• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UNLV Basketball

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Runnin' Rebels should hire Dave Rice...wait, what!?!?!?:pound: I'm glad he finally got fired/resigned. UNLV looked good last night though.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seem to be beating the teams they should be now. Not sure if the change in coach really mattered or what.
I told someone today that they arent playing down to every one else. Also they they have been coming out of the locker room fired up. Thy were doing the exact opposite under Rice.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told someone today that they arent playing down to every one else. Also they they have been coming out of the locker room fired up. Thy were doing the exact opposite under Rice.
Very true! And they played down consistently under Rice every season and sometimes played up to better opponents.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true! And they played down consistently under Rice every season and sometimes played up to better opponents.

Throwing away big leads, late in games, was driving me up the fucking wall. I never felt safe when they had a lead, even 10 or 15 points with 4 or 5 minutes. Never!. They started missing free throws, turn it over in a key spot, mental break downs all over, and lose by 5.

Then play like they did against UCLA, and be in the game, the whole game. Probably some of the best basketball, generally, that I have seen UNLV play in years, but only at times. Snarky Alford was on fire that game, and the Rebels had every shot in the world to win it. Let it get away on a couple of bone headed plays.

I posted something in the college hoops board, that I was one of the biggest supporters of Rice, but more of a realistic fan. We have to be realistic, in who we even have as options, for a head coach. I figured Rice would get better as the years went on. He would keep recruiting like a mad man, and if given the talent and good assistants, they could make things work and be a quality program.

When it boiled down, it really seems like the kids didn't respect him. I think he relied on his assistants too heavily, and the kids knew he was just there. It felt like the coaches on the bench knew he was lost a bit too, or just in too deep.

How many times have you seen Rice turn to the bench, in the strangest spots in games, like "Hey coaches, what do I do here?" I started actually watching him at every stop in action that I could. Comparing it to what other head coaches do. Which seems to be, know what the fuck is going on, and know what to do. Let the assistants draw up some counter plays to what the opposition is doing. Talk to the assistants right before the huddle, or going into the time outs. Or let the assistant coaches talk in your ear while you are still paying attention to the game.

Now obviously this is not scientific research, and no official stats were recorded, but it became unreal how much he seemed to not know what to do in any situation, and lost. It was too big of a job for him, especially as his first job. Rice is a smart guy, with a great heart, and I think he will be back after running through some lower ranking positions perhaps. I have absolutely no ill will towards him, and wish him the best. No one should have any hard feelings toward a guy who did his best.

Might be my longest post ever.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they beat Reno saturday night, they could very easily run the table with the rest of conference play, (if they stay focused) finish 8-2 with the last ten games and could be very hot heading into the tourney.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow. The Runnin' Rebels look like a different (and better) team under Simon.

dj_john69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,065.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOLF PACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good game Rebels =)

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOLF PACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good game Rebels =)
fuck, i am pissed. The feral dogs of RENO straight up beat us. How the fuck does UNLV lose to a herd of stray dogs. (anger and embarrassment)....
However I think it is awesome and a lot more fun if the games between both schools/teams is more competitive it makes watching them a lot more fun/entertaining.

Congrats on the win but,,,, FUCK Reno!!!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what its fine, now they can run off 9 straight wins! And work on their free throws.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FT's, FT's, FT's...:gaah:

Miss 14 of 'em & lose by 2.:rant: And :finger2: nevaaaaada-reeeeno!