• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC Should Have Taken Petersen Rather Than Sark

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just playing devils advocate

im shocked ( even with everything you mentioned) he wouldn't take a job at a top tier school. I don't think many people think of UW a top tier football school and think most people feel that way. that's not to say he cant make them a power house.

im trying to raise the question. winning at UW or shoot for the BIGGGER glory of winning at a traditional power house.

I think your question should be a "little more understanding" what "powerhouse" school would this be?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't be so foolish. we all know how nike will most likely keep Oregon a top notch team.

Are they gonna pay other teams to lay down?

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many titles do they have compared to those other schools

when all-time great coaches question is brought up how often do hear the name JAMES?

sorry imo most people don't think of UW as a legacy school.

Petersen is already viewed as an all-time great coach

As for national titles, during that same era (1977 to 2003), Florida had one (1996), UW had one (1991), USC had one (1978), Texas had none. Meyer went to FL and got them a couple more, Carroll went to USC and got them a couple more, Mack Brown went to Texas got them one, and now Petersen is going to UW...

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you really think most people see UW in the same light as those other schools

You are really missing the point. No one has suggested UW is on par with Florida, Texas, etc. Not once. And it isn't relevant at all. You can win national titles at pretty much and major school. That is, any school in one of the power conferences. If you were industrious enough you could covert Vandy (kind of happening now) or Colorado (once a great football power).

Some HC's may want an elite power school where they have it easy, but they have to deal with the added pressure and normally much higher media presence. Some would rather try and make a second tier team into a national power and have a bit better life around it.

Petersen likes this area. He has said to those close to him that UW was a job that very much interested him. And when did he say it? The first time was when they were in the dumps and barely looking into facilities upgrades. If he was high on UW then why on earth wouldn't he jump at the chance to take it now that it has a very capable group of players and brand new facilities to make recruiting even easier?

This was a total no brainer. It really was.

The question of him leaving due to NCAA coming down on BSU? What the absolute fuck is that about? What's the worst scandals they have had in recent years? I think ham sandwich gate?

He came out earlier this year, before this season, and said he was more open to looking at moving to a new challenge. That was before the 8-4 season. His last kid at home just graduated from high school and his family was important. What part of that aren't you getting?

He thought UW was a great challenge for him and it was in an area he loves. Why is that giving you issues? I just really don't get it. :noidea:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone know how this buyout stuff works... so Justin Wilcox was rumored to be going to follow sark to southern cal but held up by buyout forget the total amount right now...but read a report Washington hired Petersen's DC at boise st....so even tho they hired someone in his place does he still have to buyout contract?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone know how this buyout stuff works... so Justin Wilcox was rumored to be going to follow sark to southern cal but held up by buyout forget the total amount right now...but read a report Washington hired Petersen's DC at boise st....so even tho they hired someone in his place does he still have to buyout contract?

That's a good question. I don't know that they have necessarily hired someone in his place though. Just because it's been reported that Boise's DC is coming with Petersen I don't know that it necessarily means the Washington DC job is his over Wilcox. And Wilcox is still under contract, USC won't get him unless their willing to pay the buyout. Maybe something's in the works that we don't know about.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good question. I don't know that they have necessarily hired someone in his place though. Just because it's been reported that Boise's DC is coming with Petersen I don't know that it necessarily means the Washington DC job is his over Wilcox. And Wilcox is still under contract, USC won't get him unless their willing to pay the buyout. Maybe something's in the works that we don't know about.

Would be pretty cool if Wilcox decided to stay.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question doesn't make any sense.

USC had to pay 1.5M in a buy out to get Sark and a few more minor buy outs to take the assistants they have already taken.

Wilcox has a 1 million dollar buy out and Lupoi has a buy out as well that USC had said both were stumbling blocks.

Now Petersen had a 750k buy out as well, but what USC is paying for Sark's buy out (due in 30 days per contract) is enough to double up that Boise State buy out.

Wilcox is still under contract and Petersen coming here doesn't change that. If Petersen wants to bring his own DC and the school decides to dismiss Wilcox (very unlikely) then he doesn't have a buy out.

