• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: USA vs. Russia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RUGBY? Fun sport to watch, but dangerous as hell. No pads & those guys can really hit. On the International level at least.

I played in my first match in three years last Saturday (I'm sick this week, and not making the trip with my team, since it's a bit of a trek away), and they hit at division three club level, as well, I learned.

I'm so out of game shape, though. My tackles were all sloppy, and I was slow to the rucks.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played in my first match in three years last Saturday (I'm sick this week, and not making the trip with my team, since it's a bit of a trek away), and they hit at division three club level, as well, I learned.

I'm so out of game shape, though. My tackles were all sloppy, and I was slow to the rucks.

Time to hit the weight room to get into game shape? I think it's great you're playing all these sports no matter what level they're at. Just don't over do it.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA USA USA USA USA USA
Animated-Waving-American-Flag-.gif

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RUGBY? Fun sport to watch, but dangerous as hell. No pads & those guys can really hit. On the International level at least.

I played, and found it much less dangerous than football precisely because there were no pads. Pads and helmets allow players to launch themselves recklessly into each other. In rugby it generally hurts more to tackle then get tackled, and you are obliged by the rules to wrap up, no "hitting". Of course it didn't matter when we went over the border to play some of the New England teams who didn't understand the difference, even though they were getting penalized every other play. Meatheads.

Back on topic, I think that goal counts in the NHL. I believe the rule is that if they peg is still partially in the hole it's up to the ref to determine whether the dislodged net made a difference in the goal. Since the Russian shot was nowhere near the post I think it would have stood up under review.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played, and found it much less dangerous than football precisely because there were no pads. Pads and helmets allow players to launch themselves recklessly into each other. In rugby it generally hurts more to tackle then get tackled, and you are obliged by the rules to wrap up, no "hitting". Of course it didn't matter when we went over the border to play some of the New England teams who didn't understand the difference, even though they were getting penalized every other play. Meatheads.

Back on topic, I think that goal counts in the NHL. I believe the rule is that if they peg is still partially in the hole it's up to the ref to determine whether the dislodged net made a difference in the goal. Since the Russian shot was nowhere near the post I think it would have stood up under review.

On rugby: That's true, hits are softer in rugby. But as a tackler, my approach was the same when I played football as it is now that I play rugby. Go low, wrap the legs. I never knock anyone back, but I always get them to the ground.

On the goal: I think the announces said that in international play, the net just has to be off, regardless of its affect on whether or not it's a good goal, so under the rules, it was the right call. I also think in the NHL, the net would have stayed on.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to the ball park & coach 2 age groups in baseball & went to the skating rink for a birthday party..... But all I can think about is US Hockey. Do I have a problem????

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWPlKAb3zM]USA fans at Banshee in Boston celebrate shootout win over Russia in Olympics - YouTube[/ame]

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to the ball park & coach 2 age groups in baseball & went to the skating rink for a birthday party..... But all I can think about is US Hockey. Do I have a problem????

I'm having the same problem

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a break. Quick with the sneaky move to get the net off it's moorings. He knew exactly what he was doing. He knows where the post is. He knows how much room he has before he hits the net. The Russians got hosed. We'll take it though.:D:

Not sure he did it on purpose, and probably didn't because those pegs are pretty squishy it seems.

BUT - he knew it was off and only said anything when he got beat like the proverbial rented mule. I wonder how long he would have let play continue had Tootie not blew the radio shot past him? The goalie has some responsibility to communicate with the stripes there. If you know it's off, yell something.

Also, general question, is it bad practice to stop yourself on the goal post? Should I stop doing that?

If you are butterfly sliding with your blades parallel to the ice, yes it is a bad practice. It kills your blades and puts too much compression on the ankles when you stop. If you need to butterfly slide across towards the post aim to keep your foot outside the net and stop your momentum with your side/butt on the post. Also try to avoid getting your toe inside the net on a butterfly slide. That wrecks your knee.

If you are cutting across but not in the butterfly, you should jam your foot against the post at about 45 degree angle and use that momentum to lay the outer edge of your pad and your armpit against the post. Post knee up is what it's called.

4329795252_8a35fe0e8b_o.jpg

/now you have a goalie coach :D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best reaction videos? The ones of the kids at morning hockey practice. How awesome and important is that? I mean, these games mean so incredibly much, not just in standings or medals, but in the future of the sport in this country. Huge.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go figure. Putin was actually involved in choosing the Russian coaching staff. But will he take the heat? Nope.

I didn't even know that Bilyaletdinov was the head coach until today. I still remember first watching him in the Canada Cup in '84, man it seems like that was yesterday. He never played well enough to get a post-game Eskimo carving though

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure he did it on purpose, and probably didn't because those pegs are pretty squishy it seems.

