• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Coaches Most Likely to Win Their First Title

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see the results. Brown and Miles took over disasters, so it will play out before our eyes. I am not going to pretend it is easier to coach with a talent advantage in 90% of the games. That number is low for Saban

I have no doubts brown will surpass Miles. (Hope it’s at WVU and not Kentucky) I just think right now it’s Miles just for what he’s done. But it’s just m opinion.

Ohh I have no argument on the saban Talent comment. But he is the one (along with his assistants) that is pulling in the talent and utilizing it excellent.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somwhere in the Matt Campbell/Tom Herman range... 4, 5, 6. Ahead of the folks that haven't done fuck all yet.

If I were a Texas fan, and last season I needed a last second field goal to win at home 50-48, I don't know if I would be sleeping on Les Miles and the Jayhawks this year.

he isn’t close to Campbell. I will sleep on him. Great motivator, but that is the end of his abilities

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is the result of skill and opportunity meeting. Rabid fan base looking for better results while the regional power is cycling through Dubose, Franchione, and Shula coaching disasters.

and who knows where LSU would have been if Arnsparger didn’t walk away, because of AD scandals (mostly in Basketball). He had the same winning percentage as Saban.

Tennessee was one year removed from winning the title, UF was 3 years removed and both were top 5/10 programs when he got there. Yeah Alabama sucked during his LSU tenure, but the overall SEC didn't. During the end of his run at LSU, Richt had UGA into a top 5/10 program. He still had to deal with all those programs, and not to mention Auburn went undefeated his last year there.

And yeah who knows, but he did leave and they sucked for decade after.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubts brown will surpass Miles. (Hope it’s at WVU and not Kentucky) I just think right now it’s Miles just for what he’s done. But it’s just m opinion.

Ohh I have no argument on the saban Talent comment. But he is the one (along with his assistants) that is pulling in the talent and utilizing it excellent.

I judge coaching ability by a coaches ability to get his team to play to their talent ceiling. It is why I will probably die thinking Bill Snyder was the best coach I have ever seen.

I could be moved to say administrative ability for College coaches, because that’s is a major part of a blue blood coaches job

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will always hate Mack for being petty on the way out of Austin and costing us Saban

Jimmy Sexton was more interested in the Texas Job than anyone in the Saban household.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee was one year removed from winning the title, UF was 3 years removed and both were top 5/10 programs when he got there. Yeah Alabama sucked during his LSU tenure, but the overall SEC didn't. During the end of his run at LSU, Richt had UGA into a top 5/10 program. He still had to deal with all those programs, and not to mention Auburn went undefeated his last year there.

And yeah who knows, but he did leave and they sucked for decade after.

the west was really down. That was a time when the East was considered far and away the class of the league. Probably a few posters on gear that can’t even imagine such a thing

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
massive difference. Virginia doesn’t care about sports anywhere near the same level. Both schools have more interest in winning lacrosse championships. When people start saying the “cavalier mafia” like they do with the “Cajun Mafia” and I will consider the analogy. It’s “Death Valley” vs WTF are the names of their stadiums. Seems you are completely ignore the obvious cultural differences of the administrations and fans
I get what you're saying, it was moreso illustrating the point that if your coach isn't elite, you're not going to have an elite team. You mention the culture in Louisiana, but why were they so mediocre for so long? How did they not find a competent HC in all those years if it was so important?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep 2 double digit win seasons in 5 years definitely sounds like he made a blueblood program.

Man you cannot compare the two.. most of the talent in VA is held in the northern DMV area and in Hampton rds. There are two P5 schools in VaTech and UVA. There is no state pride with these kids from VA the way it is at LSU..who by the way ARE THE ONLY P5 team in it's state. Not to mention Houston is just a stone's throw away.
I mean, it's foolish to say Saban didn't put LSU back on the map. It's not a coincidence that the program massively shifted when he got there and has continued being a perennial top team in the nation. They had six sub-.500 years in the 90s. Then Saban came and completely built the program up and they haven't been anywhere close to sub-.500 since.

Again, I was illustrating that even though you're in a talent rich area, it doesn't mean you're going to have an elite program just because of proximity. Back when Va Tech was a national power, they recruited the area well. Then as Beamer got older, they fell off when you saw other teams start coming in and taking the talent. Now you have teams like OSU and michigan building pipelines into the area and taking all the elite talent rather than seeing it stay there.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, it was moreso illustrating the point that if your coach isn't elite, you're not going to have an elite team. You mention the culture in Louisiana, but why were they so mediocre for so long? How did they not find a competent HC in all those years if it was so important?

I mentioned Arnsperger. He had it rolling and walked away. They went on a disaster run with the Athletic department in shambles and poor hires. Most schools that rise up are a result of a coach and opportunity presenting itself. LSU has Bama fall apart. Briles came along at the low pt of Texas football. FSU/Miami were more based on population growth. Oregon rose as Washington and USC fell off a cliff. You need the coach and the opportunity. Saban vs OSU and Michigan running around historical levels doesn’t produce great results. Dantonio with Michigan in shambles produces one of the best coaching stints in MSU history

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I judge coaching ability by a coaches ability to get his team to play to their talent ceiling. It is why I will probably die thinking Bill Snyder was the best coach I have ever seen.

I could be moved to say administrative ability for College coaches, because that’s is a major part of a blue blood coaches job

I have no problem with that. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a top 5 coach for what he’s done in his situation. I just would like to see brown do it at the P5 level.

It is, and saban does it well.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the west was really down. That was a time when the East was considered far and away the class of the league. Probably a few posters on gear that can’t even imagine such a thing

It was down given today's standards, but it was still, overall a good division. I would agree the East was better, but you're still competing with them for the same kids. LSU wasn't even a top 5 SEC program when he got there.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it's foolish to say Saban didn't put LSU back on the map. It's not a coincidence that the program massively shifted when he got there and has continued being a perennial top team in the nation. They had six sub-.500 years in the 90s. Then Saban came and completely built the program up and they haven't been anywhere close to sub-.500 since.

Again, I was illustrating that even though you're in a talent rich area, it doesn't mean you're going to have an elite program just because of proximity. Back when Va Tech was a national power, they recruited the area well. Then as Beamer got older, they fell off when you saw other teams start coming in and taking the talent. Now you have teams like OSU and michigan building pipelines into the area and taking all the elite talent rather than seeing it stay there.
Which is why I always felt that Tulane, yes Tulane in the Big 12 would be a great fit being located in Nawlins. I too, feel that GaTech could be a school, with the right coach, that could compete at a high level in the ACC. If they could somehow admit more women, it would be a great sell being in Atlanta and all.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I always felt that Tulane, yes Tulane in the Big 12 would be a great fit being located in Nawlins. I too, feel that GaTech could be a school, with the right coach, that could compete at a high level in the ACC. If they could somehow admit more women, it would be a great sell being in Atlanta and all.
Ga Tech has a bit of an issue since they are an elite academic institution, but you're right. They could be beastly with the right coach.

Tulane would've been interesting. Outside of 1998, they've never been a great team, but they've had some decent seasons. LSU still has a stronger history though, so they'd still get the big-time recruits. It's no different than if the Big 12 went after Cincinnati. They'd be a good team, and could probably compete with most of the Big 12, but they'd never get the type of recruits OSU gets in Ohio and the general region.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ga Tech has a bit of an issue since they are an elite academic institution, but you're right. They could be beastly with the right coach.

Tulane would've been interesting. Outside of 1998, they've never been a great team, but they've had some decent seasons. LSU still has a stronger history though, so they'd still get the big-time recruits. It's no different than if the Big 12 went after Cincinnati. They'd be a good team, and could probably compete with most of the Big 12, but they'd never get the type of recruits OSU gets in Ohio and the general region.

Tulane does not have a culture to support a D1 football program. It’s a big commitment. Location is just 1 factor in building a Blue Blood. Imagine what a school like UNC could be if they had a rabid fan base like LSU, OSU, or Bama. You generally need boosters donating millions of dollars and the ability to fill stadiums for consistent success. More importantly that happens even in the down years at blue blood programs

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would have Saban made a dynasty at Michigan St had he stayed?
I think he would have. Not Alabama like, but he would have won a NC or two and be a regular power in the B1G and Nationally. His 1999 team was incredible and built like he liked. I saw them in person @ Northwestern that season and was very, very impressed. He was on his way to greatness.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned Arnsperger. He had it rolling and walked away. They went on a disaster run with the Athletic department in shambles and poor hires. Most schools that rise up are a result of a coach and opportunity presenting itself. LSU has Bama fall apart. Briles came along at the low pt of Texas football. FSU/Miami were more based on population growth. Oregon rose as Washington and USC fell off a cliff. You need the coach and the opportunity. Saban vs OSU and Michigan running around historical levels doesn’t produce great results. Dantonio with Michigan in shambles produces one of the best coaching stints in MSU history

Arnsparger's best season was 9-2-1, I don't know if I would call that rolling. He never lost to Alabama, I'll give him that, but we weren't very good and he wasn't blowing us away. Gerry DiNardo won as many games in his first 3 season at LSU, but nobody is pimping him out, guess he should have walked away.

A great coach, under the right circumstances can make the transition to an elite coach, a good coach cannot. There are only a double handful of schools where Saban could do what he has done at Alabama. By the same token, I think the list of coaches that could have potentially done what Saban did at Alabama is an even smaller list.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arnsparger's best season was 9-2-1, I don't know if I would call that rolling. He never lost to Alabama, I'll give him that, but we weren't very good and he wasn't blowing us away. Gerry DiNardo won as many games in his first 3 season at LSU, but nobody is pimping him out, guess he should have walked away.

A great coach, under the right circumstances can make the transition to an elite coach, a good coach cannot. There are only a double handful of schools where Saban could do what he has done at Alabama. By the same token, I think the list of coaches that could have potentially done what Saban did at Alabama is an even smaller list.

because arnsberger won at 75% clip and won LSU’s first SEC title in ~15 years. Program was certainly going in the right direction and then he went to NFL to be a DC. Side note, it was an ugly performance for his defense in the Super Bowl. Hard to know now where the program would have been if he didn’t leave. DiNardo did well early and fell apart when his hand prints were all over the program.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would have Saban made a dynasty at Michigan St had he stayed?
200.gif

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do too. I greatly admire the ones that can win with the deck stacked against them. Which is probably why I'm an insufferable Miner fan!

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do too. I greatly admire the ones that can win with the deck stacked against them. Which is probably why I'm an insufferable Miner fan!
I thought Bob Stull was a good coach at UTEP. Then, he went to Mizzou and flopped. Should have stayed in El Paso and built a WAC power!