• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Coaches Most Likely to Win Their First Title

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yoy have said nobody accomplished anything unless you get a NC. I would say taking over a program that went 3-9 and winning 4, 10,11, and 10 over 4 years is accomplishing a shot load.

No I haven’t, but winning an NC doesn’t hurt. But I’m not going to pretend that not winning games at a G5 level is the same thing as winning games in a P5 conference.

I think brown has load of potential, but at this point and time I don’t think he is the better coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I haven’t, but winning an NC doesn’t hurt. But I’m not going to pretend that not winning games at a G5 level is the same thing as winning games in a P5 conference.

I think brown has load of potential, but at this point and time I don’t think he is the better coach.

We shall see the results. Brown and Miles took over disasters, so it will play out before our eyes. I am not going to pretend it is easier to coach with a talent advantage in 90% of the games. That number is low for Saban

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know the answer to this question. How did he do w/o the recruiting machine and the cards in his favor at MSU?
Have you actually looked at what he did not only at MSU (which had recruiting sanctions when he took over because of the prior HC), but also Toledo? Did you not see what LSU was before he got there? He had as many double digit win seasons in his first 4 seasons at LSU as the program had in the previous 37 seasons.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you actually looked at what he did not only at MSU (which had recruiting sanctions when he took over because of the prior HC), but also Toledo? Did you not see what LSU was before he got there? He had as many double digit win seasons in his first 4 seasons at LSU as the program had in the previous 37 seasons.
LSU always had talent.. coaching sucked, but they always had talent.. much more than Toledo and michigan st

And he knew he got as much as he could at East Lansing.. He had to head south

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now do Jimbo

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He came to LSU at a time when Bama was on sanctions and a disaster. That was the break that LSU needed. That said his record at the other schools mirrors what many good coaches without NC have done. I don’t think Saban is a bad coach. I am merely pointing out that coaching jobs have ceilings. Winning at MSU is just harder to do than winning at OSU. I would say the easiest coaching jobs in football are at the blue bloods. They can be a bitch to turn around, but once you get success they are almost on cruise control. It’s the reason I think using NCs is a pretty meaningless barometer. You have to consider the resources coaches have

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom is straightening out the roster in Austin. The 2020 roster is the most complete since the 2009 season.

Where is the line at which a team below it doesn't really have the depth of talent needed for a natty?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Tech can get all the studs that play on 6 man football in the panhandle.. plus Northeast NM?!? Not sure how Tech isn't a juggernaut
upload_2020-6-10_10-27-25.png

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is the line at which a team below it doesn't really have the depth of talent needed for a natty?

impossible to know, but a good sign that you have achieved a respectable roster is when you don’t have to play true freshmen

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give me some time.. that account dug up the percentage of bluechip avg CFP champions had

Edit found this from 247;
  • Alabama won it all in 2017 with an incredible 80 percent mark.
  • Clemson took home the title in 2016 after signing 52 percent blue chips in the 2013-16 classes.
  • In 2015, Alabama had a 77 percent mark.
  • In 2014, it was Ohio State at 68.
  • In 2013, Florida State was at 53.
  • In 2012, Alabama was at 71

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
give me some time.. that account dug up the percentage of bluechip avg CFP champions had

the blue chip thing can be misleading. You can have great freshmen and soph classes that mask the mediocre talent in upper classmen. You can also have the bear minimum of a bunch of low 4 stars, which to me isn’t much better than a roster of high 3 stars. It’s a nice guide, but it has some holes

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came to LSU at a time when Bama was on sanctions and a disaster. That was the break that LSU needed. That said his record at the other schools mirrors what many good coaches without NC have done. I don’t think Saban is a bad coach. I am merely pointing out that coaching jobs have ceilings. Winning at MSU is just harder to do than winning at OSU. I would say the easiest coaching jobs in football are at the blue bloods. They can be a bitch to turn around, but once you get success they are almost on cruise control. It’s the reason I think using NCs is a pretty meaningless barometer. You have to consider the resources coaches have
LSU was not a blueblood when he got there though. Between 1950-1999, LSU had the 25th best winning percentage in college football, and in over 100 years of football pre-Saban, they had five seasons with double digit wins and 1 NC. Then he turned them into a perennial power. It's not like he took over Nebraska or Notre Dame.

Right now, it's definitely harder to win at MSU than LSU. However, between 1950-1999, right before Saban got to LSU, there wasn't a huge difference between those two schools in terms of wins and winning percentage. Hell, LSU was behind schools like Washington, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Arizona State during that timeframe, and I wouldn't call them blue bloods either.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is just a stupid way to judge coaches. Apparently you are the only one that thinks Chizik is better than Pat Dye as a coach. Saying Les Miles is the best coach in the Big 12 is the dumbest thing I have ever seen typed on this site.

Well. since you're the only one who has typed it....if the shoe fits.

As far as I can tell you are responsible for the two dumbest things I've seen typed about Les Miles on here, that he is the 2nd to worst coach in the B12 and that he is the best. Both takes are pretty dumb.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU was not a blueblood when he got there though. Between 1950-1999, LSU had the 25th best winning percentage in college football, and in over 100 years of football pre-Saban, they had five seasons with double digit wins and 1 NC. Then he turned them into a perennial power. It's not like he took over Nebraska or Notre Dame.

Right now, it's definitely harder to win at MSU than LSU. However, between 1950-1999, right before Saban got to LSU, there wasn't a huge difference between those two schools in terms of wins and winning percentage. Hell, LSU was behind schools like Washington, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Arizona State during that timeframe, and I wouldn't call them blue bloods either.
So Saban turned them into a blueblood by winning double digit games twice in 4 seasons and winning one NC?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that place was always mismanaged. Talent in the state is just amazing. Bama losing its headlock on the SEC certainly helped. Again I never said he was a bad coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Saban turned them into a blueblood by winning double digit games twice in 4 seasons and winning one NC?
Before Saban, they hadn't won an outright conference title since 1986. He took them to five straight bowl games (2000-2005). They had only been to three bowl games over the previous 12 years.

They won 54 games combined over the decade before Saban got there. In five years under Saban, they won 48.

So, I'd say it's pretty ignorant to think he didn't get them back on the map. He ushered in their most dominant era in program history by leaps and bounds.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that place was always mismanaged. Talent in the state is just amazing. Bama losing its headlock on the SEC certainly helped. Again I never said he was a bad coach.
Just because the talent is there, it doesn't mean it's easy to turn around a completely dysfunctional program. There is a ton of talent in the DC/VA area, yet Maryland and Virginia are nowhere near being national powers. It takes an elite coach to build an elite program.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as I can tell you are responsible for the two dumbest things I've seen typed about Les Miles on here, that he is the 2nd to worst coach in the B12 and that he is the best. Both takes are pretty dumb.

I take that as a compliment considering the source. I would love to know where you rank him amongst the ten.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because the talent is there, it doesn't mean it's easy to turn around a completely dysfunctional program. There is a ton of talent in the DC/VA area, yet Maryland and Virginia are nowhere near being national powers. It takes an elite coach to build an elite program.

massive difference. Virginia doesn’t care about sports anywhere near the same level. Both schools have more interest in winning lacrosse championships. When people start saying the “cavalier mafia” like they do with the “Cajun Mafia” and I will consider the analogy. It’s “Death Valley” vs WTF are the names of their stadiums. Seems you are completely ignore the obvious cultural differences of the administrations and fans