• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2012 Recruiting Target List

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're always on top of thing 46. Thanks for the break down.

Is it common for us to have so many offers out of state at this point?

No, very uncommon for us. Hell we're recruiting the state of Texas, that is completely new.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the Tucker article the poop posted:
“He likes the tradition of the Virginia Tech corners,” Williams said. “He’s been watching it since he was a young one, from Macho Harris on. Coach Gray is a big part of it. He’s played the position. Donaldven has actually seen Coach Gray in action, coaching, and that style of coaching really attracted him.”

What!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, very uncommon for us. Hell we're recruiting the state of Texas, that is completely new.

I think that Hunzworth was spot on on this when he posted this above:

Glad to see things get rolling for '12. Like you said if he's good enough for gray he's good enough for me. What i really love though is the fact he's OOS. I dont know what it is but a VT offer just isnt "sexy" enough for VA kids anymore. Just an idea but maybe offering fewer in state guys(<-- to a point) and more OOS guys, makes that VT offer more appealing to the top tier VA kids. Just like ohio st, penn st, fla st, etc seem "sexy" to VA kids, i think VT could/should appeal to penn, nj, fla, ga, etc kids.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 3 names that vtinsider.com is reporting as having offers (some of you can confirm or deny these, I don't have a membership--just looking on the prospect page)

Vadal Alexander OT, Georgia
Dalvin Tomlinson DT, Georgia
Isaac Hayes OG, Minnesota

I'm very excited to see this years class getting started off like it has. Many of the guys on this list seem to be BIG time prospects. Although I would like to see us do well in the state of VA, I am excited and interested to see how we do out of state. Looks like we are hitting Georgia and Florida very hard (possibly looking to pounce while the Dawgs are down and Richt may be on his way out if they have another mediocre year). VT has dome a great job of getting some under the radar guys from FL but if they could start getting a few of the top 50 players in Florida every year, then they will have some GREAT players. Glad to see we offered another 4 star RB (Brown), would like to see us get on another 1 or 2 of those offers soon. I think it is crucial to get some of the high profile O Line (Humphries/Stadnik/etc.) and D Line (Goldman)guys this year. Gray and Co. needs to be in their ear for the next year. VT will always get its fair share of skill guys, LB, and DB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree. I think that, along with depth, our biggest need to get to the next level is big smelly fat guys That smell like ketchup and have a bad attitude. The nosals and laniers of the world are great stories, but you can't coach 330lbs.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Tucker article the poop posted:
“He likes the tradition of the Virginia Tech corners,” Williams said. “He’s been watching it since he was a young one, from Macho Harris on. Coach Gray is a big part of it. He’s played the position. Donaldven has actually seen Coach Gray in action, coaching, and that style of coaching really attracted him.”

What!

now i feel old!

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that Hunzworth was spot on on this when he posted this above:

Glad to see things get rolling for '12. Like you said if he's good enough for gray he's good enough for me. What i really love though is the fact he's OOS. I dont know what it is but a VT offer just isnt "sexy" enough for VA kids anymore. Just an idea but maybe offering fewer in state guys(<-- to a point) and more OOS guys, makes that VT offer more appealing to the top tier VA kids. Just like ohio st, penn st, fla st, etc seem "sexy" to VA kids, i think VT could/should appeal to penn, nj, fla, ga, etc kids.

That makes sense, but I figured that the staff was so entrenched in the idea that they can win with VA players that it would be hard to break away from.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Not 46 but imo we are going in a little different direction with recruiting, hopefully the staff realized that not only can we recruit a much larger "footprint" than we have been and that a lot of VA kids are looking to go OOS.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it seems as though a Virginia Tech offer means a little bit more out If state than in it. This seems especially true for players at positions That we do well with (defensive backs, defensive linemen). It may have something to do with the negative press that VT recieves in state and closer to home. In the VT market,fans and the press harp on not beating top 5 programs and losing the big game, nut from afar what beamer and company have done and the level of consistency he has created is pretty fantastic. Imagine being a Texas a&m or Washington fan the next time you are feeling down about the Hokies. If you think we felt bad after the bowl game, imagine the feelings of a Miami or Clemson fan.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now it seems as though a Virginia Tech offer means a little bit more out If state than in it. This seems especially true for players at positions That we do well with (defensive backs, defensive linemen). It may have something to do with the negative press that VT recieves in state and closer to home. In the VT market,fans and the press harp on not beating top 5 programs and losing the big game, nut from afar what beamer and company have done and the level of consistency he has created is pretty fantastic. Imagine being a Texas a&m or Washington fan the next time you are feeling down about the Hokies. If you think we felt bad after the bowl game, imagine the feelings of a Miami or Clemson fan.

