• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyler Skaggs Keep?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I picked him up and started him twice and now the Diamondbacks have optioned him to Triple A with the thought of bringing him up the next time the Diamondbacks need a 5th starter.

So the question is: Should I keep him or not? I mean right now he is NA on my list

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thu, Jul 11
Diamondbacks optioned LHP Tyler Skaggs to High-A Visalia.
Advice: Skaggs is being sent down so that he can stay on turn during the All-Star break. He's likely to be back the next time the D'Backs need a fifth starter.
(Rotoworld.com)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I picked him up and started him twice and now the Diamondbacks have optioned him to Triple A with the thought of bringing him up the next time the Diamondbacks need a 5th starter.

So the question is: Should I keep him or not? I mean right now he is NA on my list

In keeper leagues, he has t be kept at this point. However, in yearly leagues, in anything 12 teams or less, he is only a so-so option IMO.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure he will be back in the rotation immediately after the break. As indicated in your second post, the reason he went all the way down to A ball is because AA & AAA were on all star break and they wanted him to be on his normal rotation. I would say he shouldn't be NA more then into the 5th game back. There is no timetable right now on Cahill, and there are rumblings about a possible Kennedy DL stint as well. Barring a trade, I am thinking Skaggs will be in the rotation for a little bit....

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure he will be back in the rotation immediately after the break. As indicated in your second post, the reason he went all the way down to A ball is because AA & AAA were on all star break and they wanted him to be on his normal rotation. I would say he shouldn't be NA more then into the 5th game back. There is no timetable right now on Cahill, and there are rumblings about a possible Kennedy DL stint as well. Barring a trade, I am thinking Skaggs will be in the rotation for a little bit....

Ok, I am hoping you are right. That would be great. He is a player who could get me some points.

BigD - You are right it is not a keeper league but there really isn't too many options out there for SP.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I am hoping you are right. That would be great. He is a player who could get me some points.

BigD - You are right it is not a keeper league but there really isn't too many options out there for SP.

I don't know if these guys are available, but they might be worth a shot; Erasmo Ramirez, Taijuan Walker, Danny Salazar and Martin Perez. Another guy to keep an eye out for might be Anthony Ranaudo. Kyle Gibson looks pretty shaky right now and already has a strict innings limit, but he might also be worth watching. Nathan Eovaldi might also have some use.

Oh, yeah...that Carlos Martinez guy. If he doesn't stay in the bullpen he could have a nice impact.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if these guys are available, but they might be worth a shot; Erasmo Ramirez, Taijuan Walker, Danny Salazar and Martin Perez. Another guy to keep an eye out for might be Anthony Ranaudo. Kyle Gibson looks pretty shaky right now and already has a strict innings limit, but he might also be worth watching. Nathan Eovaldi might also have some use.

Oh, yeah...that Carlos Martinez guy. If he doesn't stay in the bullpen he could have a nice impact.

Assuming these guys or some are available who should I snag up and as a result should I drop Skaggs because of it? Also, no worries folks I am not in any of your leagues so its all good :suds:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will let him correct me if I am off base on this one, but, I think Chef and I are coming at this from opposite ends of the fantasy spectrum. Just from the post above, you should be able to see that he lists a bunch of young guys, with lots of talent and lost of upside. That is a way to go to be sure.

However, I tend to go the other route, and go with guys that have a bit more of a proven track record. At this point in the season, I know there are not a lot of guys left. However, there is likely someone on the waiver wire that has struggled all or part of this year, but has a track record that one could use to gleen that said player would play better in the 2nd half, and end up with numbers at or near their yearly norms.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming these guys or some are available who should I snag up and as a result should I drop Skaggs because of it? Also, no worries folks I am not in any of your leagues so its all good :suds:

That's pretty difficult to predict; it's kinda comprised of half homework and half crapshoot. In our MBBRL league i'm looking to strike gold, so i've got Ramirez, Walker and Perez...hoping that at least one of them will gimme some lovin'. You never know, Skaggs or one of the others could turn out to be The Golden One...or maybe none of them will.

If you need someone now and twisted my arm, I would say take a shot with Ramirez or Perez...and if they bomb, keep an eye on how the rest are doing.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will let him correct me if I am off base on this one, but, I think Chef and I are coming at this from opposite ends of the fantasy spectrum. Just from the post above, you should be able to see that he lists a bunch of young guys, with lots of talent and lost of upside. That is a way to go to be sure.

However, I tend to go the other route, and go with guys that have a bit more of a proven track record. At this point in the season, I know there are not a lot of guys left. However, there is likely someone on the waiver wire that has struggled all or part of this year, but has a track record that one could use to gleen that said player would play better in the 2nd half, and end up with numbers at or near their yearly norms.

That's a good point...I was assuming that's what he was looking for. In that case, maybe we're talking Lohse, Miley, Hudson, maybe Gee? Redseat, maybe you can name a few guys who are out there?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Actual "current" Rank right now (instead of o-rank)

drew smyly
brett cecil
bronson arroyo - worth a shot..... no?
Josh collmenter
chad guadin
luke hochever

to name a few

IF I GO BY O-Rank
brandon marrow - dl
roy halladay - dl
brett anderson - dl
josh beckett - dl
the person not on the dl on the top 10 is edwin jackson or Phil Hughes

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

drew smyly
brett cecil
Josh collmenter
chad guadin
luke hochever

to name a few

IF I GO BY O-Rank
brandon marrow - dl
roy halladay - dl
brett anderson - dl
josh beckett - dl

I would go Arroyo all day here. He is one of the most steady and sturdy starting pitchers out there. He is no star, and will not have monster game or games. What he will do is pitch 200 innings every year, and give you a league avg e.r.a and whip numbers to go with that.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

drew smyly
brett cecil
Josh collmenter
chad guadin
luke hochever

to name a few

IF I GO BY O-Rank
brandon marrow - dl
roy halladay - dl
brett anderson - dl
josh beckett - dl

I like Edwin Jackson and Arroyo best on that list. Jackson's a good pitcher, just not the best fit in Wrigley.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go Arroyo all day here. He is one of the most steady and sturdy starting pitchers out there. He is no star, and will not have monster game or games. What he will do is pitch 200 innings every year, and give you a league avg e.r.a and whip numbers to go with that.

That's what I was thinking. I just don't want to drop Skaggs.... Though most likely get more out of Arroyo then Skaggs.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was thinking. I just don't want to drop Skaggs.... Though most likely get more out of Arroyo then Skaggs.

Just me and my "bird in the hand" fantasy mindset.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or should I drop Lester for Arroyo? I mean Lester has been god awful as of late.... Arroyo to me has more upside to me in the 2nd half compared to Lester.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or drop Kevin Slowey?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or Kevin Slowey? I have him as well and he hasn't helped me either

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dropped Slowey... Though I am seriously considering dropping Lester

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or drop Kevin Slowey?

Slowey is the guy to drop here. Unlike Lester, he does not have a good track record, so there is little reason for you to wait to see if he will pan out or turn things around. This is saying nothing of having that horrible Marlins team behind him, which would cost just about every pitcher a handful of wins.