• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vance Joseph Safe...For Now.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like hiring wade as our Head coach that would settle Wolf and a lot of players down.

He should be called into an Office with Elway sitting down and told you will be smiling at the end of the season and tell him if he is not happy we will trade him before/after the Draft.

But at this point IMO our young players should get time I hope they look in all the junk piles and come up with several gems with players doing this shit the season is so over.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 TEAM EFFICIENCY RATINGS | Football Outsiders

From ESPN;

Denver ranks ninth in DVOA after 10 weeks, ahead of teams like the Patriots, Panthers and Texans. They've played the second-toughest schedule in football and held fourth-quarter leads over the Chiefs and Texans.

Vance has helped this team be wildly better than last year and has kept them competitive. Like I’ve said he’s not as bad people think he is.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 TEAM EFFICIENCY RATINGS | Football Outsiders

From ESPN;

Denver ranks ninth in DVOA after 10 weeks, ahead of teams like the Patriots, Panthers and Texans. They've played the second-toughest schedule in football and held fourth-quarter leads over the Chiefs and Texans.

Vance has helped this team be wildly better than last year and has kept them competitive. Like I’ve said he’s not as bad people think he is.

I have been saying this too. If we are looking at getting another 1st time HC then what is the point? Let them make their mistakes here so they can be good somewhere else. The record at the end of the day may not be much better. To me I think the team is going in the right direction, but the question the weighs on my mind is are we going to continually be just a little short or are we going to get over the hump?

If we move on from Vance at the end of the year I understand, but I would also understand if he gets a 3rd year.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats can be manipulated to support any side of an argument.

This is a win loss league, and we are not winning. Period.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats can be manipulated to support any side of an argument.

This is a win loss league, and we are not winning. Period.

So despite showing a much better understanding of being a HC in year 2 and making our team competitive you'd rather see us turn into the Browns where we have a new HC and complete new coaching staff every 2-3 years?

Since firing Shanahan in 2008 the Broncos have had 4 coaches in 10 years. We could be worse but that doesn't exactly set a good precedent.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is something to be said for stability in leadership. I know some are hoping for John Harbaugh but do you think he would work for Elway? Do you think Elway will give up some influence/control to have a vet head coach?

LGM, I completely understand where you are coming from, but I am not convinced that we will be winning faster with a different head coach then Vance. Vance might be our quickest way to being relevant.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos are much more competitive this year than they were in 2017. There's no doubt about that and Vance Joseph gets some credit for that. They also slightly improved the QB position and had a good draft, so it's tough to give VJ too much credit.

To me it boils down to how this 1.5 year audition has gone. Does VJ have the respect of the practice rooms? Are they able to develop strong game plans each week that take advantage of opponent's weaknesses? Is he effective with in-game adjustments, managing the clock and making critical decisions under the gun? Have our issues with penalties improved? Are we better in two minute drill and in the red zone?

Unfortunately for this Broncos fan, the answer to most of those is "no". I love stability and loathe change just for change sake but I just don't feel good about a Vance Joseph led Broncos squad. As I've said before, an in season change makes zero sense to me unless fans stop showing up but I am in favor of getting a new head coach into Denver next year. Sadly.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance is way too passive and defensive-minded. It's not Elway's style to fire a coach mid-season, but I don't think it'll be long after that 16th game. There's going to be another half-dozen NFL vacancies this offseason and each team will be in a race to hire the closet thing to Sean McVay they can find.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance is way too passive and defensive-minded. It's not Elway's style to fire a coach mid-season, but I don't think it'll be long after that 16th game. There's going to be another half-dozen NFL vacancies this offseason and each team will be in a race to hire the closet thing to Sean McVay they can find.

Washington Redskins[edit]
In 2010, McVay was hired as the assistant tight ends coach for the Washington Redskins under head coach Mike Shanahan. In 2011, he was promoted to tight ends coach, a position he held through the 2013 season.

