• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Looking ahead to the Draft thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're done this year before the playoffs even start, it's time to take a look at this upcoming draft. Idk where to start, but I think taking a QB of the future would be smart.

But... I will say hell of a season. 11 wins is what I predicted and we pulled it off despite the heavy blows of injuries. Let's get healthy and kick some ass next year, it wasn't meant to be. :suds: Go Cards!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we took our QB of the future last draft? lol

Cards need to ace another draft. Last year was not nearly as good as the first draft Steve K nailed. Drafting Logan Thomas period was a pathetic waste of time.

Who hits FA next season?

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. Thomas was the QB of the future. It's so hit or miss with middle to late round QB'S. We need a solid edge rusher first.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Az fans:L

Carolina is very beatable when facing elite defenses. Az put up 17 on the road to SF yesterday.
You folks keep bleating the woe is me mantra.
Your team has a real chance this week.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our elite defense seems to have forgotten basic tackling skills. Cam is arguably more dangerous than RW and Crapernick because he is a more legit passing threat and can take off.

I still think they lose, but it wouldn't shock me if they pulled out a close one. That's the end of the road though.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Az fans:L

Carolina is very beatable when facing elite defenses. Az put up 17 on the road to SF yesterday.
You folks keep bleating the woe is me mantra.
Your team has a real chance this week.

Easy to say when you are starting to get all your premiere players back and rolling into the playoffs as arguably the hottest team. You clearly did not watch our "elite" defense get touched for about a 1000 yards the last two games. The defense has either worn down due to carrying the offense or a lack of depth. They have completely lost all sense of the fundamentals. No woe is us, just practical observations. I am a fanboy but I call it like I see it!

On a different note, I am much more excited to see Carolina rather than Atlanta. I think we have a shot against the panthers if we can contain Newton. The defense needs to demonstrate why they have been proclaimed as a top 5-10 team.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are in my opinion, the priorities for the draft.

1 -Pass rushing 3-4 OLB.
2 -A big CB that can play opposite PP when Cromartie leaves in FA.
3 -Interior O-lineman.
4 -A big RB to compliment AE, Williams, & Taylor.

I don't see the need to waste a draft pick in this draft on another weak class of QB(s). We have Palmer for 3 more years & he has proven that he can play at close to a top 10 level. Thomas still needs to have time to learn & grow. And QB right now isn't a priority.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 -Pass rushing 3-4 OLB.
3 -Interior O-lineman.

I don't see the need to waste a draft pick in this draft on another weak class of QB(s). We have Palmer for 3 more years & he has proven that he can play at close to a top 10 level. Thomas still needs to have time to learn & grow. And QB right now isn't a priority.

I agree with not taking a QB this year, the ones worth taking in the draft are likely gone long before the Cards pick. I do think it might be time to start looking for Dockett's replacement. He's no spring chicken and with him coming back from injury they can't be sure if he will be the same player next season. Either way, I think he has 2-3 more years max and having a replacement on the team waiting to step in when he retires would be nice. I think taking a flyer at a couple in the mid-late rounds might not be a bad move.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the players most often mentioned in the latest mocks after the season ended as a possible Cardinals 1st round pick.

-Shilique Calhoun, DE/3-4 OLB, Michigan State
-Alvin Dupree, DE/3-4 OLB, Kentucky
-Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
-Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington

At this point without knowing how they perform & their measurables leading up to the draft, I would be happy with any of these players. But I doubt if either Beasley or Shaq will be there in the late 20s for the Cardinals to pick one of them.

I have also seen a few mocks with the cardinals selecting RB Melvin Gordon or a OG. I seriously doubt the Cards would select a RB in the first round considering their needs on defense. And as good as Gordon is, he isn't the big RB type that the Cardinals need. I am still pissed the Bengals took Hill before we had a chance to draft him in the last draft.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the players most often mentioned in the latest mocks after the season ended as a possible Cardinals 1st round pick.

-Shilique Calhoun, DE/3-4 OLB, Michigan State
-Alvin Dupree, DE/3-4 OLB, Kentucky
-Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
-Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington

At this point without knowing how they perform & their measurables leading up to the draft, I would be happy with any of these players. But I doubt if either Beasley or Shaq will be there in the late 20s for the Cardinals to pick one of them.

I have also seen a few mocks with the cardinals selecting RB Melvin Gordon or a OG. I seriously doubt the Cards would select a RB in the first round considering their needs on defense. And as good as Gordon is, he isn't the big RB type that the Cardinals need. I am still pissed the Bengals took Hill before we had a chance to draft him in the last draft.

Thompson and Beasley will definitely be gone.

Hill was the guy I wanted in last years draft. He was just a great combination of speed and power.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 -Pass rushing 3-4 OLB.
3 -Interior O-lineman.

Since the first wave of free agency & the combine is over, & with the draft is about a month away, let's take a look at potential prospects for the Cardinals at 25.

Here is the order I have them ranked:
Shane Ray, DE, Missouri
Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky
Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

At least 3 of those guys should be there when the Cardinals draft.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree no need to waste a pick trying to find a gem of a QB in later rounds. Not the draft for it and neither was last year's, but we tried anyways and now we have obvious NFL bust Logan Thomas taking up a roster spot for years to come.

Palmer is old and I don't see him having 3 more years in him. He's fragile and seems a non-contact injury from another trip to IR at any time. I like Stanton as a backup. Last year was freaky and the Gods would be cruel to have the Cards need a 3rd or 4th QB to lead the charge...but they may want to seriously consider the position more seriously this year. (get rid of Lindley and Thomas)

Still hearing rumors they may try to trade their first round pick to Vikings for AP, have him restructure, and go for the gold.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the first wave of free agency & the combine is over, & with the draft is about a month away, let's take a look at potential prospects for the Cardinals at 25.

Here is the order I have them ranked:
Shane Ray, DE, Missouri
Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky
Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

At least 3 of those guys should be there when the Cardinals draft.

I expect ray and Dupree to be long gone and quite possibly Gordon. I expect the pick to be a linebacker if a decent one is still available or one of the two corners you mentioned.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First pick and they go OT, it was definitely a position they needed an upgrade at, but they guy they took was and left side guy, I hope he can make the transfer to the right side I think the left side is pretty much on lock down right now. If he can beat out Massie in camp I'll be happy.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it might be a solid pick. Only time will tell. They have to go Defense in the next few rounds and try to steal a RB later.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After moving back & picking up another 5th round pick, the Cardinals Selected Markus Golden/LB/Missouri. I like this pick. A solid guy who will play OLB.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to think of David Johnson just yet, but he's sure built like a machine. Should be interesting.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I'm happy with the picks the FO made. I would have liked to see a DB picked, but I guess the coaches think what the have in house already will suffice. I think the majority of them will make the 53 man roster and at least 2 will be first day starters.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give our draft a B+.

I really like the Humphries, Johnson, & Riddick picks. I think Both the WR & TE we drafted, fill a role. The Golden pick was kinda meh, he is a good motor guy who can produce, but he isn't a high-level pass rusher.

I don't know what to think about the Rodney Gunter pick. We traded a 6th & 7th to move up to get him. Most draft "experts" were scratching their heads at the pick. But I do trust Arians/Keim to know what they are doing.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some drafts are easy to grade, but this one isn't. Part of me thinks this is a slow progression of decline in drafting from Keim (Year 1 I thought he nailed it front to back, Year 2 was so-so, and Year 3....hard to say). It's not an A and it's not an F!