• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2018 Recruiting Thread

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Producing at the NFL level and College level are completely different. Prospects want to be put in a position to be successful at the next level. If Elliot was a bust last year, it wouldn't have hurt Ohio State's ability to recruit the best RB's in the country. And conversely with Elliot being arguably the best RB last year, it won't improve Ohio State's ability to recruit the best RB's in high school. Just how I see it. It was stated previously, Urban hasn't produced shit at QB in terms of NFL success at either Florida or Ohio State, but he still gets highly rated QB's to go to Ohio State.
His QBs also fit his system. He put a first round QB in the draft with Florida and Cardale went in the 4th at OSU. Joe Burrow and Dwayne Haskins have serious pro chops, as well. When they get their chance, it'll help, even though he runs an offense that generally doesn't showcase pro style QBs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And your changing it from producing at the NFL level to producing on the collegiate level/putting them in position to be drafted. You're changing your tune here.
Exactly what has Harbaugh done to put players in the best position to be drafted? Urban is currently only bested by Saban in regards to churning out early draft picks and that gap is narrowing. He is head and shoulders above Harbaugh, both in getting players drafted and seeing them have NFL success.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to point out -- I wasn't calling out Urban Meyer regarding QB's -- I was calling out Ohio State, as a whole. Type in OSU QB's in the NFL and you will see why I made the comment. It is crazy how bad their QB's have been.
Haha our best one became a punter.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will put up yards this year, but the better teams will limit his success. I'd guess Dobbins will be used as the change of pace back this year, while Weber gets 15-20 carries a game and the goal line carries.

Weber, IMO, isn't a bell cow RB. He will get his yards because OSU will be light years better than the teams he is facing, but he isn't the homerun hitter that made OSU's offense next to impossible to defend when they had Zeke.

And trust me, I'm not saying Weber isn't a very good RB. He absolutely is. He isn't a game changer though.
I don't disagree with any of this to this point. Like I said, I'll be interested to see if he has improved this offseason.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It blows my mind. OSU is one of the top 5 programs all time and Mike Tomcsak (sp) is their best QB. It is a truly bizarre stat on CFB history.
Check out Texas and Oklahoma, too. Sam Bradford and... Vince Young? Yeesh.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out Texas and Oklahoma, too. Sam Bradford and... Vince Young? Yeesh.

That's wild. You'd think the top programs would churn out the top QB's. But it just shows how different CFB and the NFL is. If you aren't running a pro style offense, you never know what you will get at the next level.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what has Harbaugh done to put players in the best position to be drafted? Urban is currently only bested by Saban in regards to churning out early draft picks and that gap is narrowing. He is head and shoulders above Harbaugh, both in getting players drafted and seeing them have NFL success.

I think he was talking about why I mentioned. When it was RB's I pointed out Gerhart and Taylor having huge season under Harbaugh. You said they were garbage in the NFL. When I mentioned QB's and OSU, you talked about what guys like Tebow did in college, instead of being garbage in the NFL.

And I agree -- Meyer has produced more from college to the NFL. He has coached for far longer, so he absolutely should. What Meyer hasn't done is -- coached actual NFL players, worked the sidelines of an NFL game, been in a NFL draft room, etc.

I am say this without hesitation though. Meyer is the only guy who can recruit on the same level as Saban. They are 1a and 1b in college. In college, there is nothing more important than getting the talent on campus. The teams who can get the top recruits are going to be the only teams fighting for the national titles.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was talking about why I mentioned. When it was RB's I pointed out Gerhart and Taylor having huge season under Harbaugh. You said they were garbage in the NFL. When I mentioned QB's and OSU, you talked about what guys like Tebow did in college, instead of being garbage in the NFL.

And I agree -- Meyer has produced more from college to the NFL. He has coached for far longer, so he absolutely should. What Meyer hasn't done is -- coached actual NFL players, worked the sidelines of an NFL game, been in a NFL draft room, etc.

I am say this without hesitation though. Meyer is the only guy who can recruit on the same level as Saban. They are 1a and 1b in college. In college, there is nothing more important than getting the talent on campus. The teams who can get the top recruits are going to be the only teams fighting for the national titles.
When it was RBs, you mentioned Gerhart, who had a legit dominant season but it turns out really wasn't that good. Taylor's "huge" season under Harbaugh wasn't that outstanding. His following two seasons after Harbaugh were better, and again, he turned out to not be that good. It also doesn't hurt that they got to go up against Pac 12 defenses all year that were trash against the run. I pointed out that in 6 years at OSU he's already churned out two RBs that are head and shoulders better than the best RB Harbaugh has turned out, and I'd even argue that Weber is a superior pro prospect to those two.

In regards to QBs, it's not the same as RBs. Meyer is, by no means, the place that a pro-style passer goes to play. This isn't a secret. Dual-threat QBs go to Meyer because they know they're not pro-style, but Meyer still has put QBs in the NFL with his system. I'm by no means trying to tout him or OSU as QB factories, because they're not. I was just answering your question why a dual-threat QB would go play for Urban.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh just had 11 guys get drafted. But this was never an Urban vs Harbaugh debate. You said why would a RB go to Michigan based off of none of his players having success at that position in the NFL. I then pointed out that Urban only has done that with one guy. I realize one is more than none, but at that position specifically, Urban hasn't really done anything either based on your initial grading curve.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh just had 11 guys get drafted. But this was never an Urban vs Harbaugh debate. You said why would a RB go to Michigan based off of none of his players having success at that position in the NFL. I then pointed out that Urban only has done that with one guy. I realize one is more than none, but at that position specifically, Urban hasn't really done anything either based on your initial grading curve.
Urban has had one guy become an instant superstar and another show several glimpses of bellcow back ability but injuries and general lack of surrounding talent have stunted him. He still has 3 times the amount of 100 yard games as Harbaugh's unquestioned best 2 RBs combined in the pros, with several other games just under 100 yards, despite shit OL and QB play to even help.

If I'm a prospect, I'm looking squarely at OSU if I want to be a stud RB both in college and the pros, well ahead of michigan at this point.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think NFL Success has nearly as much to do with recruiting as some people like to think. Actually getting players drafted is a bigger deal than what they do in the NFL

My favorite argument is "WELL ALL OF THEIR WRS ARE BUSTS IN THE NFL" or whatever.........well you have to get drafted pretty high to even be considered a bust. Getting drafted = money, which is the ultimate goal of any potential career path.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it was RBs, you mentioned Gerhart, who had a legit dominant season but it turns out really wasn't that good. Taylor's "huge" season under Harbaugh wasn't that outstanding. His following two seasons after Harbaugh were better, and again, he turned out to not be that good. It also doesn't hurt that they got to go up against Pac 12 defenses all year that were trash against the run. I pointed out that in 6 years at OSU he's already churned out two RBs that are head and shoulders better than the best RB Harbaugh has turned out, and I'd even argue that Weber is a superior pro prospect to those two.

In regards to QBs, it's not the same as RBs. Meyer is, by no means, the place that a pro-style passer goes to play. This isn't a secret. Dual-threat QBs go to Meyer because they know they're not pro-style, but Meyer still has put QBs in the NFL with his system. I'm by no means trying to tout him or OSU as QB factories, because they're not. I was just answering your question why a dual-threat QB would go play for Urban.

Harbaugh has only been at one place where he had a chance to 'churn out a RB' -- Stanford in year 4. Also, was the only year he had a team full of his own recruits.

When you coach 3 year at SD, 4 years at Stanford, 4 years in the NFL, then 2 years at UM. You don't have many opportunities to bring in your own recruits and put them into the NFL.

The most impressive thing to me that Harbaugh has done isn't rebuilding Stanford -- it was getting 11 guys drafted this past year at UM. The team was a disaster prior to him coming back.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban has had one guy become an instant superstar and another show several glimpses of bellcow back ability but injuries and general lack of surrounding talent have stunted him. He still has 3 times the amount of 100 yard games as Harbaugh's unquestioned best 2 RBs combined in the pros, with several other games just under 100 yards, despite shit OL and QB play to even help.

If I'm a prospect, I'm looking squarely at OSU if I want to be a stud RB both in college and the pros, well ahead of michigan at this point.

I agree with ATF. If a high school recruit wants to get to the NFL, why would they want to play for a former NFL first round pick, who also happens to be a former NFL coach of the year. What would he know about getting to the league and what is expected out of you?:doh:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think NFL Success has nearly as much to do with recruiting as some people like to think. Actually getting players drafted is a bigger deal than what they do in the NFL

My favorite argument is "WELL ALL OF THEIR WRS ARE BUSTS IN THE NFL" or whatever.........well you have to get drafted pretty high to even be considered a bust. Getting drafted = money, which is the ultimate goal of any potential career path.

I would agree with this. I don't think a recruit necessarily cares about what the players do at the next level.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has only been at one place where he had a chance to 'churn out a RB' -- Stanford in year 4. Also, was the only year he had a team full of his own recruits.

When you coach 3 year at SD, 4 years at Stanford, 4 years in the NFL, then 2 years at UM. You don't have many opportunities to bring in your own recruits and put them into the NFL.

The most impressive thing to me that Harbaugh has done isn't rebuilding Stanford -- it was getting 11 guys drafted this past year at UM. The team was a disaster prior to him coming back.
I wouldn't call them a disaster. The talent was there, your old coach could obviously recruit. He just couldn't coach worth a shit. Stanford was a much more impressive feat.

Here's why I'm saying Meyer is the better fit. After 2 years starting under Urban, Carlos Hyde was coming off a 1500/15 TD season and headed to the pros as a 2nd rounder. After 2 years starting under Urban, Zeke was coming off an 1800/23 TD season ready to head to the pros. Mike Weber just had 1096/9 last year and has a lot of momentum right now going into his 2nd season under Meyer. Harbaugh has been at michigan now entering his 3rd year and has yet to have a RB even come close to hitting 1000 yards. This goes back to what I first said - if I'm a RB, right now, I'm heading to OSU way before I'd head to michigan.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ATF. If a high school recruit wants to get to the NFL, why would they want to play for a former NFL first round pick, who also happens to be a former NFL coach of the year. What would he know about getting to the league and what is expected out of you?:doh:
Being a former first round draft pick means literally nothing. Are you saying that instantly turns you into an elite talent scout and coach?

He was a great NFL coach, sure. We've been over this. That's far from being an instant success in the college ranks. Saban and Spurrier were elite coaches in college who sent tons of highly productive players to the pros, and they sucked as NFL coaches. Charlie Weiss was thought of as one of the best offensive minds in the NFL while he was there. Then he came to college and, well, you know. There are plenty of other examples of coaches who sucked in the NFL but churned out plenty of studs who had great careers, and there are examples of guys who were highly-regarded in the pros and failed in college. These things aren't guarantees for Harbaugh. Urban, however, has demonstrated without a doubt that he knows how to get productive guys to the pros.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The talent was definitely there. Fred Flinstone wasn't recruiting schlubs like Rich Rod did

The scheme and coaching wasn't there though. I think Harbaugh is a good coach, I wont deny that, I dont think he belongs on the very high pedestal that some put him on though. However as said, He did get production out of the talent there that Yabba Dabba Do couldn't, so he's definitely good enough to get production out of his players that other coaches seem to fail at.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan has had 14 guys drafted in the last 2 seasons. The previous 5 they had a total of 16. He obviously isn't at the level of Urban because Urban has been at Ohio State longer. Harbaugh had as many guys drafted in his first 2 seasons at Michigan that Ubran had in his first 3 seasons at Ohio State though.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has had 14 guys drafted in the last 2 seasons. The previous 5 they had a total of 16. He obviously isn't at the level of Urban because Urban has been at Ohio State longer. Harbaugh had as many guys drafted in his first 2 seasons at Michigan that Ubran had in his first 3 seasons at Ohio State though.
Brady Hoke definitely didn't leave the cupboard bare for him, that's for sure. The 4th/5th year talent talent was unquestionable.