• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WATT??? Burning out on the JJ Hype

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I respectfully disagree with the premise that an MVP candidate has to be on a play-off team. Frankly I consider that complete BS. Apart from the rampant hypocrisy considering in the rather selective application of the 'V' in the debate; because it is utter BS that just about every other season a QB is the most valuable player of the league. Pure stat-driven glory boy nonsense.

It is pretty much like Easterbrook has identified the Heisman, paraphrasing it to become a trophy for the 'QB/RB with the best stats.'

Of course, with the QB's and RB's it is often ignored what makes his performance possible (see Manning in Denver or even Indianapolis for one).

What is the player who - comparatively - does most with the least around him; the biggest difference maker, adding the most value to the team. Not even close. And therefore he should be the runaway MVP. If not for Watt, Houston probably would be a bottom feeder in the league...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree with the premise that an MVP candidate has to be on a play-off team. Frankly I consider that complete BS. Apart from the rampant hypocrisy considering in the rather selective application of the 'V' in the debate; because it is utter BS that just about every other season a QB is the most valuable player of the league. Pure stat-driven glory boy nonsense.

It is pretty much like Easterbrook has identified the Heisman, paraphrasing it to become a trophy for the 'QB/RB with the best stats.'

Of course, with the QB's and RB's it is often ignored what makes his performance possible (see Manning in Denver or even Indianapolis for one).

What is the player who - comparatively - does most with the least around him; the biggest difference maker, adding the most value to the team. Not even close. And therefore he should be the runaway MVP. If not for Watt, Houston probably would be a bottom feeder in the league...

Or is it a case of biggest fish in a little pond? Who looks better, the great player surrounded by great players or the great player surrounded by shit?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Watt is the only thing the Texans have going for them.

Clowney is a joke and shouldn't play the rest of this year and cushing is getting old. The fact that Watt can dominate with crap around him is simply amazing.

he is the MVP and should be.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ Watt is the only thing the Texans have going for them.

Clowney is a joke and shouldn't play the rest of this year and cushing is no good without PED's. The fact that Watt can dominate with crap around him is simply amazing.

he is the MVP and should be.

fixed

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or is it a case of biggest fish in a little pond? Who looks better, the great player surrounded by great players or the great player surrounded by shit?

I would say the great player surrounded by great players will look better. I think Emmitt Smith is a very good example of that - without that O-line he would not have had a sniff at the rushing record... might not even be a Hall of Famer... If Manning had had the crap at WR that - for instance - McNabb had to work with for most of his career, he would not have had half the records he has had now. Troy Aikman probably would not have had a sniff at the Hall of Fame...

The definition of most valuable player, is the player who improves his fellow players and team around him the most. Who makes them look better the most. And there is no doubt JJ Watt does so more than Manning or Rodgers - at least this year....

Even more so, a very good player surrounded might stand out in comparison to his teammates, but rarely if ever will stand out in comparison to the rest of the league - something that JJ Watt definitely does...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the great player surrounded by great players will look better. I think Emmitt Smith is a very good example of that - without that O-line he would not have had a sniff at the rushing record... might not even be a Hall of Famer... If Manning had had the crap at WR that - for instance - McNabb had to work with for most of his career, he would not have had half the records he has had now. Troy Aikman probably would not have had a sniff at the Hall of Fame...

The definition of most valuable player, is the player who improves his fellow players and team around him the most. Who makes them look better the most. And there is no doubt JJ Watt does so more than Manning or Rodgers - at least this year....

Even more so, a very good player surrounded might stand out in comparison to his teammates, but rarely if ever will stand out in comparison to the rest of the league - something that JJ Watt definitely does...

That's what it should be.

Not really a counterpoint, but what they should have are 2 awards...most outstanding player, and MVP...having a great year on a team that went nowhere means what exactly?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLEASE JJ Watt for MVP. I'm SO tired of QBs getting it. There's little difference from having a Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Luck/Brees/Rivers etc. on your team. Sure some of those guys sling the ball better than others, but whatever, they all get the QB job 'done'.

There is a HUGE difference from having JJ Watt on your team compared to ANY other DE in the league.

Put JJ Watt on Seattle and watch Manning/Rodgers (etc.) CRUMBLE. It wouldn't even be a contest. Sherman would be yawning the entire game and Thomas would be kicking turf in the backfield out of boredom.

MVP for NFL needs a re-vamp. In 2005 yah Shaun Alexander killed it, but Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson (and Seattle's entire line) deserved a collective MVP. Heck, Josh Brown (kicker) was the reason they locked up homefield, he had multiple clutch game winning field goals that year. Where was his MVP?

That or just change it so we have two MVPs. Most valuable QB, and most valuable somebody else.

Last edited by a moderator:

LooseChange

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL ought to adapt a special award for QB's only, similar to the Cy Young in baseball. The MVP would then be for any other position other than QB. It's not perfect but neither is giving the MVP to the QB with the gaudiest stats each and every year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL ought to adapt a special award for QB's only, similar to the Cy Young in baseball. The MVP would then be for any other position other than QB. It's not perfect but neither is giving the MVP to the QB with the gaudiest stats each and every year.

Agreed entirely. Maybe in a rare circumstance that a QB just shatters a record or destroys a historical stat they can get both, but yah - gotta change.

The QB by nature is the MVP in and of itself for NFL. If you have a crap QB, you're likely not going anywhere. A couple teams throughout the years seem to defy this, most recently the 01 Ravens with Trent Dilfer, but still... just happens so rarely.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont they give out an offensive player of the year award?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed entirely. Maybe in a rare circumstance that a QB just shatters a record or destroys a historical stat they can get both, but yah - gotta change.

The QB by nature is the MVP in and of itself for NFL. If you have a crap QB, you're likely not going anywhere. A couple teams throughout the years seem to defy this, most recently the 01 Ravens with Trent Dilfer, but still... just happens so rarely.

Yep...should be 2 awards. Extremely rare a DEF player will win MVP.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You just ruined JJ Watt's arguement with your homerism.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you don't think that Manning improves his teammates, frankly you're clueless. Compare the Broncos offensive numbers before Manning got there and after and it's not even close. Look at what Emmanuel Sanders did in Pittsburgh and compare that to what he's doing now. Look at the drop off in production from Eric Decker this season.

The MVP should only go to a player on a playoff team. Why? Because what value did you add to your team if you didn't make the playoffs? Whether you win 8 games with Watt and miss the playoffs or you win 2 games with Watt and miss the playoffs, either way you missed the playoffs. Isn't the point to get in the playoffs?

Watt is a great player and the gap between him and the second best player at his position is probably bigger than any other position. But that doesn't make him the most valuable player. And if you don't think that's true, ask yourself this: if you put Aaron Rodgers on the Texans and take away Watt at the beginning of the season, would the Texans be better, worse, or about the same as they are now?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My opinion is Manning makes those around him better moreso than Watt does.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is Manning makes those around him better moreso than Watt does.

True, but kind of the nature of the position on some level...PM does it better than others, but all good QBs make others better.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but kind of the nature of the position on some level...PM does it better than others, but all good QBs make others better.

true, that's the nature of the beast. The person who has the ball the most often tends to have the biggest impact on their team. That is why QB and RB get the most credit.

The argument could be made that deep snapper is the MVP, because if you don't have one that is almost 100% you are going to have a much worse team :)