• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like has been said, OLD, and probably not the best recruiter either. This staff needs to get younger

He's 65 right now. It seems silly to knowingly hire someone who would most likely coach for < 5 years

Do you expect this hire to take over for Beamer when he retires? My thought was Fridge and Frank would probably retire at the same time. When Frank retires there's going to be huge staff turnover no matter what.

I want to win now, while Frank is still coaching. This move should be about Frank getting a championship.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do you expect this hire to take over for Beamer when he retires? My thought was Fridge and Frank would probably retire at the same time. When Frank retires there's going to be huge staff turnover no matter what.

I want to win now, while Frank is still coaching. This move should be about Frank getting a championship.

Partially agree. Beamer and Fridge have a good relationship, Fridge has a proven track record on offense (with a very flexible, balanced approach), and at this point the age of a single assitant matters very little compared to Beamer's age. I think alittle fresh perspective would do us alittle better than the guy who already knows our program as well as most anyone else in that profession.

The real problem I have with Fridge is his QB issues in the later part of his career at Maryland. QB play was extremely hit or miss and the overall record mirrors that. It actually seemed like a QB would digress until injured, and the backup would come in and be far better than the last guy ever was, only to digress until injured, in an endless cycle.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure about this. I think there is going to be enough strain on the program when frank retires, that I would be surprised if the administration went with someone who would bring in an entire new crew. I fully expect Bud, Torian, Shane, Cornell etc. to all still be on staff once the frankanator retires. If we're able to keep our OC, or even hire an OC now that could be fit to be promoted to Head Coach eventually, I think VT would go that route just to farther alleviate some of the turnover

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem I have with Fridge is his QB issues in the later part of his career at Maryland. QB play was extremely hit or miss and the overall record mirrors that. It actually seemed like a QB would digress until injured, and the backup would come in and be far better than the last guy ever was, only to digress until injured, in an endless cycle.

Fair enough. Any thoughts on someone who's been better with QBs?

I'm not so sure about this. I think there is going to be enough strain on the program when frank retires, that I would be surprised if the administration went with someone who would bring in an entire new crew. I fully expect Bud, Torian, Shane, Cornell etc. to all still be on staff once the frankanator retires. If we're able to keep our OC, or even hire an OC now that could be fit to be promoted to Head Coach eventually, I think VT would go that route just to farther alleviate some of the turnover

I should have phrased that as "by the time Frank retires there will have been huge staff turnover."

If Bud never gets a HC gig (looking less and less like he'll get a chance here) then Gray will almost certainly get hired as a DC somewhere else. If Shane isn't HC or OC when Frank retires he will probably move on as well. It would be great if we could find an OC who could become the HC, but I don't see many realistic possibilities. Hopefully I'll be suprised.

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why do people keep thinking that Torrian Gray can be a defensive coordinator or that Shane can be an offensive coordinator? thats so stupid... How on earth can Shane be an OC if he only coached on offense for 2 years, Charley Wiles is closer to becoming a DC than Torrian Gray...

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Tg has NFL playing and coaching experience not to mention his exemplary career so far at vt. Factor in the fact that he played and coaches under one of the greatest dc's of this era and I would say torrian is well on his way to being a dc somewhere some day.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know why most think the bud foster will never be the head coach at vt and why....but I still feel like he's earned a shot and could light a fire under this program's ass...bud to hcoach..tg to dc .. That's what i wantif the staff will stay..but coaches move on..a goodrogram backfills

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know why most think the bud foster will never be the head coach at vt and why....but I still feel like he's earned a shot and could light a fire under this program's ass...bud to hcoach..tg to dc .. That's what i wantif the staff will stay..but coaches move on..a goodrogram backfills

Let's just save our money for Chip Kelly when he flames out of the NFL in 3 years.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio states offense was shit before urban got there.... Boring and didnt score points.

A simple google search would have shown you that this was Herman's first season at Ohio State. Herman was the OC at Iowa State for 3 years and was the OC at Rice for 2 years before that. His offenses at both schools put up very impressive marks with Rice being in the top 10 in the nation in passing and points.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A simple google search would have shown you that this was Herman's first season at Ohio State. Herman was the OC at Iowa State for 3 years and was the OC at Rice for 2 years before that. His offenses at both schools put up very impressive marks with Rice being in the top 10 in the nation in passing and points.

Matt just got bitchslapped a little bit.

:target:

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt just got bitchslapped a little bit.

:target:

Haha i didnt do an research. And technically i never said he was a bad coach. Just that ohio states offense was shit before urban got there. Didnt say he was the reason.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with Tennessee hiring Butch Jones, that may make their incumbent Offensive staff more ripe for the picking, as say, if Charlie Strong had been hired.

LETS. GET. ALL OF THEM.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if he's been mentioned on this board, but ODU's OC, Brian Scott, has been mentioned as a possible hire. I read this article about him and I have to say, I think he would be a terrible fit.

Meet the brains behind ODU's best-in-nation offense | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Pretty much... he runs a spread offense. He relies on speed and athleticism at skill positions to make plays. He said they only have 10 pass plays and 2 run plays. They rarely use a TE. I'm sorry, but this system would not work for us. We do not have the athletes to run this system at the FBS level. ODU (because they get 757 recruits) is more athletic than most FCS schools.

He is young (only 35) and successful so far. Maybe he could make adjustments to his system that would fit VT's strength, but this would be a major experiment. I think VT is tired of the unproven OC's and experiments. I hope we bring in somebody proven to be successful at the FBS level. I have no clue who that is right now, though.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha i didnt do an research. And technically i never said he was a bad coach. Just that ohio states offense was shit before urban got there. Didnt say he was the reason.

I posted the stats to debunk that statement.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people keep thinking that Torrian Gray can be a defensive coordinator or that Shane can be an offensive coordinator? thats so stupid... How on earth can Shane be an OC if he only coached on offense for 2 years, Charley Wiles is closer to becoming a DC than Torrian Gray...

David Cutcliffe offered Torrian the DC job at Duke so there's one D1 head coach who believes he can do the job.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am kind of reaching here, but anyone ever heard of Chris Klenakis?? I hadn't either until starting a google search for the Nevada offensive coordinator. He coached under Nevada head coach Chris Ault for a number of years as OC and he and Ault developed the "Pistol" Offense. He moved on to Arkansas several years ago to be Petrino's OLine coach. I would imagine he is available...right now. Don't know anything about him, but read the bio, he has an impressive resume.

Football - Mobile - ArkansasRazorbacks.com - Official Site of Arkansas Razorback Athletics

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I am kind of reaching here, but anyone ever heard of Chris Klenakis?? I hadn't either until starting a google search for the Nevada offensive coordinator. He coached under Nevada head coach Chris Ault for a number of years as OC and he and Ault developed the "Pistol" Offense. He moved on to Arkansas several years ago to be Petrino's OLine coach. I would imagine he is available...right now. Don't know anything about him, but read the bio, he has an impressive resume.

Football - Mobile - ArkansasRazorbacks.com - Official Site of Arkansas Razorback Athletics

Yes. Go get him.