• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Urban Meyer: 'Penn State deserved to be in playoff'

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU was undefeated and Alabama had more losses.

Ohio St had 1 loss, Penn St had 2 losses.

But Penn State not only beat Ohio State but also won the conference Ohio State is in.

If those two things don't matter, why even play the games?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just had to put that in there. I wish I had your crystal ball. I'd make a killing with Vegas.

Shit, you made the argument already when you made your excuses for losing to Alabama remember? QB had to have surgery, players injured, blah blah blah.

Or was that only valid for playing Alabama?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Penn State not only beat Ohio State but also won the conference Ohio State is in.

If Penn St was undefeated as your example pretends, they would have gone.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing the SEC needs to do.

Get rid of divisons completely, they are unbalanced and they do not lead to the 2 best teams playing for the conference.

Designate 2 or 3 permament rivalry games that get played every year. Ohio St vs Michigan every year, etc. The games that matter most, you keep them.

Rotate the rest of the conference games.

Take the 2 best teams at the end of the year and put them in the championship game. And if a rematch is needed, then it's better than taking some team that doesn't deserve it and putting them in there.

Even on an 8 game conference schedule, you'll never go more than like 2 years without playing any team in the conference.

I like that. But you would rob Florida of it's claim of champion of the East.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes in cycles. Divisions go up and down. Take the SEC East for example .... they won't be down forever. Same with the ACC Coastal, PAC South, etc ...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing the SEC needs to do.

Get rid of divisons completely, they are unbalanced and they do not lead to the 2 best teams playing for the conference.

Designate 2 or 3 permament rivalry games that get played every year. Ohio St vs Michigan every year, etc. The games that matter most, you keep them.

Rotate the rest of the conference games.

Take the 2 best teams at the end of the year and put them in the championship game. And if a rematch is needed, then it's better than taking some team that doesn't deserve it and putting them in there.

Even on an 8 game conference schedule, you'll never go more than like 2 years without playing any team in the conference.

Agree with much of this.

Honestly, I think the PAC had it right when we were the PAC-10 and played a round robin schedule. Unfortunately, the rest of cfb was about bigger conferences, divisions and CCG's (aka...money).

10 team conferences on a round robin schedule would eliminate situations like last year when Penn St. was the conference champ, but didn't get in while a team they beat (but that had a better overall record) and wasn't even in the CCG, goes to the playoff.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen because now that conferences have expanded...who do they drop? What happens to those teams? Do you drop a team or 2 that has been in the conference since it's inception over a couple of teams that were added via expansion, but are currently performing better?

Plus, as I mentioned, more teams and CCG's equals more money and conferences aren't going to give that up in favor of having a true, undisputed conference champ.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well
If Ohio State is on the fence trying to get a playoff spot in the near future, they be fucked now.

Thanks Urban.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee $erve$ their ma$ter$. Period.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer: Penn State deserved to be in playoff after winning Big Ten

20161203__04TCSBigTen~1_500.jpg
Play Off expansion.Take the questions out of the equation. They already use an expanded model in the FCS play offs.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee $erve$ their ma$ter$. Period.

Really? ... I heard there was a children's center next to the football stadium and they was afraid the Penn State football team wouldn't show up to the game.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If head to head is the only determining factor why should Penn State get in over Michigan?

As I recall Florida State got waxed in their last playoff appearance by Oregon. Should the ACC be left out of the playoffs? I would have been fine with Ohio State or the Big being left out if there was a plausible argument.

There was a plausible argument. I had just given it to you.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play Off expansion.Take the questions out of the equation. They already use an expanded model in the FCS play offs.
Then we have to hear arguments on how the 7-12th teams deserve to be in there over the last team selected?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting there will be a final push for expansion, that brings us to the P4. The last push will be when a conference decides to do their own playoff, after realizing that unbalanced schedules lead to strange results. Using the SEC, the SEC West champ will play East #2 and East #1 will play West #2. There will be no need for a committee at that pt

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we have to hear arguments on how the 7-12th teams deserve to be in there over the last team selected?

But that is just sports and it's OK. We used to argue over 2 and 3. Now we argue 4 and 5. That is a slightly less relevant argument. People argue over the NCAA Bball tourney. It's fun, but you are arguing over 32nd or 33rd at large team. Entertaining argument, but it is forgotten by the first game.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see that being an issue.I believe the 2 team was the worst as far as controversies.Too many variables in the 5 P5 conferences for 4 to be effective.Extending the play offs the base needed.With some other smaller improvements to be tweaked as well..6-8 would be the perfect number to vastly improve the flaws imo.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Welcome to the retardiness of split conf, and CCGs.. the B10 saw how it worked/didn't work ,but decided to go there anyway. And the B12 will find out the same way.
I seem to remember there being a conf. that had a 5-4 team play an 8-1 team in the CCG, while another 8-1 had to stay home and watch the game on tv. There were mitigating circumstances that led to this!!! And the point you are making can go with this to show how f---- up things are now.
In your case tho, Penn St. did have two losses and wasn't getting in, no way no how.

(it takes a special team in a special conf. to make the playoffs with 2 losses!)