• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Urban Meyer...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I can think of is that he wanted to do a good deed for Earle Bruce, who gave Urban his start. And there's a possibility Bruce was in his ear, to do Smith a solid(favor).
That's a hell of a lot more than a solid

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it extremely unlikely that his wife knew, had received pictures of the abuse in 2015, and did not tell Urban. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

I agree that this should play out, and no doubt more information will come out as this goes on, but I don't see any way he survives this. The PR hit alone in keeping him would be catastrophic, and no doubt invite the NCAA into the mix, which no one wants.

But knowing this had happened in the past, knowing his wife 100% knew as proven by the text messages released, it is reasonable to believe that he knew, and was in violation of the OSU code of conduct, and his own contract, as well as Title IX.

But, if anyone could survive this outside of Saban.....it's Urban.
Well he didn't violate any NCAA bylaws that I know of, and they generally don't care about anything unless it involves someone making money without getting a cut of it themselves, so I doubt they'd get involved.

Lying about not knowing, I'm not really sure what he would have to gain from that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone give me the cliff notes. I'm not reading 29 pages.
Non Ohio State fans: Urban Meyer beat that woman and should be fired for murdering her
Ohio State fans: nothing to see here, he did nothing wrong. It’s a witch hunt.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a hell of a lot more than a solid

Agreed, it is. But try putting into perspective from Urban's point of view. Urban worked under Bruce for 5 years, of which were very early in his career. Essentially what Smith was doing working under Urban. Maybe Urban looks up to Bruce, maybe he's listening to Bruce say that this isn't really who Smith is. It's obviously a tough position to be put in because you're essentially ending the career of your mentor's grandson if you say something. After what came out right before media days, Urban had no choice but too.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, it is. But try putting into perspective from Urban's point of view. Urban worked under Bruce for 5 years, of which were very early in his career. Essentially what Smith was doing working under Urban. Maybe Urban looks up to Bruce, maybe he's listening to Bruce say that this isn't really who Smith is. It's obviously a tough position to be put in because you're essentially ending the career of your mentor's grandson if you say something. After what came out right before media days, Urban had no choice but too.
You're definitely right, that would have been an awful position to be in. However, while it's one thing to keep him as a coach, it's another to try and intimidate his wife. If he's actually guilty of that, I hope he gets hammered.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't understand.

1. Were the police called when this Domestic Violence happened?

2. If they were any further actions are out of Suburban Meyers hands.

3. If they were not Courtney Smith has an obligation to report it to police.

Am I missing something?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he didn't violate any NCAA bylaws that I know of, and they generally don't care about anything unless it involves someone making money without getting a cut of it themselves, so I doubt they'd get involved.

Lying about not knowing, I'm not really sure what he would have to gain from that.

NCAA could be involved because Title IX implications apply:

Specific language that applies to Title IX:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

Also part of this is OSU's code of conduct for employees:

Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct policy, under the auspices of Title IX, requires all university employees to report what they know. Under domestic abuse, Ohio State's threshold is not whether a person has been charged. It reads in part, "An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

When you put those two together (the Title IX requirement to report), plus the code of conduct from OSU, it does not bode well for Meyer.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're definitely right, that would have been an awful position to be in. However, while it's one thing to keep him as a coach, it's another to try and intimidate his wife. If he's actually guilty of that, I hope he gets hammered.

I don't think Urban actually did it himself, rather the people around the situation, who in turn are close to Urban. Urban may have influenced the people, who actually were doing the talking to her.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I missing something?

Incorrect. Meyer still had an obligation to report the incidents he knew of to OSU by way of Title IX and OSU's own code of conduct for employees on sexual misconduct.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban meyer covered for a domestic abuser because they "is a hell of a coach".

So he'd make a terrible cop.

what else

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I missing something?

According to what I read, she did press charges, but was then pressured into dropping them by an associate/adviser of Urban and other people. This was in 2009.

The 2015 incident happens, she lets Urban's wife know, according to what I read, charges were never filed. Maybe she was worried about ramifications if she did?

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work. This thread needed a little comedy sprinkled in.:yo:

tumblr_mzhdebt8551rtbl5vo1_400.gif

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing something?
Yes. Several things.

As far as Urban Meyer's obligations go, this question has no relevance.

That's not true. Under Title IX, Meyer is obligated to report to the Title IX office on his campus. Police action/inaction has no bearing on that obligation.

The victim is under no such obligation.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NCAA could be involved because Title IX implications apply:

Specific language that applies to Title IX:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

Also part of this is OSU's code of conduct for employees:

Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct policy, under the auspices of Title IX, requires all university employees to report what they know. Under domestic abuse, Ohio State's threshold is not whether a person has been charged. It reads in part, "An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

When you put those two together (the Title IX requirement to report), plus the code of conduct from OSU, it does not bode well for Meyer.
And you might be right. Again, I'm still confused as to why he'd have onus to report something that was public record already, but who the hell knows. It's a bad look regardless of what happens, but when all is said and done, I don't think this is enough to fire him. That's a really, really slippery slope. That would mean John Harbaugh needs to be fired in Baltimore and Jason Garrett in Dallas needs to be fired because of Ray Rice/Greg Hardy.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Title IX is a federal law as well that requires any employee of an entity that receives federal funds to report this kind of abuse. So Urban is also required, by law, to do this.

I just reviewed Title IX. I saw a lot about sexual abuse/violence, particularly against students, but I didn’t see anything about domestic violence.