BUT - he knew it was off and only said anything when he got beat like the proverbial rented mule. I wonder how long he would have let play continue had Tootie not blew the radio shot past him? The goalie has some responsibility to communicate with the stripes there. If you know it's off, yell something.

If you are butterfly sliding with your blades parallel to the ice, yes it is a bad practice. It kills your blades and puts too much compression on the ankles when you stop. If you need to butterfly slide across towards the post aim to keep your foot outside the net and stop your momentum with your side/butt on the post. Also try to avoid getting your toe inside the net on a butterfly slide. That wrecks your knee.

If you are cutting across but not in the butterfly, you should jam your foot against the post at about 45 degree angle and use that momentum to lay the outer edge of your pad and your armpit against the post. Post knee up is what it's called.

4329795252_8a35fe0e8b_o.jpg

/now you have a goalie coach :D

I am a butterfly goalie, so I'll keep that in mind if I ever move to the ice.

No problem if I'm playing street, though, yes? :)

Also, one more question, how can you tell where you are relative to the net without looking at it? I'm almost always off my angle, usually cheating to my stick side. And while we're discussing how often I get beat glove high, where should I carry my glove?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, one more question, how can you tell where you are relative to the net without looking at it? I'm almost always off my angle, usually cheating to my stick side. And while we're discussing how often I get beat glove high, where should I carry my glove?
Methinks DS owns a Segway.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate that rule that allows a shooter to repeat.

The shootout is bad enough about taking a team sport and narrowing it to a 1 on 1 skills competition. But when you don't even have to go through the team's depth to decide it, it's horrible.

IMO, that game proved two rule changes are needed: 1) Goals count even if the net is slightly off if the net being off has no effect on whether the puck goes in or not and 2) They need to force cycling of shooters in the shootout (better change would be to allow ties in the group phase and play until you have a winner in elimination games, but let's be realistic).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a butterfly goalie, so I'll keep that in mind if I ever move to the ice.

No problem if I'm playing street, though, yes? :)

I am assuming where you play has standard markings on the surface? If so, remember 9 points. Imaginary straight lines from the center of the net to 9 different places on the ice.
1 - Center of the goal to center ice faceoff dot.
2,3 - Center of goal to faceoff dots outside blueline to where red line meets the boards (each side)
4,5 - Center of goal to where Blue Line meets boards (each side)
6,7 - Center of goal through faceoff dots in zone to boards (on ice this is good because there is almost always a door that is on line to visualize as well). Each side
8,9 - Hard to post straight to where goal line meets boards each side.

In warm up, start on one post and move in an arc along outside of crease and stopping to set position at each of the nine points, then go back. Helps set in your head where net center is behind you. Also at every whistle rest your back against the crossbar and tap each post. One with the stick, one with your trapper. Every whistle.

As for the glove, fingertips up - glove open and slightly forward from your body. It's easier to bring down that it is to move up, so I always tell my goalies to carry it so the top of the webbing is about 3 or so inches from level with your shoulder.

Hand1-vlcsnap-00001-crop.jpg

I really hate that rule that allows a shooter to repeat.

The shootout is bad enough about taking a team sport and narrowing it to a 1 on 1 skills competition. But when you don't even have to go through the team's depth to decide it, it's horrible.

:agree:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am assuming where you play has standard markings on the surface? If so, remember 9 points. Imaginary straight lines from the center of the net to 9 different places on the ice.
1 - Center of the goal to center ice faceoff dot.
2,3 - Center of goal to faceoff dots outside blueline to where red line meets the boards (each side)
4,5 - Center of goal to where Blue Line meets boards (each side)
6,7 - Center of goal through faceoff dots in zone to boards (on ice this is good because there is almost always a door that is on line to visualize as well). Each side
8,9 - Hard to post straight to where goal line meets boards each side.

In warm up, start on one post and move in an arc along outside of crease and stopping to set position at each of the nine points, then go back. Helps set in your head where net center is behind you. Also at every whistle rest your back against the crossbar and tap each post. One with the stick, one with your trapper. Every whistle.

As for the glove, fingertips up - glove open and slightly forward from your body. It's easier to bring down that it is to move up, so I always tell my goalies to carry it so the top of the webbing is about 3 or so inches from level with your shoulder.

Hand1-vlcsnap-00001-crop.jpg

:agree:

Absolutely this. Get it high, get it open, get the fingers up. If I see that lobster claw turned over even a little you'll just be hearing that inside bar ring and shaking your head.