On January 14, 2014, McVay was promoted to offensive coordinator by new Redskins head coach, Jay Gruden. In his first year as offensive coordinator, he turned the team's offense into the 12th-ranked pass offense in the NFL—averaging 268.4 passing yards per game with third-year quarterback, Kirk Cousins—the 17th-ranked rush offense, with 97.9 rushing yards per game, and the 10th ranked total offense in the NFL (a year after the team's offense finished ranked 25th in total offense), averaging 24.3 points per game and 353.8 total yards per game. In 2016, the passing offense ranked third best in the NFL with 297.4 yards per game, while the rushing offense ranked 20th, averaging 106.0 rushing yards per game. The 2016 offense finished 3rd overall in total yards and 11th in points, averaging 403.4 total yards per game and 24.8 points per game.

Nothing shows greatness like a so so resume

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make a change most of us would like to see someone with Head Coaching experience, but I am not sure that an experience Head Coach will want to come into Denver with Elway have as much control as he does. Does anyone think Elway will be willing to give up some control to land an experienced Head Coach? I do not. So if we are going to look for a new Head Coach we are probably looking at another first time Head Coach which will come with another learning curve. Some guys learning curve is shorter then others and some are longer.

The only guy that might want to come here and Coach with Head Coaching experience would be Wade Phillips. Not sure how he feels after the way he was sent packing after the 2016 season.

I think a requirement the team needs to have if they are going to change the Head Coach is that they maintain the 3-4 defense.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway is looking into College Offenses for a reason. I think he want points.that and a guy that don't blink and knows how to win IMO

Chris Petersen

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Redskins[edit]
In 2010, McVay was hired as the assistant tight ends coach for the Washington Redskins under head coach Mike Shanahan. In 2011, he was promoted to tight ends coach, a position he held through the 2013 season.

On January 14, 2014, McVay was promoted to offensive coordinator by new Redskins head coach, Jay Gruden. In his first year as offensive coordinator, he turned the team's offense into the 12th-ranked pass offense in the NFL—averaging 268.4 passing yards per game with third-year quarterback, Kirk Cousins—the 17th-ranked rush offense, with 97.9 rushing yards per game, and the 10th ranked total offense in the NFL (a year after the team's offense finished ranked 25th in total offense), averaging 24.3 points per game and 353.8 total yards per game. In 2016, the passing offense ranked third best in the NFL with 297.4 yards per game, while the rushing offense ranked 20th, averaging 106.0 rushing yards per game. The 2016 offense finished 3rd overall in total yards and 11th in points, averaging 403.4 total yards per game and 24.8 points per game.

Nothing shows greatness like a so so resume

Elway gave Vance the head job after a single season as a defensive coordinator in Miami. It's more about knowledge and vision than anything else. McVay wasn't in control of the dysfunctional Redskins.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway gave Vance the head job after a single season as a defensive coordinator in Miami. It's more about knowledge and vision than anything else. McVay wasn't in control of the dysfunctional Redskins.

Right and he wanted to hire him as his Dcord after Phillips left, but the Bengals wouldn't let him get out of his contract.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how did that work for us ?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To field a team what you figure it cost Mister Bowlen to take this coach training wheels off So fare? With all the cost IMO you need W's at some point. Maybe we can play Arizona every week.

When players start turning against you, your days are numbered . 2 of them last week.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make a change most of us would like to see someone with Head Coaching experience, but I am not sure that an experience Head Coach will want to come into Denver with Elway have as much control as he does. Does anyone think Elway will be willing to give up some control to land an experienced Head Coach? I do not. So if we are going to look for a new Head Coach we are probably looking at another first time Head Coach which will come with another learning curve. Some guys learning curve is shorter then others and some are longer.

The only guy that might want to come here and Coach with Head Coaching experience would be Wade Phillips. Not sure how he feels after the way he was sent packing after the 2016 season.

I think a requirement the team needs to have if they are going to change the Head Coach is that they maintain the 3-4 defense.

Do you think Ozzie had any less influence over the draft and free agency than Elway has now? Harbaugh seemed fine having input, just like our current coaching staff has.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Ozzie had any less influence over the draft and free agency than Elway has now? Harbaugh seemed fine having input, just like our current coaching staff has.

Those two seemed to work very well together

I'd be happy with Harbaugh - there's also the one very good season Kubiak had as Raven's OC ... Chemistry within an organization is very important

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note ... would it surprise anyone to see Mike McCarthy as the next Broncos head coach?

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note ... would it surprise anyone to see Mike McCarthy as the next Broncos head coach?

"Surprise" isn't quite the right term - involuntary, explosive diarrhea is more accurate

I'll pass