• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Treff's Free agent predictions, QB edition

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about this one for quite awhile. And with this year actually having some impact names at QB, it definitely seems to be all the buzz, so I thought I'd share my thoughts, see what kind of debate we can fire up.
Quick Side note- Nick Foles isn't going anywhere. Not until Wentz is %100, and that sure seems like it'll be into the season at this point, and no one is trading anything substantial for a 30 something journeyman system QB, not to mention Philly would be ridiculous to dela him for anything less than a fortune (that they won't get)

Might as well hit the big dog first-

Kirk Cousins- I've switched my prediction since early early on. I no longer feel ARZ will be in the hunt, let alone where he actually ends up. To me, there are only two teams seriously in the running, with a third who probably thinks they are, but are simply being used for leverage. It's either going to be NYJets, or the Vikes, sorry Denver, you don't have the money, the team around him (or won't once you gut it to get him), nor the coaches/stability (Vance is teetering towards unemployment) to beat out the competition. My money is now on the Vikes. They have the cap room to make the contract work, and with the news that they aren't pushing to toll Brdigewaters' contract, nor franchising Keenum, they're setting up to make a serious run. And they've always been the preferred destination if his desire is truly to win, not solely driven by money. Now should the Jets make good on that rumor of the fully guaranteed contract and the 60 large up front..than welcome to the big apple Kirk.

Drew Brees- lets not get silly, he'll be a Saint till he's done, or refuses to quit at 45, than maybe a Brown

Kase Keenum- Being 30, Keenum, who doesn't rely on a big arm to get the job done, likely has a good five years left at current level, meaning, he's a bit more than a bridge guy, yet not the long term solution. I personally don't feel he's all that great and, like Foles, was maximized by the coaches as to what he could do, and rarely was asked to do anything out of the ordinary. Hell, the first few games he started in place of Bradford, there were calls for Kyle Slotter to take over. But h'es got some nice intangibles, good experience, and can do enough for a good team to get by. Sounds like a perfect fit for ARZ, who isn't necessarily in position to draft a franchise QB this year, unless one falls.

AJ McCarron - I truly think this is a done deal to to the Browns, there's no way anyone would offer him more, and all he truly wants is a moment to prove he's good enough to start, and get paid like it, in this league.

Here's where it gets trickier-

Bradford, McCown, Bridgewater, I"ll even toss Cutler in there.

One of these guys will end up in Denver, my money is on Bridgewater atm, with McCown a close second, no way they touch Cutler. I honestly don't have a clue as to the rest. Buffalo and Jacksonville still seem like logical landing spots for veteran players that can either push Tyrod/Bortles, or maybe even push them out the door.

The others? if they end up mattering, it'll be some out of the blue shock due to injury.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the Saints already gave Brees an extension. Same with Bortles in Jax.
If I were the Saints, I would have gone after Cousins.
I like Brees. But he's not getting any younger.

If the Broncos miss out on Cousins which they should, my guess is they trade for Tyrod Taylor or sign Bradford. Just a guess. And maybe a bad guess.

The Bills have made it so clear they dont trust Taylor, I just see the Bills doing something to get value for him (even if the best value is to keep him).

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the Saints already gave Brees an extension. Same with Bortles in Jax.

If the Broncos miss out on Cousins which they should, my guess is they trade for Tyrod Taylor or sign Bradford. Just a guess. And maybe a bad guess.

The Bills have made it so clear they dont trust Taylor, I just see the Bills doing something to get value for him (even if the best value is to keep him).
Valid points all around, for sure. I may very well have missed the Brees signing..regardless he's staying around. Can easily see Bradford instead of Bridgewater, and/or the Thai Stick deal. They'll definitely do something there, but I just don't see Cousins as a fit, or a realistic option.

As for Bortles extension, I'm not entirely sold that its a true commitment to him. A McCown or Bradford or Bridgewater on board to push him might not be a bad idea

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Saints are all in to win today, and Brees is their guy for the next 2 years.

They are on the short list of super Bowl favorites, no need to get silly and change QBs now.

They will draft a Brees replacement, either this year or next, and they will continue to hit their draft picks out of the park for the foreseeable future. Saints will be the new Patriots. You heard it here first.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about this one for quite awhile. And with this year actually having some impact names at QB, it definitely seems to be all the buzz, so I thought I'd share my thoughts, see what kind of debate we can fire up.
Quick Side note- Nick Foles isn't going anywhere. Not until Wentz is %100, and that sure seems like it'll be into the season at this point, and no one is trading anything substantial for a 30 something journeyman system QB, not to mention Philly would be ridiculous to dela him for anything less than a fortune (that they won't get)

Might as well hit the big dog first-

Kirk Cousins- I've switched my prediction since early early on. I no longer feel ARZ will be in the hunt, let alone where he actually ends up. To me, there are only two teams seriously in the running, with a third who probably thinks they are, but are simply being used for leverage. It's either going to be NYJets, or the Vikes, sorry Denver, you don't have the money, the team around him (or won't once you gut it to get him), nor the coaches/stability (Vance is teetering towards unemployment) to beat out the competition. My money is now on the Vikes. They have the cap room to make the contract work, and with the news that they aren't pushing to toll Brdigewaters' contract, nor franchising Keenum, they're setting up to make a serious run. And they've always been the preferred destination if his desire is truly to win, not solely driven by money. Now should the Jets make good on that rumor of the fully guaranteed contract and the 60 large up front..than welcome to the big apple Kirk.

