• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wait, or buy now?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was planning on buying a few guns this year, as long as six months or a year ago. I did not predict the mass run on weapons and ammo that we are seeing, and I guess I'm wondering; do you think this will die off? Or get worse?

I guess it will depend on what congress and the Pres do in terms of gun control, but I can't imagine prices will keep going up for too long. All I wanted was a small .22 for my son and maybe a 9MM for myself, but I'm not hell bent on it. I like the idea that in a few months the panic will wear off and I might even be able to get some good deals on lightly used guns that people bought in a panic and now realize they need to sell. How long do you guys see this lasting? Will prices keep going up and up?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the prices will come down after the new assault weapons bill fails to get passed.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want an assault rifle, I just want a pistol and a small rifle for my kid, but I've been looking and it seems handgun prices have gone through the roof around here, and .22s are even flying off the shelves.

Maybe some of these maniacs will accidentally shoot themselves and I can pick their stuff up cheap in an estate sale.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was planning on buying a few guns this year, as long as six months or a year ago. I did not predict the mass run on weapons and ammo that we are seeing, and I guess I'm wondering; do you think this will die off? Or get worse?

I guess it will depend on what congress and the Pres do in terms of gun control, but I can't imagine prices will keep going up for too long. All I wanted was a small .22 for my son and maybe a 9MM for myself, but I'm not hell bent on it. I like the idea that in a few months the panic will wear off and I might even be able to get some good deals on lightly used guns that people bought in a panic and now realize they need to sell. How long do you guys see this lasting? Will prices keep going up and up?

Good for you. Shooting has brought many very enjoyable days with my family. They all enjoy doing it and it is great fun.

I think the prices will come down after the new assault weapons bill fails to get passed.

:agree:

Once the debates are done the prices and the availability will come back to normal. You probably would not find a difficult time finding a 22 pistol right now though as it is really not the preferred choice for protection. Plus low recoil and inexpensive ammo make for a fairly cheap day at the range.

As far as the gun for you if I may ask why are you stuck on a 9mm?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you. Shooting has brought many very enjoyable days with my family. hey all enjoy doing it and it is great fun.

:agree:

Once the debates are done the prices and the availability will come back to normal. You probably would not find a difficult time finding a 22 pistol right now though as it is really not the preferred choice for protection. Plus low recoil and inexpensive ammo make for a fairly cheap day at the range.

As far as the gun for you if I may ask why are you stuck on a 9mm?

I'm actually looking for a .22 rifle, my kid is not ready for a handgun yet.

I'm not necessarily "stuck" on a 9MM, but I want something with good stopping power, that isn't a cannon, with cheaper ammo. So far looking around 9MM ammo seems to be the easiest to find and cheapest.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want an assault rifle, I just want a pistol and a small rifle for my kid, but I've been looking and it seems handgun prices have gone through the roof around here, and .22s are even flying off the shelves.

Maybe some of these maniacs will accidentally shoot themselves and I can pick their stuff up cheap in an estate sale.

Opps my bad you want a rifle for the 22

I would suggest this for sure. I have one and its a great gun plus you can modify it and put all kinds of stuff on it if you choose.

Ruger® 10/22® Autoloading Rifles

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opps my bad you want a rifle for the 22

I would suggest this for sure. I have one and its a great gun plus you can modify it and put all kinds of stuff on it if you choose.

Ruger® 10/22® Autoloading Rifles

Hmmm... those look fun, I might actually have to pick one up for myself. As far as my stepson goes, I'm going to have to take him shopping with me, and be very careful about what I get him. I love the kid, but he's very clumsy, weak, uncoordinated, etc. I've taken him out a few times and let him shoot a buddy's .22, and it's even a little big for him. I have no doubt with a little practice he will be fine, but for right now size and weight are going to be very important.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood. I thought you was talking more about overall target shooting versus something for personal protection.

9mm is great. I carry one and shoot it fairly often. Lots of great choices on the market for that type gun. I carry a Glock and love it but it also really does not have a safety so as mentioned in other threads it probably would not be advisable for a 1st weapon.

I have always liked M&P but would suggest getting a trigger job done if you plan to target shoot with it as well. Sig/Sauer are awesome too but very pricey

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood. I thought you was talking more about overall target shooting versus something for personal protection.

