• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Washington finishes 3rd

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does the manager of a team that has won the AL 2 years in a row only get 1 1st place vote and finish 3rd behind Maddon and Leyland?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their logic is probably that our team is stacked and plays in a weak division, and TB and DET were the opposite. Maybe the cocaine issue still lingers for Wash? I'm not real upset that he didn't win. I do love him as a manager and wouldn't want anyone else, that's really all that matters. Is he the best in AL though, I don't know, it's tough to call. Finishing 3rd is still pretty good. At least he beat Girardi.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember...votes are cast before the postseason...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're on the subject I'm not sure about Hellickson winning ROTY over Trumbo either

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably.

Saying he finished third doesn't sound so bad till you look at the vote totals. Hard to lay it off on Wash managing in a weak division considering it took a massive collapse by Boston for the Rays to finish as a wild card. Not to mention the guy who finished 3rd managed his team to a WS berth.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying he finished third doesn't sound so bad till you look at the vote totals. Hard to lay it off on Wash managing in a weak division considering it took a massive collapse by Boston for the Rays to finish as a wild card. Not to mention the guy who finished 3rd managed his team to a WS berth.

Yeah and the media was acting like the Rays were red hot, playing lights out baseball, but really they were just playing "pretty good" and Boston was playing "WTF LOL" type baseball. Still impressive that Maddon won so many teams with a bunch of dudes who can't hit and a completely new bullpen than he had the year before.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can see Maddon whose TBR weren't projected to repeat in the post season ... but not Leyland's DET that led the ALC for much of the season ... yet finished behind TEX in W/L.

If you ask Maddon or Leyland (or Ron Gardenhire last year) whether they'd like to be MOY ... or get their team to the World Series like Wash did ... they'd far prefer to do what Wash did ... back to back.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and the media was acting like the Rays were red hot, playing lights out baseball, but really they were just playing "pretty good" and Boston was playing "WTF LOL" type baseball. Still impressive that Maddon won so many teams with a bunch of dudes who can't hit and a completely new bullpen than he had the year before.

like i said: blatant East Coast Bias

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wash certainly should have been Manager of the Year in 2010. Do believe the Cocaine thing which happened during the 2009 Season lingers for Wash. However Maddon did a Great Job for the Rays this Past Season considering what He Lost. Don't have a issue with Joe Maddon winning Manager of the Year for the AL in 2011. But Gardenhire of the Twins getting it for last year over Wash was a joke.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Maddon whose TBR weren't projected to repeat in the post season ... but not Leyland's DET that led the ALC for much of the season ... yet finished behind TEX in W/L.

If you ask Maddon or Leyland (or Ron Gardenhire last year) whether they'd like to be MOY ... or get their team to the World Series like Wash did ... they'd far prefer to do what Wash did ... back to back.

I like Maddon a lot, but the bottom line is his team got hot for a month and still had help from a Boston team that cratered. Boston's talent had them ranked as one of the better teams in baseball and they spit the bit the last month. By comparison, Texas guided by Wash and his coaching staff kept his team above and beyond anything or any manager in the AL right up to game 7of the WS. How he finished so far behind Maddon or anybody else for that matter, makes the MOY voting a joke.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Maddon a lot, but the bottom line is his team got hot for a month and still had help from a Boston team that cratered. Boston's talent had them ranked as one of the better teams in baseball and they spit the bit the last month. By comparison, Texas guided by Wash and his coaching staff kept his team above and beyond anything or any manager in the AL right up to game 7of the WS. How he finished so far behind Maddon or anybody else for that matter, makes the MOY voting a joke.

oh my god, i have to agree with you for once

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Rangers successfully dealt with a ton of injuries to key guys this season. If everyone is healthy I believe they easily win 105 games. As it is they won a lot of games. Washington is a very underrated manager.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Rangers successfully dealt with a ton of injuries to key guys this season. If everyone is healthy I believe they easily win 105 games. As it is they won a lot of games. Washington is a very underrated manager.

but according to the voters, that wasn't important. they put more stock in the last 10 games of the season than anything important like that.

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I couldn't agree more. Wash has taken the Rangers to a Level they have never been before. The Cocaine Thing definately cost Wash the 2010 Manager of the Year Award.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how does the manager of a team that has won the AL 2 years in a row only get 1 1st place vote and finish 3rd behind Maddon and Leyland?

I don't question Maddon - solid choice. Leyland over Washington - coin toss in my humble opinion. Being a Tiger fan, I see all Leyland's mistakes so I'm probably being too harsh.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't question Maddon - solid choice. Leyland over Washington - coin toss in my humble opinion. Being a Tiger fan, I see all Leyland's mistakes so I'm probably being too harsh.

i don't question Maddon being considered for MOY. i do question his selection as MOY. he would be my unarguable choice for finishing 2nd behind Wash