Drew Brees- lets not get silly, he'll be a Saint till he's done, or refuses to quit at 45, than maybe a Brown

Kase Keenum- Being 30, Keenum, who doesn't rely on a big arm to get the job done, likely has a good five years left at current level, meaning, he's a bit more than a bridge guy, yet not the long term solution. I personally don't feel he's all that great and, like Foles, was maximized by the coaches as to what he could do, and rarely was asked to do anything out of the ordinary. Hell, the first few games he started in place of Bradford, there were calls for Kyle Slotter to take over. But h'es got some nice intangibles, good experience, and can do enough for a good team to get by. Sounds like a perfect fit for ARZ, who isn't necessarily in position to draft a franchise QB this year, unless one falls.

AJ McCarron - I truly think this is a done deal to to the Browns, there's no way anyone would offer him more, and all he truly wants is a moment to prove he's good enough to start, and get paid like it, in this league.

Here's where it gets trickier-

Bradford, McCown, Bridgewater, I"ll even toss Cutler in there.

One of these guys will end up in Denver, my money is on Bridgewater atm, with McCown a close second, no way they touch Cutler. I honestly don't have a clue as to the rest. Buffalo and Jacksonville still seem like logical landing spots for veteran players that can either push Tyrod/Bortles, or maybe even push them out the door.

The others? if they end up mattering, it'll be some out of the blue shock due to injury.
The Browns will probably use one of their first rounders on a QB. That makes me think they will just acquire a stop gap to start in front of him to start the season. Someone like Keenum, McCown, or Cutler.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well who do you think plays QB for the Jets?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns will probably use one of their first rounders on a QB. That makes me think they will just acquire a stop gap to start in front of him to start the season. Someone like Keenum, McCown, or Cutler.
I agree with Treff that A.J. McCarron finds his way to Cleveland.

If free agency goes as some seem to think with Cousins going to MIN, I think the Jets resign McCown.

As far as Cutler, he had his best chance to do well being reunited with Adam Gase and the result was not much different. If I were Jay, I'd contact Fox to see if that job in the broadcast booth is still on the table.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if they can't get Cousins, I'm guessing McCown, but any of Bridgewater, Bradford, even Cutler are all realistic, uninspiring options. I'm thinking the real answer is likely, "some rookie"

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like McCown to Broncos thought if the Jets don't secure him for another season, should keep DT useful for fantasy, defense isn't getting any better (from my viewpoint), could be lots of passing attempts there.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Kelly

Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Kelly Holcomb, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor.

After Jimbo, the only two QB's that lead the Bills to the playoffs, are the only two they didn't want/give a chance.

How am I a Bills fan still?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Kelly

Todd Collins, Alex Van Pelt, Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, Kelly Holcomb, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor.

After Jimbo, the only two QB's that lead the Bills to the playoffs, are the only two they didn't want/give a chance.

They never made the playoffs under Bledsoe? Hmm..I just assumed they had. Well....at least they're not the Brown's? You can hang your hat on that, right?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They never made the playoffs under Bledsoe? Hmm..I just assumed they had. Well....at least they're not the Brown's? You can hang your hat on that, right?

Bledsoe had a good half year. People are unaware of that because of his name recognition. He was actually terrible the majority of the time. Cement feet in the pocket.

'We're not the Browns' is not very inspiring.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea his time as a Cowboy was really eye opening to just how much of a statue he was. Great mind, great arm, but obviously lacking something important

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Kelly

You can follow my lead.

I am personally boycotting the Redskins until Bruce Allen is gone. My hope is that Alex Smith busts and Cousins leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl to expedite his firing.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can follow my lead.

I am personally boycotting the Redskins until Bruce Allen is gone. My hope is that Alex Smith busts and Cousins leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl to expedite his firing.

Yeah. I don't get the Skins' problem with Cousins.

Not sure what I'll do if (when) the Bills move on from Taylor.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I don't get the Skins' problem with Cousins.

Not sure what I'll do if (when) the Bills move on from Taylor.
TKO: have you considered the possibility that the Bills make a play for Cousins?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles isn't going anywhere?

Interesting since Philly brass has admitted they are open to listening to offers for Foles.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jets end up with Cousins.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brees is and will be better than KC ever can be.