Most likely Wilcox will stay around UW long enough at least to look at what HC jobs might be available. There is no buy out if he goes to being a head coach, only for going to another school as a DC.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question doesn't make any sense.

USC had to pay 1.5M in a buy out to get Sark and a few more minor buy outs to take the assistants they have already taken.

Wilcox has a 1 million dollar buy out and Lupoi has a buy out as well that USC had said both were stumbling blocks.

Now Petersen had a 750k buy out as well, but what USC is paying for Sark's buy out (due in 30 days per contract) is enough to double up that Boise State buy out.

Wilcox is still under contract and Petersen coming here doesn't change that. If Petersen wants to bring his own DC and the school decides to dismiss Wilcox (very unlikely) then he doesn't have a buy out.

Most likely Wilcox will stay around UW long enough at least to look at what HC jobs might be available. There is no buy out if he goes to being a head coach, only for going to another school as a DC.

Boise State defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski to Washington per report - Mountain West Connection

so they could basically demote him from DC to d line coach or something if this reports true? I was just thinking if they replaced him then he shouldn't need a buy out. but maybe that's not the case

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen's the better x's and o's guy and Sark's the better recruiter. I'm not bashing Sark because he's pretty good at it as well but Peterson's one of the best. I know other UW fans think this is an upgrade but I see it as a step sideways. Hopefully Petersen can get more NW talent into the program but he isn't slick enough to go down to LA and sell the glam of USC. Sark's perfect for that. The day Kiffin got fired it was a no-brainer that Sark was the next coach. He's perfect for it.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could he be jumping a sinking ship at Boise st? Washington desperate enough to BE THE SCHOOL to offer him a job knowing there's trouble headed Boise st s way

of course I don't know the guy; however, these are power hungry men who want as much of it as they can get. Peterson out of the blue takes UW job instead of a power house school that could build him into a truly a legend.

BSU isn't a sinking ship. I don't know why some people keep saying things like that. Heres the deal BSU is a good football program across the board. That goes beyond coaching. Hawkins excelled there before Petersen. It's a football school. They have football people running the show. They will be fine.

The biggest problem for BSU going forward is the coming playoff system. If they think they got the shaft in the BCS era, it's going to be a lot worse for mid majors in the coming era. That fact could have well played a part in Petersen leaving.

UW isn't desperate. We are trending upwards and would even without the Petersen hire. Once again, the right people are in place at UW. Gone are the days when the AD and president tried to destroy the program.

You've been told repeatedly as to why Petersen took the UW job over other offers he has received in the past. You just don't listen so I won't get into that.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen's the better x's and o's guy and Sark's the better recruiter. I'm not bashing Sark because he's pretty good at it as well but Peterson's one of the best. I know other UW fans think this is an upgrade but I see it as a step sideways. Hopefully Petersen can get more NW talent into the program but he isn't slick enough to go down to LA and sell the glam of USC. Sark's perfect for that. The day Kiffin got fired it was a no-brainer that Sark was the next coach. He's perfect for it.

They do things differently. Sarks recruiting classes may look better, but coach Pete gets the most out of his players. Always has. Sark also had a lot of great help in the recruiting department.

Petersen is stepping up and with that step up more resources become available to him that he didn't have at BSU. More selling points etc.

I've looked at his recruiting philosophy and I'm all in with it over Sarks.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen's recruiting at this level is unknown and won't be known until at least the end of the next recruiting cycle. Sark picked up some very high profile guys, but by all accounts was big on skill players and not so big on line, kickers, special teams, etc. Lupoi and the other coaches has a lot to do with those big gets as well. We will see what kind of staff Petersen assembles and give them some time to get up to speed on the west coast recruiting. He won't have more than one full cycle to prove to me he can build strong classes, but that is his make or break thing as a head coach here in my mind.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sark didnt seem like the BIG splash coach to me really. Not that he is a bad coach, I just thought USC would go bigger.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not short sell what Sark did here. He took over a team that didn't win a single game and now we're 8-4 in a very competitive conference. I was hoping for 10 wins like everyone else but we lost to really good football teams this year.