• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Video Compilation: All Head to Head Hits on Cam Newton from Panthers@Broncos on September 8, 2016

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video compilation: all of the head to head hits on Cam Newton from Panthers@Broncos on Thursday, September 8, 2016:

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 and 54 should of been flagged.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need some suspensions. They were going out of the way to go high with the crown down. Show some guts instead of going out of your way to take the opponents #1 player out of the game. It was a disgusting display.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Marshall's hit again, I believe he should have been flagged for that, at least. He launched himself at Cam's head, with his head. It's pretty much the rulebook definition of a PF:

"Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

• The player must line up his opponent
  • He must lower his head
  • He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow."

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 and 54 should of been flagged.
26 was flagged, but Newton was also flagged for grounding so the penalties offset. Marshall (54) really should have been flagged, not sure how they missed that one. It was pretty terrible.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 was flagged. Miller should have been flagged as well. Marshall's hit never gets flagged.

26 was flagged, but Newton was also flagged for grounding so the penalties offset. Marshall (54) really should have been flagged, not sure how they missed that one. It was pretty terrible.

I didn't see the game. I was going by the clip the OP posted.

Going just by the clip, I don't think Miller should be flagged. 26 and 54 launched with their helmets. Fines are probably coming.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching Marshall's hit again, I believe he should have been flagged for that, at least. He launched himself at Cam's head, with his head. It's pretty much the rulebook definition of a PF:

"Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

• The player must line up his opponent
  • He must lower his head
  • He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow."

Would they call the foul if the player was a tight end or running back? If not, then they shouldn't call it here.

FTR, the rules also state that a runner can't lower their head either. I have never seen someone called for that though.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the game. I was going by the clip the OP posted.

Going just by the clip, I don't think Miller should be flagged. 26 and 54 launched with their helmets. Fines are probably coming.

Marshall is going to be fined:

NFL review: Brandon Marshall should have been flagged for hit to Newton's head

The NFL has determined officials erred in not flagging Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall for his hit to Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton’s head in Thursday’s kickoff game.

Dean Blandino, the league’s senior vice president of officiating, and his staff reviewed the play as part of their normal process and determined Marshall should’ve been flagged for delivering a blow to Newton’s head after he’d released the ball in the third quarter, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports on Friday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to comment publicly.

The play will be subject to the NFL’s normal review process for discipline, and Marshall is likely facing a fine.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would they call the foul if the player was a tight end or running back? If not, then they shouldn't call it here.

It doesn't specify, just plainly says "a runner outside the tackle box." Seems to me to mean any player with the ball. But yeah, if they're not going to call it on a TE or RB, then why call it on a QB? And what if a guy uses the crown of the helmet against a player who ISN'T carrying the ball?

You'd think there wouldn't be so much interpretation needed in a rule like this.

FTR, the rules also state that a runner can't lower their head either. I have never seen someone called for that though.

No, i don't believe I have EVER seen an offensive player called for using the crown of the helmet. Again, if they're SERIOUS about head injuries, then it seems they should call this one both ways.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Carolina should alter their playbook or else Cam won't be having as long a career as we may all think. Those read options and designed QB runs are gonna take a toll at some point

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont have a problem with Miller's hit. His crown was up, Newton is falling and Miller is being blocked(not well). Just 2 facemasks running into each other.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, i don't believe I have EVER seen an offensive player called for using the crown of the helmet. Again, if they're SERIOUS about head injuries, then it seems they should call this one both ways.

It's a tough balancing act. People want all the action and big thumping hits but they don't want the negative consequences of it. The NFL is trying to find a proper balance.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for Cam, he is going to see a lot of this. His cocky attitude combined with the amount of times he run's the ball is going to result in aggressive hits.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just 3 hits to the head shown from different angles?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just 3 hits to the head shown from different angles?
Yes. One of which was flagged, one of which was clearly unintentional, and one of which the officials missed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. One of which was flagged, one of which was clearly unintentional, and one of which the officials missed.
Cry me a river... This happens to Ben all the time and never gets reported like this.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's kind of hard to comprehend how a hit like that can be offset by an intentional grounding, but it was.

It was also hard to comprehend how much I was rooting for Denver last night... And how I didn't really mind the beating put on Newton.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of hard to comprehend how a hit like that can be offset by an intentional grounding, but it was.

It was also hard to comprehend how much I was rooting for Denver last night... And how I didn't really mind the beating put on Newton.
Why is that hard to comprehend?