• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Video Compilation: All Head to Head Hits on Cam Newton from Panthers@Broncos on September 8, 2016

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major penalty vs a minor transgression.

You don't see guys being benched for intentional grounding.

But you do for a head shot like that if they are concussed.

It seems odd they would offset those two types of penalties, I know they do but it still is odd to me. It would seem proper to enforce the more flagrant foul.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any Head hits not called will have a Compilation.

Or is it only for Cam Newton?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major penalty vs a minor transgression.

You don't see guys being benched for intentional grounding.

But you do for a head shot like that if they are concussed.

It seems odd they would offset those two types of penalties, I know they do but it still is odd to me. It would seem proper to enforce the more flagrant foul.
But intentional grounding is not a minor transgression. It's one of the few penalties that result in the loss of down for the offense, and in that situation it would require a 10 second run off on the clock, and the clock to start again at ready to play, not at the snap. That's a pretty harsh penalty, it can't just be ignored.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But intentional grounding is not a minor transgression. It's one of the few penalties that result in the loss of down for the offense, and in that situation it would require a 10 second run off on the clock, and the clock to start again at ready to play, not at the snap. That's a pretty harsh penalty, it can't just be ignored.

Compared to the head shot it's almost nothing.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any Head hits not called will have a Compilation.

Or is it only for Cam Newton?

Can Newton is superman so that should make him exempt from any compilations. Superman can't get hurt

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cry me a river... This happens to Ben all the time and never gets reported like this.

Ben who? It's a shame he doesn't draw some more flags because he isn't an arrogant ass and need some humbling. I'll cry some for you Face:suds:

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a penalty. You can't just decide to ignore it because you thought the other penalty was worse.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cam better toughen up

He has brought this on himself with his attitude

those hits were just the normal part of the game 10 years ago

He is a target get ready for a season of this

JMHO

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they call the foul if the player was a tight end or running back? If not, then they shouldn't call it here.

FTR, the rules also state that a runner can't lower their head either. I have never seen someone called for that though.

A TE or RB who had just thrown a pass ? They should in that case every single time.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a penalty. You can't just decide to ignore it because you thought the other penalty was worse.

Yet in the severity category, and the seemingly spirit of the moment to protect against hits like that, ......

Much better off to call the major and ignore the minor.

It's like letting a murderer off on a technicality..... "He flailed his arm at me so I killed him..."

And I say again, I was very happy with the wash off on the 2 penalties, only because I'm not a Carolina lover.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video compilation: all of the head to head hits on Cam Newton from Panthers@Broncos on Thursday, September 8, 2016:

The guy was absolutely done wrong, but the blame goes on the refs for not calling the fouls...
These are football players, if you let them play, they will hurt you any way they can....
"It's a man's game"...Ray Lewis

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those hits were just the normal part of the game 10 years ago

This is not 10 years ago...

Rule of emphasis put out by NFL for 2016:

Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow.

Marshall and Stewart hits both an easy call based on this emphasis.

One of my favorite players in the 70s was Mike Webster due to his ties to UW and Wisconsin... watched the movie concussion and even though I love NFL and football... really do not care to be reading about my favorite players of today in a similar light to Mike Webster in the future.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have ALL seen refs throw flags for hits on QBs that weren't as bad as these on Newton. There has to be consistency. The league constantly talks about cleaning up the game from this kind of thing and protecting the players, sure didn't happen here...

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just 3 hits to the head shown from different angles?
I was going to say, 3 hits with a whole bunch of angles making it seem like much more. Probably more than an average game, but certainly not unprecedented.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spotlight on any Cam hit has now been magnified X1000 because of this. The Panthers doctors may be forced into a diagnosis that they weren't previously pressured into before, even if it is unwarranted.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"What day of the week is it, Cam?"

"Superman!"

"You're back in!"

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, i don't believe I have EVER seen an offensive player called for using the crown of the helmet. Again, if they're SERIOUS about head injuries, then it seems they should call this one both ways.

I have seen it once... and that was about as bad or as flagrant as any single helmet to helmet I have ever seen. 'Suh stomp on the head' - type flagrant.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are they saying they want to clamp down on intentional grounding? Is it rampant and dangerous to a player's health?

Didn't think so, try again.....

They call them majors and tack on 15 for a reason.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the injury side yes. I hope the NFL still keeps the 2 strikes you are out policy even on offsetting penalties when one is a personal foul.

But you are right, they are completely different. Not sure if I've ever seen a player fined/suspended for intentional grounding.

But 15 vs. 5 yards are the only ones that don't off-set.

I could see the rules committee next year making it where personal fouls don't off-set but I am not sure of any level of football where that happens.

I also wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years we have some sort of rule where the QB can not advance the ball past the LOS.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy was absolutely done wrong, but the blame goes on the refs for not calling the fouls...
These are football players, if you let them play, they will hurt you any way they can....
"It's a man's game"...Ray Lewis

That's what I've been saying as well. It's up to the refs to enforce the rules. If they call it once early in the game, then teams will stop doing it. If they don't call it, then teams know "hey, they're letting us play today."

Denver got away with it, but the next team that plays Carolina, things will be called tighter.

I get why the league does fines after the fact, but it's kind of hypocritical. If they didn't call a penalty during the game, why hit the guy in the wallet later? Teams will just see the fines as the cost of doing business in order to win games. Brandon Marshall's teammates will probably chip in for his impending fine