as it stands looks like a W.S. playing team. We might as well look ahead on what could possibly help us because I believe most believe that Quentin won't be the difference maker (though he may help). So these are are early suggestions, but reality should be used.

Get: Hamels and Utley (needs to approve any deal)

Trade: Elias and Peterson.

Why?: It would be a risky overpay based on potential, but we get two proven vets that would bring leadership and talent at two needed positions (SP and 1B).

Negatives: Salary. Loss of Peterson (who I am less sold on as I was last year at this point).

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking about some possibilities earlier today. I was thinking about it because of the addition of Quentin and the team wanting to get a look at him. I wonder if adding him is a sign they are already looking at upgrade options.

I don't mind trading Peterson. I might get some backlash for this one but I don't have an issue with trading Walker either if the price is right.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would Utley play? DH?

I like you're idea, especially since i'm not an Elias fan...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another:

Get: Gomez and Lohse

Trade: Elias and Peterson and Jackson

Why?: Gomez is a game changer at bat and in the field though he gets injured somewhat. Lohse is that veteran starter this team could use. Brewers get younger and need changes. Gomez fits Brewers long term plans, but they need more players with potential so they have to deal him if they want to add younger, cheaper talent.

Negatives: Don't see any for us, but doubt Brewers pull the trigger.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking about some possibilities earlier today. I was thinking about it because of the addition of Quentin and the team wanting to get a look at him. I wonder if adding him is a sign they are already looking at upgrade options.

I don't mind trading Peterson. I might get some backlash for this one but I don't have an issue with trading Walker either if the price is right.

As you know, I am not against trading Walker either. I like the kid and how he carries himself, but haven't been sold the last couple years on his ceiling. Maybe he gets his control fixed and takes the next step, but a few concerns for me about him with control and injuries being the top 2. Hope I am wrong...which what I say about him the last couple of years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would Utley play? DH?

I like you're idea, especially since i'm not an Elias fan...

For me Utley plays 1B. He has played there twice I believe this year already. He is not a long term addition, but I am playing for this year if I am the M's. I mean this latest building project has taken longer to finish than the Empire State Building.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys aren't giving up enough. If you want a Hamels your gonna have to do a peterson and jackson plus elias to get it done....

Im not against trading peterson either.... I wouldn't trade jackson. But you guys are shooting for tyhe stars with hamels and gomez.... gonna take more then what your offering

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im all for getting Gomez if that is at all possible. Offense aside good defensive center fielders are getting more scarce nowadays and he is definitely one of them.
I think I kind of expected more from Jackson defensively. It just seems like there are a lot of balls that drop in front of him that I feel like he should be able to get to. Maybe that's unfair because we have been spoiled with guys like Griffey and Cameron in the past.

I have been consistent when saying I'm not sold on Walker either. You can have as electric as stuff as you want, its useless without consistent control. I still have only seen one really good start in his career. If he couldn't do better then that last start at home against the Astros then I'm unsure when he will. Maybe the lights will click soon. Hopefully.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im all for getting Gomez if that is at all possible. Offense aside good defensive center fielders are getting more scarce nowadays and he is definitely one of them.
I think I kind of expected more from Jackson defensively. It just seems like there are a lot of balls that drop in front of him that I feel like he should be able to get to. Maybe that's unfair because we have been spoiled with guys like Griffey and Cameron in the past.

I have been consistent when saying I'm not sold on Walker either. You can have as electric as stuff as you want, its useless without consistent control. I still have only seen one really good start in his career. If he couldn't do better then that last start at home against the Astros then I'm unsure when he will. Maybe the lights will click soon. Hopefully.

I was listening to the radio on the way in the other day. So the details aren't 100% accurate, but John Smoltz' rookie year, They went to the world series,,, he started the year something like 2-10 or 2-12......

Win loss records not the best stat but what im trying to get is, sometimes it takes a little while for guys to get it. The majors are really really hard......not everyone is like King Felix or Mike Trout and just a superstar right out the gates......

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the radio on the way in the other day. So the details aren't 100% accurate, but John Smoltz' rookie year, They went to the world series,,, he started the year something like 2-10 or 2-12......

Win loss records not the best stat but what im trying to get is, sometimes it takes a little while for guys to get it. The majors are really really hard......not everyone is like King Felix or Mike Trout and just a superstar right out the gates......

I use to watch the Braves all the time back then because of every game being on TNT and M's had about 20 games a year on TV. The whole crew of Avery, Smoltz, Glavine, and Smith all took beatings in their respective rookie and some sophomore years. Difference to date with them vs Walker was that they all knew how to pitch and not just throw. Walker could still get there like them, but he really better work on his off speed pitches or its game over.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys aren't giving up enough. If you want a Hamels your gonna have to do a peterson and jackson plus elias to get it done....

