• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Two days at the Padres, June 30 & July 1

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is batting .230 since start of last year which includes two hitter friendly parks in Chicago and AZ. Not really sure what all the fuss is about?

25 AB's for M's is too small a sample size, but 55 AB's for AZ and this guy is Johnny Bench.

We are talking about a guy too lazy to even have 2 L's in his first name. Outside Safeco stats mean nothing...uh just look at what we got for him and how that changed.

Whoa... No one's saying he's Johnny Bench... Nor Dan Wilson for that matter... Just seems players hit better when they're not playing for the Mariners...

... and we did trade for him because of his decent bat... We needed a catcher that could hit... I just find it funny that players seem to play well prior to coming to the M's or after they leave the M's... Seems like we don't catch many breaks...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd love for cano to wake up, but there's still little indication that he's heating up, unfortunately.

cano has 10 total hits in 42 ABs since Edgar came aboard, and 4 of them were today.

he's gotten zero hits in 4 of the 10 games that edgar has been the coach, including 3 in a row before today's game.

but the m's have won 2 games in a row, which is an extreme rarity for 2015, so i don't want to be too much of a downer.

His slugging percentage is up 300 points in the last 14 days. They aren't the #'s that you want to see out of a 20 million dollar man but hopefully things are starting to turn around.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit... That was some great pitching by Shields with bases loaded while facing Guti... Those were some nasty pitches... All 6 pitches finding that lower right hand corner of the plate...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that I believe a significant portion of Cano's struggles are in his head, a monster game like this could mean more than just the bump in his BA for the year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG... LOL... I'm such a noob... I was coaching tonight and just got home at 8:00 and started watching the the game (so I thought) live... I just realized that this is tape delay and the game has already been played... LOL... I was wondering why they kept saying, "It's a beautiful afternoon in Downtown San Diego"... Great to see that we got the "W" again...

Nice to see Cano have a great game... Hopefully this get's him on pace...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucre is a bad hitter and Castillo was a bad hitter for us as well. So we traded a bad hitter and replaced him with a bad hitter who plays maybe once a week.

There is nobody in baseball that would ever agree that trading Castillo for Trumbo was a bad move even with how bad Trumbo has been hitting. That is my point. That and people using Castillo's AZ stats vs Trumbo's M's stats.

I guess we just have a difference of opinion. Of course no one would argue that Trumbo is a much better and more valuable player but to me it just didn't make sense regardless of stats.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It cut off the rest of my post, sorry, Trumbo for Castillo is a solid move but it just doesn't make sense into building a baseball club. Negating the fact everyone sucks at hitting the Mariners primary needs after the first month of the season was a backup catcher, speed and defense and after the Trumbo deal they still need all of those.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It cut off the rest of my post, sorry, Trumbo for Castillo is a solid move but it just doesn't make sense into building a baseball club. Negating the fact everyone sucks at hitting the Mariners primary needs after the first month of the season was a backup catcher, speed and defense and after the Trumbo deal they still need all of those.

Couldn't agree with this more... That trade made no sense to me... The biggest gap we had on the team was at the Catcher's position... If Trumbo was a solid defender in the OF, I could've understood the deal a bit more but he's arguably our worst OF regarding his defense...

If we were solid at Catcher then I understand the Trumbo deal a bit more...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree with this more... That trade made no sense to me... The biggest gap we had on the team was at the Catcher's position... If Trumbo was a solid defender in the OF, I could've understood the deal a bit more but he's arguably our worst OF regarding his defense...

If we were solid at Catcher then I understand the Trumbo deal a bit more...

I got to SMH on all this. It was never about finding a defensive wiz in the OF it was about finding a bat. Trumbo has hit for power in Anaheim and in AZ. The fact he hasn't hit here doesn't mean it wasn't a good trade. That would be the same as saying Ackley wasn't a great draft pick because now he sucks. But at the time he was the no-brainer pick. Sometimes it just doesn't work. And for anyone to think Castillo was a huge loss is nuts. He was so good that Cubs traded prospects to get his replacement. He was so good they traded him away because he wasn't even needed as a backup.

Please don't make me go back and find all those articles from ex GM's and baseball people that thought we gave up little for Trumbo and that included the others players involved. Please everyone stop, stop, stop this insanity that is Castillo. I know I will never talk about him again. :frusty:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to SMH on all this. It was never about finding a defensive wiz in the OF it was about finding a bat. Trumbo has hit for power in Anaheim and in AZ. The fact he hasn't hit here doesn't mean it wasn't a good trade. That would be the same as saying Ackley wasn't a great draft pick because now he sucks. But at the time he was the no-brainer pick. Sometimes it just doesn't work. And for anyone to think Castillo was a huge loss is nuts. He was so good that Cubs traded prospects to get his replacement. He was so good they traded him away because he wasn't even needed as a backup.

Please don't make me go back and find all those articles from ex GM's and baseball people that thought we gave up little for Trumbo and that included the others players involved. Please everyone stop, stop, stop this insanity that is Castillo. I know I will never talk about him again. :frusty:

Those Gm's the same ones that said we were going to be very good this year?

player for player ,yes we got the better deal... I don't think anyone would dispute that but it didn't make sense with the huge gap we had at the catcher position... Trumbo is a horrible OF, defensively - we have plenty of those already...