• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Waiver wire pickups

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any interest in any of the roster cutdown players? Some potential pickups:

Mike Sam - actually looked pretty good as a situational pass rusher, and those are useful in the NFL
Champ Bailey - probably only a nickel corner or backup safety at this point in his career. If brought in, he's there more to teach the young guys how to play than he is to contribute on the field.
Stephen Hill - more talent than the back end of our WR roster, but is he a head case?
Vincent Brown (Greg Little) - again, talent and a flash of success at WR. Little can't catch.
Ryan Williams/Evan Royster (Daniel Thomas/Law Firm) - both potentially good RBs, but we have needs elsewhere. Thomas/BJGE plodders who I wouldn't want if we had a need at the position
Leon McFadden - was a third-rounder last year at CB. Might be worth a kick of the tires.
Dule Ihenacho - good run-stopping safety, but poor in coverage. Still, started all last year on a pretty good team and might be a backup or situational upgrade.
Larry English - I think we can all agree that the guy is so far a bust, but he had first-round ability.
Terelle Pryor - might upgrade the QB3 position and give them a Wildcat option for a few plays a game.

Of this gang, I'd seriously consider bringing in Sam and Brown if he passes a physical, and maaaaybe Bailey.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Sam - POS human being and shit football player. No time for that kind of drama in the D.
Champ Bailey - Agree w you. We need CB's
Stephen Hill - I like him too, Rex Ryan is WR killer. Put Hill w Calvin in a mentor role this year.
Vincent Brown (Greg Little) - time is up on both.
Ryan Williams/Evan Royster (Daniel Thomas/Law Firm) - We just cut Leshoure, a guy basically the same as these ones.
Leon McFadden - I like the idea of looking at any CB's right now.
Dule Ihenacho - see above, same for safeties.
Larry English - too small for this D imo.
Terelle Pryor - Pass.

Of this gang, I'd seriously consider bringing the corners and Hill, at least for looks.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot Dmitri Patterson of the Jets. Him I want signed.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Kyle Wilson was on a short leash w Rex Ryan too. That's a guy a lot of Lions fans liked coming out of college.

97.1 said Mayhew is trying to trade for a CB. I never heard the follow up on the story though.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I forgot Dmitri Patterson of the Jets. Him I want signed. "

Because we need another CB with the nickname "toast" now that Houston is gone.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of this gang, I'd seriously consider bringing the corners and Hill, at least for looks.

Hands of stone. He sucks. It aint happening. Move on.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any interest in any of the roster cutdown players?
Of this gang, I'd seriously consider bringing in Sam and Brown if he passes a physical, and maaaaybe Bailey.

Only Bailey and Mcfadden. The rest either are not needed or just have no talent.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands of stone. He sucks. It aint happening. Move on.

But is he coach-able? The Jets never have good receivers. They don't know how to coach them. Hill's size and speed and age combo is worth the time. Get him around Calvin and see if he can absorb anything from the king.

We have huge TE's, but after Calvin, our WR's are all small. Another big body in there (black guy not another big white dude) is intriguing.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is he coach-able? The Jets never have good receivers. They don't know how to coach them. Hill's size and speed and age combo is worth the time. Get him around Calvin and see if he can absorb anything from the king.

We have huge TE's, but after Calvin, our WR's are all small. Another big body in there (black guy not another big white dude) is intriguing.

You sound like TPaul. Just because he is big and fast is not enough. You cant teach hand / eye coordination either. If it was just a technique issue or concentration issue then maybe, but I have seen enough of him that he just does not have the talent.

I will take a small guy with good hands over that any day.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like TPaul. Just because he is big and fast is not enough. You cant teach hand / eye coordination either. If it was just a technique issue or concentration issue then maybe, but I have seen enough of him that he just does not have the talent.

Obviously you give way more credit to the Jets O coaches than most fans.

If he was cut by the Pats or really any number of teams, I'd say pass. But it's the Jets. Look at Sanchez. Dude already looks like a new QB out there. Look at Santonio Holmes in Chicago. Jets cut him, now he's looking good for the Bears. Rex doesn't now offense at all.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And on Patterson, any guy slated to start in the NFL at CB only to be cut because he pissed the coaches off is a concern, but our two starters are both very low-level AND uncertain. One grandfather and another guy for whom we have high hopes, but who could be a total bust as a #2CB. A third starting-level CB is desperately needed and I'll take my chances on a headcase - sign him and Bailey and you get a coach to hopefully help him get his head on straight. Anyone who won't listen to a top-10 all-time CB we can cut with no regrets.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill has sucked in New York but I have to give him only partial responsibility as look at who his QBs have been as well as the most vanilla offense in the NFL.

I would take a look at Stephen Morris as a developmental QB. Pat Angerer as LB depth. And I think Champ Bailey as a nickel could be a great on field coach for Slay.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any interest in any of the roster cutdown players? Some potential pickups:

Mike Sam - actually looked pretty good as a situational pass rusher, and those are useful in the NFL
Champ Bailey - probably only a nickel corner or backup safety at this point in his career. If brought in, he's there more to teach the young guys how to play than he is to contribute on the field.
Stephen Hill - more talent than the back end of our WR roster, but is he a head case?
Vincent Brown (Greg Little) - again, talent and a flash of success at WR. Little can't catch.
Ryan Williams/Evan Royster (Daniel Thomas/Law Firm) - both potentially good RBs, but we have needs elsewhere. Thomas/BJGE plodders who I wouldn't want if we had a need at the position
Leon McFadden - was a third-rounder last year at CB. Might be worth a kick of the tires.
Dule Ihenacho - good run-stopping safety, but poor in coverage. Still, started all last year on a pretty good team and might be a backup or situational upgrade.
Larry English - I think we can all agree that the guy is so far a bust, but he had first-round ability.
Terelle Pryor - might upgrade the QB3 position and give them a Wildcat option for a few plays a game.

If he'd be will to give it a shot, I think Pryor would make a decent WR. He has great size and speed and could become a good possession receiver.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hill will end up with the Browns. They are desperate for receivers.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey now- I say, I say I resemble that remark!

Anywho I'd normally be pretty interested in Hill due to his size/speed/athleticism combo, but our WRs really stepped up this camp/preseason and I'd rather bank on them continuing to grow in the system.

This is the most balanced group of WRs I can recall in some time for us. We have a nice blend of size and speed, burners, possession guys, and explosive guys. Megatron is obviously huge, Fuller offers 'plus' height, and Ogletree and Ross are both 6'0" or taller. Broyles and Tate are on the smaller side, but both are capable of operating out of the slot or outside (same with Ogletree and CJ).

Overall we have a well-rounded group. Now if we can get Hill onto the practice squad if somebody doesn't grab him (which seems pretty doubtful) I'd be all about that...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he'd be will to give it a shot, I think Pryor would make a decent WR. He has great size and speed and could become a good possession receiver.

I agree. I don't think he's interested in making the switch, but with that kind of size and speed he could be a weapon as a WR if he's capable of learning to properly run his routes. Body control is an issue for bigger receivers, but Pryor is extremely athletic, so it would be interesting to see how he'd do in that department.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With any of these my question is, drop who?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With any of these my question is, drop who?

Van Noy to short-term IR on Tuesday is my understanding.

Next up my guess would be Travis Lewis.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van noy is short term. We'd still be looking at cutting someone. Van noy just delays it.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd keep Lewis over Hill, pryor, Sam etc. Maybe drop Lewis for angerer