Im not against trading peterson either.... I wouldn't trade jackson. But you guys are shooting for tyhe stars with hamels and gomez.... gonna take more then what your offering

Not sure why Phillies would want Jackson and his expiring contract. They are in pure rebuild mode and want to recoup young, cheap talent. They haven't exactly been blown away on offers for Hamels. I figure Utley would be traded as a thank you for all your service to the franchise. Maybe they add Miller in the deal. It just depends on desperate they become with their situation and knowing that the longer they hold onto Hamels the bigger the risk of his value going down. He value can't go up because as a vet he has established it by now. :2cents:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference to date with them vs Walker was that they all knew how to pitch and not just throw. Walker could still get there like them, but he really better work on his off speed pitches or its game over.

Yea I'm seeing the same thing. He looked like he was developing the curve nicely in spring training but now it seems like he's afraid to throw it. Also tends to nibble once he gets two strikes sometimes. Specifically noticed that when he walked Chris Carter twice, a guy who Ks more then zunino.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Phillies would want Jackson and his expiring contract. They are in pure rebuild mode and want to recoup young, cheap talent. They haven't exactly been blown away on offers for Hamels. I figure Utley would be traded as a thank you for all your service to the franchise. Maybe they add Miller in the deal. It just depends on desperate they become with their situation and knowing that the longer they hold onto Hamels the bigger the risk of his value going down. He value can't go up because as a vet he has established it by now. :2cents:

I meant Alex Jackson,

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I'm seeing the same thing. He looked like he was developing the curve nicely in spring training but now it seems like he's afraid to throw it. Also tends to nibble once he gets two strikes sometimes. Specifically noticed that when he walked Chris Carter twice, a guy who Ks more then zunino.

Spot on. I was saying the exact same thing while watching on TV. Somebody told him to throw 90% fastballs and worry about the other pitches later. That won't last in the majors for long. Let him learn how to pitch in Tacoma and sign(too late now) a vet to eat innings but with an arm still left.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant Alex Jackson,

Ahhh, my bad. Then I would simply say no way! That kid was so impressive in spring and at such a young age. This is the first M's kid to look like the real deal since A-Fraud. I would keep him until the wheels fell off and would run the risk of him being a flop. He is that impressive to me and I rarely say that about a M's prospect.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, my bad. Then I would simply say no way! That kid was so impressive in spring and at such a young age. This is the first M's kid to look like the real deal since A-Fraud. I would keep him until the wheels fell off and would run the risk of him being a flop. He is that impressive to me and I rarely say that about a M's prospect.

Agree I dont trade Jackson, but you wont get Hamels with just elias and peterson (im totally on board trading peterson tho)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree I dont trade Jackson, but you wont get Hamels with just elias and peterson (im totally on board trading peterson tho)

Probably right. I wouldn't add much to it. It has to be worth it and not a total giveaway. I would do more for the Gomez/Lohse trade because I really like Gomez even though he is high spirited let's say.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, like others, don't believe this team as it stands looks like a W.S. playing team. We might as well look ahead on what could possibly help us because I believe most believe that Quentin won't be the difference maker (though he may help). So these are are early suggestions, but reality should be used.

Get: Hamels and Utley (needs to approve any deal)

Trade: Elias and Peterson.

Why?: It would be a risky overpay based on potential, but we get two proven vets that would bring leadership and talent at two needed positions (SP and 1B).

Negatives: Salary. Loss of Peterson (who I am less sold on as I was last year at this point).

I would be very, very relunctant to trade Elias right now given the way Iwakuma, Walker and Paxton have started the season.

They might get a decent player with a Chris Taylor/Danny Farquar package. Or Dominic Leone. Or Yoervis Medina. Or Tom Wilhelmsen. James Jones and Stefan Romero may have limited value also. Carson Smith is one guy I would not let go of unless the return is too good to pass up. Smith will be the closer here next year - assumming he does not take over that role at some point this year.

And I really don't know what might be available right now that would help. I guess you could get some established vet that is questionably damaged goods like Carlos Gonzalez or Ryan Braun. But I don't think I'd want to take a chance on either guy for the payroll dollars they would control and minor league talent we would have to give up. The problem with trying to acquire position players now days is that less teams are having fire sales and less teams are letting position players walk as free agents.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great way to early idea for me would be checking in on Cueto. Final year of his deal and the sides didn't seem to get anywhere on an extension. Being an expiring contract he may not cost an arm and a leg. Guy is a proven innings eater. I won't speculate on a package cuz I doubt it happens but it would make me very happy.