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - VirginiaPreps Class of 2012 Top 25 Football Prospects

I'm sure many of you have already seen this, a top 25 VA list for 2012. Most of the top 15 already have offers, wouldn't expect many more offers this early to the rest. Not many notable O-Line, DT prospects in VA that haven't been offered. We should hopefully have a good shot at Kirven (from same HS as LT and McCRay). I now see why we are going after the elite Olinemen early. Good moves.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for that list Sparks. One thing I like is that there are several linebackers in there. Any word on which ones our staff likes andwhich ones are early leans for us? I know I've heard Van Dyke's brother is supposed to be a good one.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Coleman can automatically be crossed out since he's from Oscar Smith. WTF?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Coleman can automatically be crossed out since he's from Oscar Smith. WTF?

I wouldn't say that just yet poop. Read an article that said two of the VT coaches (didn't say exactly whom) went to Chesapeake and met with Coleman and his coach and hand delivered the offer. Maybe whatever hatchet that exists there can be buried. Plus with the lack of depth at RB and the possibility of him playing early, he has to take a serious look at VT. As far as the linebackers not really sure who would be consdiered a lean or not. I am sure DVD is a very good possibility to be a Hokie. Eli Harold (who contrary to the site, I believe is more of a DE/LB prospect) has already moved Florida to the top of the list, will be tough to beat them. Think we should try to make a strong push for a couple of the other ones (Ekanem, Moore)

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pretty sure the Oscar Smith stuff has been buried. The kids we haven't landed just were never into VT that much. Coleman, though, fits into our system and will give VT a look I believe.

Harold is giving Tennessee a strong look.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another 3 names that vtinsider.com is reporting as having offers (some of you can confirm or deny these, I don't have a membership--just looking on the prospect page)

Vadal Alexander OT, Georgia
Dalvin Tomlinson DT, Georgia
Isaac Hayes OG, Minnesota

I'm very excited to see this years class getting started off like it has. Many of the guys on this list seem to be BIG time prospects. Although I would like to see us do well in the state of VA, I am excited and interested to see how we do out of state. Looks like we are hitting Georgia and Florida very hard (possibly looking to pounce while the Dawgs are down and Richt may be on his way out if they have another mediocre year). VT has dome a great job of getting some under the radar guys from FL but if they could start getting a few of the top 50 players in Florida every year, then they will have some GREAT players. Glad to see we offered another 4 star RB (Brown), would like to see us get on another 1 or 2 of those offers soon. I think it is crucial to get some of the high profile O Line (Humphries/Stadnik/etc.) and D Line (Goldman)guys this year. Gray and Co. needs to be in their ear for the next year. VT will always get its fair share of skill guys, LB, and DB.

I will add those names on Monday when I get to office. Too hard from phone. Thanks!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I assume that J. Hess will have to camp to get an offer, but from what i hear if he gets it he will most likely be a Hokie. :-)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume that J. Hess will have to camp to get an offer, but from what i hear if he gets it he will most likely be a Hokie. :-)

I would think so too Hunzworth, being from right down 460. Check out the frame, 6'7" and 285. If he can work-out and improve his feet/speed he has some major potential. This is definetely the kindof size that VT needs on the OL. Big cornfed country boys. Just like 46 said, you can't coach 6'6'+300 lbs. I am surprised Devon Johnson from Richlands committed so quickly to The Herd, I believe he is from Big Creek, WV -- so maybe it is his dream school? Things are always subject to change. Win Homer may be a tough get. I think Christchurch is in the Charlottesville area. Need to go hard for the Stadnik twins and Humphries in NC and these other linemen OOS.

Last edited by a moderator: