• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top FBS Defenses for now

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State - 10 games / 551 plays (55 per game) / 2666 yards / 4.8 yards per play
Ole Miss - 10 games / 789 plays (79 per game) / 3740 yards / 4.74 yards per play

One is top ten and the other isn't top fifty.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Overall talent maybe? :lol: Have you seen App St's schedule? At least NC St and Wiscy beat major conference teams. You saying that mid-majors have the talent that the majors do?

Comparing a mid-major to the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, PAC is dumb. I'll keep the majors all in there and call it what it is.. Rankings man. I'm not going to get all bent out of shape for rankings in November.

They will work themselves out.

You should respond to what I type. Not just type a lot of irrelevant information. I never compared the schedule of Appalachian St. to the schedule of North Carolina States. Nor did I compare their overall level of talent.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State - 10 games / 551 plays (55 per game) / 2666 yards / 4.8 yards per play
Ole Miss - 10 games / 789 plays (79 per game) / 3740 yards / 4.74 yards per play

One is top ten and the other isn't top fifty.

I believe we were just talking about opponents, but by all means prove whatever point you want. I didn't say NC St was good. :L I said both teams have beaten bad teams.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should respond to what I type. Not just type a lot of irrelevant information. I never compared the schedule of Appalachian St. to the schedule of North Carolina States. Nor did I compare their overall level of talent.

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Don't you have a squirrel to go chase ?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Don't you have a squirrel to go chase ?

I was not talking about opponents. I said, if you're smart enough to use common sense to eliminate App. St. why can you not also use common sense to eliminate other teams from this list? You were the one that assumed I was comparing the two teams and their opponents.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I feel like when i'm talking to UNCfan

samuel L and goat.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not talking about opponents. I said, if you're smart enough to use common sense to eliminate App. St. why can you not also use common sense to eliminate other teams from this list? You were the one that assumed I was comparing the two teams and their opponents.

So let me try and understand man.. Eliminate App St = eliminate NC St? I can see throwing out Boise maybe and San Diego St. Definitely Air force. They just don't play the same level of competition as the others.

ACC, SEC, Big 10, Pac 12 all the majors. IMO the talent in these leagues is far better than the Sun Belt and WAC especially on defense. So maybe don't throw them out, but put an asterisk next to their ass.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me try and understand man.. Eliminate App St = eliminate NC St? I can see throwing out Boise maybe and San Diego St. Definitely Air force. They just don't play the same level of competition as the others.

ACC, SEC, Big 10, Pac 12 all the majors. IMO the talent in these leagues is far better than the Sun Belt and WAC especially on defense. So maybe don't throw them out, but put an asterisk next to their ass.

Others = majors on this list. Of course some teams defenses are on the field longer, some schedules are tougher.. Said that about 1-2 pages ago.

Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

If you understand all of the bold, then why do you still think these rankings are a good baseline with the exception of the group of five teams?

Clearly you understand the issues with the rankings.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois just plays in a conference that cannot score TDs. Northwestern can barely throw it down field. It's baaad

Not really relevant in the standings. S&P compares relative performance in each game. Basically with Team A averages 500 yards of offense and Team B holds them to 400 that is a good performance. If Team C averages 250 yards and Team D gives up 280, that is a bad performance. Obviously more complicated than that, but that is the gist.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you understand all of the bold, then why do you still think these rankings are a good baseline with the exception of the group of five teams?

Clearly you understand the issues with the rankings.

All rankings have some hidden grey area. But would you agree that BAMA, Michigan, Clemson all have good defenses?

Bottom line for me is I look at this list when I am betting on games the past 5-6 years. I have to take into account teams' schedule. I look at who they've played, who they've beaten, where they played at, etc.

I'm not a rankings guy, but they are the closest thing we have to the truth. Some are wrong some are close. I never said these rankings are good. You have mis-interupted much of what I have said or assumed it wrongly.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really relevant in the standings. S&P compares relative performance in each game. Basically with Team A averages 500 yards of offense and Team B holds them to 400 that is a good performance. If Team C averages 250 yards and Team D gives up 280, that is a bad performance. Obviously more complicated than that, but that is the gist.

Yeah some rankings I pay no attention to at all. SOS is one. How they base that is mostly off of loses IMO. I hate the RPI in basketball. Absolutely pointless.

I look at these rankings a bit, schedule, and then MY EYE test! :D But like I said, my Saturdays are football/bball when it comes fall/winter. My lady is like :wtf2:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have definitely beat the Iowa dead horse. I actually was impressed how they handled Indiana last week, but all I have to go by on Indiana is that they caught OSU sleeping for about 3 quarters.

I watch a lot of football man. Bball too. Can't believe we have 3 weeks left of college football, but bball will be on soon. :thumb:
Tonight! I'm jacked

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda shocked Michigan is still that high after the State game.