• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wait, or buy now?

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would highly suggest a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6in barrel. It comes and can handle .357 or 38 special

That too is pricey. Ruger makes a knock off on it and the model escapes me but it is more reasonable on the price scale. Do you have a range in mind for how much you want to spend? Do you care if it is a Auto or Revolver?

Smiths are higher priced than the Rugers, generally 600 bucks more, plenty of friends of mine have been using Rugers for years without issue. The Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 - .38 special (6.5 inch barrel) is a pretty reasonable choice. Around $750.

.38 special for target shooting, Move up to the .357 for defense or deer hunting, for a challenge.

Been researsh around for a couple of months now trying to decide what I want (and waiting for my bonus check), planning on heading out next weekend to purchase. I'm going with a larger frame, Ruger Hunter in .44 magnum, both for deer hunting and the greater concern, where I've been deer hunting is bear and (yes) cougars.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smiths are higher priced than the Rugers, generally 600 bucks more, plenty of friends of mine have been using Rugers for years without issue. The Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 - .38 special (6.5 inch barrel) is a pretty reasonable choice. Around $750.

.38 special for target shooting, Move up to the .357 for defense or deer hunting, for a challenge.

Been researsh around for a couple of months now trying to decide what I want (and waiting for my bonus check), planning on heading out next weekend to purchase. I'm going with a larger frame, Ruger Hunter in .44 magnum, both for deer hunting and the greater concern, where I've been deer hunting is bear and (yes) cougars.

Interesting. I paid 700.00 for my brand new 686 about 6 months ago. OP asked for suggestions and I gave mine.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I paid 700.00 for my brand new 686 about 6 months ago. OP asked for suggestions and I gave mine.

Wow I just went back and looked, strange what the fuck was I looking at...about $200 more,

Then I seen where the prices really change-up, for the hunting type .44 (7 inch barrels), Smith were running $1,300-1400, where Rugers were $750 to 800.

I wasn't debating what you were saying just stating that .357-.38 is good and he could get more out of it, with the hunting part. Didn't mean to come out saying you were wrong.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let me rephrase that. I don't need an assault rifle, and didn't want one... until the government talked about wanting to ban them. Now I want one, lol... as soon as the government tells me I can't have something, that's what I start to want one.

So what would your reaction to a gay marriage ban?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To OP: have you ever bought a firearm off the internet? I've gone through gunbroker, and you can often beat local prices (though i've bought more locally).

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Yes. I bought my stainless S&W 9mm online at a very good price from Impact Guns dot com. If you want something that is has ridiculous demand right now, they have a thingy to put your name on a list for when that weapon comes into inventory.

I put myself on the list for one of these: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9MM SW59 Grip - Impact Guns It's 300 bucks but they're for sale, used, for 3 times that amount everywhere. Ridiculous. So, if I have to wait 2 years I don't care. Hopefully that bill will die in the House and I'll get an email this summer saying I can have one for the appropriate price.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To OP: have you ever bought a firearm off the internet? I've gone through gunbroker, and you can often beat local prices (though i've bought more locally).

^ Yes. I bought my stainless S&W 9mm online at a very good price from Impact Guns dot com. If you want something that is has ridiculous demand right now, they have a thingy to put your name on a list for when that weapon comes into inventory.

I put myself on the list for one of these: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9MM SW59 Grip - Impact Guns It's 300 bucks but they're for sale, used, for 3 times that amount everywhere. Ridiculous. So, if I have to wait 2 years I don't care. Hopefully that bill will die in the House and I'll get an email this summer saying I can have one for the appropriate price.

Thanks for the tips guys.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I so wish I could by stuff on line. Well I can but I cannot have it shipped to the great state of MA. No ammo company or gun dealer will ship to MA due to the immense amount of gun laws and bans.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

believe it or not....i took my mom in to get her new M&P a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy picking up his sub 200 9mm glock mag right next to us

said he paid over 1200 for it on gun broker.....for a $400 gun

if you can't find one..you can always get one of these Kel Tec CNC

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I so wish I could by stuff on line. Well I can but I cannot have it shipped to the great state of MA. No ammo company or gun dealer will ship to MA due to the immense amount of gun laws and bans.

move here....problem solved

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
believe it or not....i took my mom in to get her new M&P a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy picking up his sub 200 9mm glock mag right next to us

said he paid over 1200 for it on gun broker.....for a $400 gun

if you can't find one..you can always get one of these Kel Tec CNC

Yeah...fuck that. I only wanted the thing because it would go with my S&W 9mm, it folds down for car stowage and it's so inexpensive. But you can buy some nice stuff for $1,200!

That 5.56 is a much nicer weapon...like the fold down furniture. But hell, that's not much different than my trusty old 30.06...with which I can hit a pail at 100 yards without a scope.

This one folds-up too:
b_30a2df50990f1327831944d5d11372c5CIMG2501.jpg

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really like the outside the box stuff kel-tec has been coming up with

it would just be nice if they were to step up production

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, a lot of the ads I've seen on there say they will sell/ship anywhere but MA.

For anybody who hasn't done it, and sees this, you have to set up an account at one of the auction places, and you buy the gun like on ebay. It has to be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) (you can find a list on the auction sites, usually - one I used is a pawn shop on the other side of town). They'll charge some kind of fee and run the background check when you go to pick up the weapon.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like I'm going to wait. Every store in town is sold out of .22 long rifle ammo. Pretty much the only rounds you can get right now are 12 and 20 gauge shells, and .22 mag, which I might get for myself, but I'm not getting for my kid's first gun.