• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Urban Meyer driven 'insane' by Herman, Muschamp blaming players

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any head coach should get embarrassed on the big stage at home like that and act as if it was the previous season's fault. Texas is a talented team and should've beaten Maryland comfortably. Instead they shit the bed in about as embarrassing of fashion as they could. He should've said "I did not have my team prepared as I should have, but will work through the season to ensure we improve." Instead, he acted like he inherited a team with no talent at all and that it wasn't his fault that they lost.
Could Herman have chosen a different way to express his thoughts on the team's performance? Certainly. And your version probably would have done the trick.

But I still believe that his comments were liberally interpreted by Meyer and Co.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Herman have chosen a different way to express his thoughts on the team's performance? Certainly. And your version probably would have done the trick.

But I still believe that his comments were liberally interpreted by Meyer and Co.
Yeah, it's certainly possible. That said, if in 2012 when Urban took over we lost our home opener to a much less talented team in such embarrassing fashion, I would've been fucking pissed if his response was "we can't sprinkle fairy dust on it..."

That's one of the most yellow-bellied things a coach can ever say after failing so miserably, especially one that has such fanfare surrounding them. If that's his mindset, he very well might be Kevin Sumlin 2.0.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went into Muschamp and the talent he left them. I think people are just reading the headlines on this stuff.
Yes in reference to the cupboards being bare and need their own kids. You are probably right as far as reading headlines just not with me.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lolz

I got a score update on my phone and turned the game on while I did some shit around the house. I just kept thinking about @TexasExes98's comments regarding the B1G and nearly laughed my middle testicle clear off.

Maryland.

So funny.
I couldn't stop laughing my ass off. I noticed he never showed back up in that thread to eat crow about it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes in reference to the cupboards being bare and need their own kids. You are probably right as far as reading headlines just not with me.

After the Clemson game Meyer was happy to insinuate that the OC didn't follow the game plan and the players didn't execute. So I find his comments to be funny

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't stop laughing my ass off. I noticed he never showed back up in that thread to eat crow about it.

I was trying to remember who it was that said Big 12 defenses would be as good as B1G defenses if they got to play the same schedule. Was it @TexasExes98 that said something along those lines?

Watching a B1G bottom feeder drop 51 points on UT was hilarious. The best part -- UT had a Punt return TD, fumble recovery TD and a blocked FG TD and STILL lost by double digits to Maryland.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to remember who it was that said Big 12 defenses would be as good as B1G defenses if they got to play the same schedule. Was it @TexasExes98 that said something along those lines?

Watching a B1G bottom feeder drop 51 points on UT was hilarious. The best part -- UT had a Punt return TD, fumble recovery TD and a blocked FG TD and STILL lost by double digits to Maryland.
But don't forget Texas decided that it had to make up for it's big plays by giving Maryland a blocked kick and fumbling a kickoff deep.... Just proving that Texas, despite its reputation, is about giving and fair play

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's certainly possible. That said, if in 2012 when Urban took over we lost our home opener to a much less talented team in such embarrassing fashion, I would've been fucking pissed if his response was "we can't sprinkle fairy dust on it..."

That's one of the most yellow-bellied things a coach can ever say after failing so miserably, especially one that has such fanfare surrounding them. If that's his mindset, he very well might be Kevin Sumlin 2.0.
Good point. You don't want your new HC (especially a much hyped one) to make excuses or say something totally asinine. You want to hear comments that invoke culpability, ownership i.e. this is on me...

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Clemson game Meyer was happy to insinuate that the OC didn't follow the game plan and the players didn't execute. So I find his comments to be funny
Where was that I missed it? Also that has noting to do with FL.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas is a joke. I don't think OSU is going to blow out Oklahoma but the rest of the conference would be pummeled by any of the top 3 teams in the B1G, and Wisconsin would easily take care of all of them outside of the Oklahoma schools.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. You don't want your new HC (especially a much hyped one) to make excuses or say something totally asinine. You want to hear comments that invoke culpability, ownership i.e. this is on me...
Bingo. You'd never hear Meyer, Saban, even Harbaugh say anything like that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL what a fucking stupid post. Please, I'm interested in hearing you elaborate, because I have the entire transcript of his postgame comments and none of what you said is true.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is a trip. One small soundbite and everybody has it all figured out what context he was speaking in. Watch the press conference yourself and tell me he threw his team and the former coaching staff under the bus.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never heard Meyer say anything close to that. The only time he ever mentioned a coach was when he took the blame for the loss to MSU because Tim Beck was in over his head as OC. Maybe we are making too much of this, but there's something about that comment that I just don't like. Sprinkled fairy dust on it.. what does that even mean? Is it code for.. the coaching staff didn't prepare the team? these kids just don't have it? I agree with @Across The Field. If Urban said something like that after a tough loss I'd be pissed too.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2010 5-7
2011 8-5
2012 9-4
2013 8-5
2014 6-7
2015 5-7
2016 5-7

That's who we are at the moment. That isn't a blip, that's a pattern of mediocre to bad football. Nobody gives a shit that Texas has won a lot of games through history. Nobody gives a shit we have highly rated recruiting classes. They see a wounded Texas program and smell blood in the water.

Our players frankly just aren't that much better than their opponents where the little mistakes they constantly make wont lead to a loss. We aren't recruiting like we use to when Mack was in his hey day. We just out talented our opponents back then on a regular basis. That was part of Mack's overall coaching philosophy. He kept simple game plans and let the talent play. We aren't that good anymore.

Nobody is going to role over for Tom Herman. He's going to have to earn turning this program around by out coaching, out recruiting, and out working the people on our schedule. He's dead right that no magic fairy dust is gonna make that happen. He and his players are going to have to earn it.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to point out the obvious, Herman is trying to lock Meyer out of Texas. They've been playing silly games with each other by showing up at satellite camps the other commits to. This is just Meyer firing shots and kicking a dog while it's down so they can try and get their pick of the litter like last year. Herman has locked down several guys Meyer wanted and they are competing for a few more. It's just football gamesmanship.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But don't forget Texas decided that it had to make up for it's big plays by giving Maryland a blocked kick and fumbling a kickoff deep.... Just proving that Texas, despite its reputation, is about giving and fair play

Can't argue with that. They were very gracious on the field, allowing Maryland to beat them on the ground and thru the air equally. Heck, they even let the true freshman QB lead the team right down the field, so he didn't feel left out. :behindsofa:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took for granted people would know by "without Tebow" I meant as a contributor. Yes, Tebow was a backup QB that was used occasionally on short yardage situations.

Tebow was absolutely a contributor though. That's my point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard Meyer say anything close to that. The only time he ever mentioned a coach was when he took the blame for the loss to MSU because Tim Beck was in over his head as OC. Maybe we are making too much of this, but there's something about that comment that I just don't like. Sprinkled fairy dust on it.. what does that even mean? Is it code for.. the coaching staff didn't prepare the team? these kids just don't have it? I agree with @Across The Field. If Urban said something like that after a tough loss I'd be pissed too.

www.google.com/amp/s/articles.cleveland.com/osu/2017/01/everything_urban_meyer_jt_barr.amp

Not a lot of "I" in those comments. Lots of players didn't execute though

I like how he didn't realize how many passes they threw and went on to say "we did t follow the game plan"

I like some guys worked their tails off, some didn't. Something like that

Clemson is talented, but we didn't execute.

The term "we" doesn't feel like he included himself

Last edited: