• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Week - 2018

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be some good defensemen moving Monday from the sounds of things. I think Mcdonagh goes to Toronto and Karlsson goes to Tampa.

Given the (anticipated) price and injury risk with Karlsson, I am good with this. :thumb:

But as was pointed out to me earlier in the TOR situation, not sure how TBL makes the cap work. Esp if Ryan is included. Capfriendly says they are 11.7M under for next year, and Namestnikov is RFA.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the (anticipated) price and injury risk with Karlsson, I am good with this. :thumb:

But as was pointed out to me earlier in the TOR situation, not sure how TBL makes the cap work. Esp if Ryan is included. Capfriendly says they are 11.7M under for next year, and Namestnikov is RFA.
Two things with TB I’ve been led to understand in media this week:

1) It’s generally accepted there that they’ll be moving Namestnikov for assets after this season. Beyond whatever they may pick up at this deadline gotta keep in mind that Kucherov’s getting paid after next season and Vasilivskiy the season after (as are Gourde and Point).

2) Karlsson would likely only be a 2 playoff rental.

With that said, I think there’s lots that Yzerman could wind up doing to re-sign him. Girardi and Coburn can both be bought out or moved to AZ at some point. Callahan isn’t so terrible in a buyout scenario either. Palat and Johnson would be attractive in trade to quite a few teams. He can create a lot of cap space after next season if he wants to.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things with TB I’ve been led to understand in media this week:

1) It’s generally accepted there that they’ll be moving Namestnikov for assets after this season. Beyond whatever they may pick up at this deadline gotta keep in mind that Kucherov’s getting paid after next season and Vasilivskiy the season after (as are Gourde and Point).

2) Karlsson would likely only be a 2 playoff rental.

With that said, I think there’s lots that Yzerman could wind up doing to re-sign him. Girardi and Coburn can both be bought out or moved to AZ at some point. Callahan isn’t so terrible in a buyout scenario either. Palat and Johnson would be attractive in trade to quite a few teams. He can create a lot of cap space after next season if he wants to.

Interesting info. Thanks.

As for making cap space, sure, but if he does all that he is left with Stammer, Hedman, Vasilevesky and "Karlsson". They have 2 D signed for 2019. Admittedly, I know nothing about their prospects, so perhaps they can legitimately expect a good number of decent players currently in juniors/AHL :noidea:

If it were the Leafs I would not want to see them put the team in this position for a 2 year rental. Would adding Karlsson make them a prohibitive favo(u)rite? Not so sure about that.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman suggesting Glendenning for Leivo plus a pick.

(Much like my Tanev question from a couple weeks ago) HUH???

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting info. Thanks.

As for making cap space, sure, but if he does all that he is left with Stammer, Hedman, Vasilevesky and "Karlsson". They have 2 D signed for 2019. Admittedly, I know nothing about their prospects, so perhaps they can legitimately expect a good number of decent players currently in juniors/AHL :noidea:

If it were the Leafs I would not want to see them put the team in this position for a 2 year rental. Would adding Karlsson make them a prohibitive favo(u)rite? Not so sure about that.
They'd have Sergachev too, unless of course he's moved for Karlsson (which I assume at least one of him or Point would be). But yeah, they'd have a lot of defence-building to do but if they're doing so after making two Cup runs and maybe even winning one it's worth it no? Also assuming they'd keep Kucherov around.

They also have one of, if not the best farm system in the NHL right now - Foote, Cirelli, Raddysh, Howden and Cernak all look like future NHLers. Even if they give some of those guys up to the Sens in a Karlsson trade there will be plenty left to fill in the gaps over the next few years plus they have all their picks in upcoming drafts.

Not to say that Yzerman hasn’t made a few head-scratching mistakes over the years (Callahan, Girardi, long-term extensions for Johnson and Palat while bridging Kucherov, holding onto Bishop for too long) but he built a system and a team that combined are stronger than what the Leafs have and did so while being competitive pretty much the entire time he did so. Most teams in the league are envious of what’s going on there.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stuff is happening

Alex Edler is no longer practicing pp with the canucks ... no first unit or 2nd unit :think:

He was on record saying he wouldnt waive his no trade but maybe he has changed his mind ... Friedman says he may have with Tbay as a possible suitor

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cesspool saying Tanev may still be moved with the broken leg ... nothing like selling high Jimbo :L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stuff is happening

Alex Edler is no longer practicing pp with the canucks ... no first unit or 2nd unit :think:

He was on record saying he wouldnt waive his no trade but maybe he has changed his mind ... Friedman says he may have with Tbay as a possible suitor
Boston just cleared a roster spot (traded Vatrano to FLA) and NYR just called up a forward.

Stuff happening indeed.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanev and Edler for Johnson. Sold.
200.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a trade, but a key signing that could have impact down the road.