• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech Basketball Week 8: Dec. 24 - Dec. 30, @Brigham Young

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll be lucky to locate the general direction of the track much less get on it

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll be lucky to locate the general direction of the track much less get on it

Yeah, its looking more and more like we just played out of minds to beat Oklahoma State and blow out Iowa. Having Brown brick every jump shot he takes now doesn't help.

I do think we need to feed Raines in the post more especially if Brown is off. I don't think he had one post up against Colorado State.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see any in the first half. Heck, I'm not sure we even ran plays. Two simple things I'd like to see more of is Raines hustling down court in transition for a quick post up and a pick & roll with Joey with a possible lob. Take advantage of his height. Either lob it to him off the roll (or an off ball screen play for him would do the same) or pass it where he can catch it high, hold it, and lay it in.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am also suprised we haven't played much zone if we want to save our post players from foul trouble and being tired. Instead, we keep doubling the low post and leaving shooters wide open.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always seem like players get confused on NBA floors and play the NBA line instead of the college on

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really shouldn't surprise anyone.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think we get back on track until we get a coach who knows the fundamentals of basketball. This is ridiculous.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to run a fast paced offense when you can't make a stop. BYU was making shots but it was definetly a poor defensive gameplan that killed us two games in a row.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think we get back on track until we get a coach who knows the fundamentals of basketball. This is ridiculous.

Yeah. I set no expectations for this season other than signs of improvement. Haven't seen that over the last month. I think we're getting worse. And you're right, it looks like they're poorly coached. There's some serious fundamental lapses on both sides of the ball.

Also, pull Rankin's scholarship next year. It amazes me how he can play so many minutes yet make virtually no positive impact on the game. You'd think he could accidentally walk under a loose ball for a rebound or pick up a random assist. Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that was a good assessment.

I'm curious what exactly these guys are doing in practice. Obviously not working on a lot of defense. It is an embarrassment to see guys like Rankin out there doing NOTHING (as mentioned above) and then a walk on like Beyer comes in and actually contributes. Amazing! And our bigs are either playing non-existent defense or committing a stupid or lazy foul. Ugh.

What happened to the team that beat OKSt and lost to WVU at the last second?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all his faults, Greenberg at least taught good defense. I find it hard to believe this team has forgotten all he taught them. There's no excuse to be as fundamentally bad at it as they have shown over the last month

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all his faults, Greenberg at least taught good defense. I find it hard to believe this team has forgotten all he taught them. There's no excuse to be as fundamentally bad at it as they have shown over the last month
Its not even like last year when we got beat off the dribble. We keep getting owned on bad rotation and poor pick and roll defense.

Its unlikely we turn it around against Maryland next week. They are a pretty good team and have dominate big man in 7'1" Alex Len. The good news is they are not a good three point shooting team but we've gotten pretty bad 3 point shooting teams to shoot the 3 ball pretty well with poor rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not even like last year when we got beat off the dribble. We keep getting owned on bad rotation and poor pick and roll defense.

Its unlikely we turn it around against Maryland next week. They are a pretty good team and have dominate big man in 7'1" Alex Len. The good news is they are not a good three point shooting team but we've gotten pretty bad 3 point shooting teams to shoot the 3 ball pretty well with poor rotation.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Either they aren't talking to each other on defense calling out switches or they just have no clue where they should even be on the court to call out for help. And you've called them out every game for doubling the post and rightfully so. Because I thought about it some and there's just about 0 reason why you should double in the post nowadays. Teams generally double a guy in the post if he's a dominant player (think centers of the 90s like Shaq and Hakeem). There's hardly anyone out there in the college game that warrants that kind of attention. I'd wager to say nearly 80% of teams today are built to shoot 3s on kick outs, not kill you in the paint with a big man. Doubling the post players shouldn't even be in the gameplan

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as people didn't like Davilla, he was pretty a good post defender. Not sure we really have anyone as good as Davilla at defending the post, but Raines and JVZ do seem to be better at help D.