• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was I a victim of media hype? (to you Jag fans)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I saw on TV during the preseason is Bortles looking pretty good & outperforming Henne.
Then I just read that Henne is officially your week 1 starter

So did I fall victim to the media or does the jags not believe in putting the best players on the field?

I understand the idea of not starting a rookie QB, but if he is outplaying the vet. Let him get his exp. early I say.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: do we have actually have a jags fan sighting here??? Except for Hu, masquerading as one? :pound:

Seriously tho, I'm with you Schmoopy, the days of easing a rookie QB in are long past. The best performance on the field should win the job, IMO.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf: do we have actually have a jags fan sighting here??? Except for Hu, masquerading as one? :pound:

Seriously tho, I'm with you Schmoopy, the days of easing a rookie QB in are long past. The best performance on the field should win the job, IMO.

LOL
I didn't go to the Jags board because I would figure they would think it was trolling, guess I should have checked over there to see if anyone was even there. :becky:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from day 1 jags organization =(not media) said that henne would play

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles was never going to be the starter out the gate. Well, barring a Henne injury or total faceplant anyway. Not really a competition for the starting gig in camp.

Im in the other camp on QBs. Plenty of learning to be done by watching. Even if its learning what not to do.

And I don't think it's out of the question for a Henne led Jags team to be .500 this year

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles was never going to be the starter out the gate. Well, barring a Henne injury or total faceplant anyway. Not really a competition for the starting gig in camp.

Im in the other camp on QBs. Plenty of learning to be done by watching. Even if its learning what not to do.

And I don't think it's out of the question for a Henne led Jags team to be .500 this year

Agree with this, but not if you aren't putting your best player on the field. I thought he was the future, so why not play him if he outperforms? :noidea:

I haven't spent anytime following the Jags, so I really don't know the thinking there...but will look at them closely soon, as my skins play them week 2. Hell, if Bortles is better and they're sitting him, great news, Ha!

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles has looked really good. He seems very calm in the pocket and he's making some great throws. He looks ready in my opinion, and better than Henne. I think they should just throw him in.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with this, but not if you aren't putting your best player on the field. I thought he was the future, so why not play him if he outperforms? :no idea:

I haven't spent anytime following the Jags, so I really don't know the thinking there...but will look at them closely soon, as my skins play them week 2. Hell, if Bortles is better and they're sitting him, great new, Ha!

I get the "play your best players" mindset. The Jags arent winning a SB this season with Bortles. Or Henne. Or Peyton Manning. The way I see it, they don't see Bortles starting immediately as the best way for him to learn and improve. Regardless of his competition he isn't at point where he makes the offense substantially better.

Plus, given his "physical" style, he could get himself into spots he shouldn't. Even if its only a month of pressure free working, learning, practicing and improving. It's still a transition period from CFB asswhipper into NFL starter. And all too often I think that phase is skipped. Leaving talented young QBs that looked to have high quality starter potential, looking like bad picks and failures.

Everybody loves the backup quarterback. When he does take over it will be a decision everyone supports. Timed properly he might carry that over into the offseason. Making it to year Two without 20some picks, a lousy completion % and double digit losses like many a high pick before him. (I was big on him during the season last year. Going into the draft and thru his first two preseason games. More so after watching him tonight. But it was my Lions he was up against. So...)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bortles has looked really good. He seems very calm in the pocket and he's making some great throws. He looks ready in my opinion, and better than Henne. I think they should just throw him in.

I agree, he's looked good, so why not.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they just have it in their heads that they want to take the Aaron Rodgers approach and not the Russell Wilson approach. I don't blame them that much if they really think there's more for Blake to learn. What do they have to lose at this point by taking their time? Not gonna lose any more fans.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they just have it in their heads that they want to take the Aaron Rodgers approach and not the Russell Wilson approach. I don't blame them that much if they really think there's more for Blake to learn. What do they have to lose at this point by taking their time? Not gonna lose any more fans.

Russell Wilson is who I had in mind to counter the wait approach.