9mm is great. I carry one and shoot it fairly often. Lots of great choices on the market for that type gun. I carry a Glock and love it but it also really does not have a safety so as mentioned in other threads it probably would not be advisable for a 1st weapon.

I have always liked M&P but would suggest getting a trigger job done if you plan to target shoot with it as well. Sig/Sauer are awesome too but very pricey

What would you recommend for a handgun if I were to use it strictly for target? To be honest, if someone was breaking into my home, I would probably reach for my 870 first.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would highly suggest a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6in barrel. It comes and can handle .357 or 38 special

That too is pricey. Ruger makes a knock off on it and the model escapes me but it is more reasonable on the price scale. Do you have a range in mind for how much you want to spend? Do you care if it is a Auto or Revolver?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would highly suggest a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6in barrel. It comes and can handle .357 or 38 special

That too is pricey. Ruger makes a knock off on it and the model escapes me but it is more reasonable on the price scale. Do you have a range in mind for how much you want to spend? Do you care if it is a Auto or Revolver?

Quality to me is more important than cost. I'm never going to be the guy that buys something just because it's expensive, but I'd rather have something built well that feels right, if I'm going to be shooting it for 30 years then a few extra hundred is worth it to me.

I don't really have that much of a preference as far as auto v revolver.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in the pictures thread post 26 is my 686 and 29 is my Glock 19.

I am a much bigger fan of revolvers for target shooting and as I said above the 686 in 38 special is super accurate. It also can hold 357 so in a pinch you could use it for home protection as well.

38 special is gonna be more expensive to shoot too. Normal prices for 9mm is around 15-16 bucks for 50. 38 special goes for more like 20ish.

The trade off in my mind is 9mm is used in Autos which you will load the mag to say 10. You will fire those 10 off fairly quick. The revolver only holds 6. You will be a lot slower shooting them. The 686 also has a model that holds 7. I think it is called the 686P

Last edited by a moderator:

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want an assault rifle, .

I never did a long time ago but after firing a buddies I had to have one. Now I have a few.

It is a disease. Once you get into shooting you get broke in a hurry cause it is so much fun

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never did a long time ago but after firing a buddies I had to have one. Now I have a few.

It is a disease. Once you get into shooting you get broke in a hurry cause it is so much fun

Well, let me rephrase that. I don't need an assault rifle, and didn't want one... until the government talked about wanting to ban them. Now I want one, lol... as soon as the government tells me I can't have something, that's what I start to want one.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the AWB has a chance to pass. Right now because of all threats to the 2nd amendment all assault weapons are going for 2 and 1/2 times more than they will be worth when the AWB fails. You can buy a "cheaper" AR right now for $1,800 or you can wait and buy a better named brand AR for $1,800 later.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the AWB has a chance to pass. Right now because of all threats to the 2nd amendment all assault weapons are going for 2 and 1/2 times more than they will be worth when the AWB fails. You can buy a "cheaper" AR right now for $1,800 or you can wait and buy a better named brand AR for $1,800 later.

Exactly

I saw a Bushmaster Sport used going for 1900.00 and someone bought it.

Brand new that gun is 800.00

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe how much the prices of regular pistols have gone up over here. I really hope the market gets flooded and then people realize they need to pay off their credit cards and I can scoop up a nice cheap pistol in a few months.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't normally shill for big corporations, but you should check with your local big box store like Cabellas or Sportsman's Wharehouse or whatever equivalent you have around you. The local Sportsman's Wharehouse here has kept their prices what they always were.......granted they don't have much to pick from as their stock sales out pretty immediately, but for at least the .22 rifle, your outlet like that should have plenty of those and shouldn't be price inflated......if you can find a handgun you like in stock, it should be normal priced as well, but that likely will be harder to locate.......

.....and then once you find one, good luck finding ammo to go shoot with....:(

I got a new Ruger SR40C 4 or 5 weeks ago and haven't got to shoot it yet.....I do have a couple hundred rounds on order via an internet business, but they aren't shipping until early March.....I want to place another order since it takes so long, but since this is my first order with this company I want to make sure I get my first order.....lol