• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way too early top 25

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looks like Rivals has already put out a top 25 for next season. No one really knows which teams are going to be good next season, but there are some picks on this list that are downright stupid.

An early, early look at the 2012 Preseason Top 25 - College Football - Rivals.com

Personal Favorites:
-Stanford at #20. Are they too dumb to realize that Andrew Luck drives their team? They were bottom dwellers in the Pac 10 until he came along. Their two best offensive lineman are also leaving.
-Ohio State at #18. They argue that their defense should be "devastating" next season and that their offense has "holes to fill". How can they rank Ohio State higher than Virginia Tech when our defense will be better than theirs, and arguably has less holes to fill on offense?
-USC not at #1. I know that USC always manages to choke, but they are the team to beat next season. Stopping their offense will be damn near impossible with Barkley, Woods, and their dominating O-line. Their defense should probably be good enough.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long until we see one that has Notre Dame at #1? I'm going to say 2-3 months from now. Preseason polls are pretty pointless anyway, but the only ones I really pay attention to are right before the season starts. It's all speculation anyway. I doubt anybody saw FSU struggling on offense or Clemson riding the roller coaster they did this year.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are way too low at #21. i think we should be more like 14. we only lose 2 defensive starters, and i feel that our offensive line will be more than fine next season.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has a pretty good power run game, so its not like they will be entirely lost if they get a half decent QB. I can see how they would still rate them in the top 25 without Luck.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starters projected to return: 11
Buzz: QB Logan Thomas will be the only returnee of note on offense, meaning coaches will need to do yeoman work in spring drills developing depth at tailback and wide receiver. But there will be no such concerns on defense, which could be the best in the ACC next fall. A talented front seven means it’s going to be hard for foes to run on the Hokies. The secondary will have two new starters, but it still should be an OK unit.

I would say DJ Coles, Dyrell, and Marcus Davis are worthy of 'noting,' and we're always adequate at RB.

And since has our secondary ever been 'an OK unit'??? Our D should be dominating next year.

If I were ranking us, I would have us in the 13-16 range, especially with the hype Michigan is getting.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that probably shouldnt be ranked ahead of us going into next year:
Oklahoma St - No Weeden, no Blackmon
Ohio State - was 6-6 last year and could have been worse
Nebraska - painful offense
Michigan St - see above
Stanford - No Luck

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say DJ Coles, Dyrell, and Marcus Davis are worthy of 'noting,' and we're always adequate at RB.

And since has our secondary ever been 'an OK unit'??? Our D should be dominating next year.

If I were ranking us, I would have us in the 13-16 range, especially with the hype Michigan is getting.

See that's what annoyed me. How is Michigan that much higher than us? The primary reason we dominated that game was that our defensive front 7 owned them. Are any of those players leaving? Logan also played a stellar game. Is he leaving? I am well aware that losing Wilson, Coale, Boykin, and our O-line will hurt us, but we have some good wide receivers stepping in and our O-line was never a dominating force.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
These idiots base their projections off the bowl games because it's way too early to make these predictions. Michigan won so they get a big bump. If we had won, we would have been overranked.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
These idiots base their projections off the bowl games because it's way too early to make these predictions. Michigan won so they get a big bump. If we had won, we would have been overranked.

Which is ironic, given that VT dominated that game, except on the scoreboard.

Though Michigan won on paper, the score was basically a draw.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All aboard the FSU Hype Train! CHOO CHOOOOO!

Different year, same story.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU, ND, Michigan, OSU, and MSU all over rated just about every year

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
17 returning starters for the Blowjans, damn.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some writers at Espn (Schlabach I think) AND CnnSI.com (Staples) both had us ranked at #17-#18 range. I think this is fair. To be honest, I would rather be overlooked, underrated, and ranked lower to start the season, so I am fine with these rankings. It seems that the years that we have started out top 10 are typically the years we(based on preseason rankings) underachieve.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im cool with fsu being hyped again. this time we get a shot at them in the regular season, so if we were to win that game it would really boost us...

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear FSU will have the best defense in the country next year. :L

Heard that last year too...

I'm certain that Georgia & LSU will have a better D than FSU.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering where Miami is on that list?

I've heard that the swagger is back.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering where Miami is on that list?

I've heard that the swagger is back.

yeah really?? they only lost the whole team to the draft and are facing NCAA penalties.

actually its funny that it took that much to finally not have them in a preseason top 25.