Seahawks brought in Flynn to start & Wilson out played him as a rookie. that didn't turn out to bad.

the Aaron Rodgers approach had Favre as the starter, not a henne.

Like I said before I get the idea of sitting a rookie for a time, but sometimes it is better for the rookie to learn live action instead. Aikman had a horrible record his 1st year (all he did was lose) but I think that made his learning curve quicker. Which turned out pretty well for the cowboys. So unless the team has an OL that might damage your QB, like the Texans with David Carr, I would put the rookie in if he is that much better than the vet.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson is who I had in mind to counter the wait approach.

Seahawks brought in Flynn to start & Wilson out played him as a rookie. that didn't turn out to bad.

the Aaron Rodgers approach had Favre as the starter, not a henne.

Like I said before I get the idea of sitting a rookie for a time, but sometimes it is better for the rookie to learn live action instead. Aikman had a horrible record his 1st year (all he did was lose) but I think that made his learning curve quicker. Which turned out pretty well for the cowboys. So unless the team has an OL that might damage your QB, like the Texans with David Carr, I would put the rookie in if he is that much better than the vet.
I don't disagree with you, especially agreeing with your opinion of using the Oline to judge whether or not to subject your rookie QB to their play. I just tend to give the actual NFL coaches the benefit of the doubt over anyone here, including myself, when it comes to final decisions.

Like I said, it's not like they have a lot to lose. If they play Bortles and he sucks, they suck til they don't, which is "whoknowswhen," but they may burn out a young QB using him before he's ready.. If they wait and play Henne, letting Bortles learn more on the sidelines, since it appears they think he can, they may suck now, but they have something brewing in the wings to help in the near future.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the "play your best players" mindset. The Jags arent winning a SB this season with Bortles. Or Henne. Or Peyton Manning. The way I see it, they don't see Bortles starting immediately as the best way for him to learn and improve. Regardless of his competition he isn't at point where he makes the offense substantially better.

Plus, given his "physical" style, he could get himself into spots he shouldn't. Even if its only a month of pressure free working, learning, practicing and improving. It's still a transition period from CFB asswhipper into NFL starter. And all too often I think that phase is skipped. Leaving talented young QBs that looked to have high quality starter potential, looking like bad picks and failures.

Everybody loves the backup quarterback. When he does take over it will be a decision everyone supports. Timed properly he might carry that over into the offseason. Making it to year Two without 20some picks, a lousy completion % and double digit losses like many a high pick before him. (I was big on him during the season last year. Going into the draft and thru his first two preseason games. More so after watching him tonight. But it was my Lions he was up against. So...)

:10:

Kind of the same thing in Cleveland.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This can be a valid approach, yes.

But I truly think the days of taking the long view of ones QB, has gone the way of the dodo bird. The goal is to win now, with your best players on the field, now.

If a rookie outperforms at the position and your Oline is ok, and ya have a decent running game, seems like the smartest decision is to give him 'live action'

As I previously mentioned, I'm not really in the know as to all these factors, but it's just a different take and my opinion only.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Bortles was the most ready to be an NFL QB right from the start. I would agree that any rookie would be better off learning the system in the first year but he is the better QB for the Jags...on any day. Cue the Jags yearly rebuilding mode and never having a winning team.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that the part you missed was the Jags naming Henne the starter when they drafted Bortles and there being no QB cometition in Jacksonville.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that the part you missed was the Jags naming Henne the starter when they drafted Bortles and there being no QB cometition in Jacksonville.
True...hence the annual rebuilding mode tactic and never wanting to win games.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...hence the annual rebuilding mode tactic and never wanting to win games.

Yea seems like the 9ers drafted a QB and sat him on the bench to start his career. Also I don't think anyone's really paying attention that Bortles is beating second teams while Henne is playing against first teams.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting for a QB to learn from the bench is getting a bit risky. You want to know if he's a keeper by the time his rookie contract runs out. The less time as a starter, the harder it is to call. Besides if he's out playing the vet, why not make him a starter? You learn much quicker by doing then watching IMO.