• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2016-17 basketball thread

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, why can't Eichorst jest figure out that all he has to do is write a check and the coach comes here?!

So frestrating !!

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the difference to me is leagues. Since Creighton left (and heck even when they were still in the MVC), Wichita St has very little competition. It looks like they won every conference game by 20-30 points this past year (with the exception of there one conference loss). That means a ton of playing time for their bench players. Since they've been good for a long time, much easier to recruit good players. Now, if they were to upgrade conferences like Creighton did, you'd see their record drop and they'd be good but not great. basically just like Creighton. They'll play a much tougher conference schedule, probably get more injuries and also have younger guys get less time so they won't be able to reload year after year.

so what's my point? I just don't think you could buy a coach that could win quickly. You aren't getting someone already at a good situation, just not going to happen. You have to get someone that is willing to build a program. you can go hire an assistant of one of those good coaches, but no way to tell if any good players would want to follow that guy to Nebraska. that's why i think the idea of finding a coach that knows how to build is a good idea.

I think Miles biggest problem when coming here was that he didn't build it the way he built CSU. He should have taken more guys that had a strong work ethic, more Nebraska guys, instead of guys that have been through the AAU ringer that were higher rated. my personal opinion of AAU: there are guys that have a ton of talent, don't really work that hard and are really good, those end up at Duke/NC/etc and those coaches force them to actually work hard and they become great. Then there are the guys that work really hard to be great at AAU, those guys are tapped out, they have reached the full potential of where they can go because of how much work they put into it. then obviously guys fall through the cracks (Daum at SD), they flash potential at AAU, but then blossom when they get to college (those are the black swans you wish you could get). Anyway, i know plenty of kids that fall into that 2nd category, my brother was one of them.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap where somebody on our team (football and basketball both) is from?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap where somebody on our team (football and basketball both) is from?

Dont listen to me..

i think without Pederson and Cosgrove - Billy C would have actually done really well here

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only Michigan and Ohio state could go out and get an up and coming coach for their basketball and football programs. Instead those idiots spent a bunch of money and now they are in the position to win national championships. What a bunch of idiots! Mom! More meatloaf!!

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Nebrasketball actually makes the tournament next year? What happens if they get a bid but lose in the first round again? What happens for expectations then in 2018-2019? I'm curious if Miles is basically on a short leash, hot seat every single year going forward, even if they make the dance next year.

How much equity does making the tournament next year buy him, if any?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Nebrasketball actually makes the tournament next year? What happens if they get a bid but lose in the first round again? What happens for expectations then in 2018-2019? I'm curious if Miles is basically on a short leash, hot seat every single year going forward, even if they make the dance next year.

How much equity does making the tournament next year buy him, if any?
Well one tournament appearance apparently bought him 4 losing seasons so I would imagine he'd get quite a bit of equity.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd say it might buy him 1 more losing season. i mean, if he comes back the next year and is competing and right on the bubble of NCAA tournament and gets NIT, that would be okay in my mind. if he comes back and rolls another losing season, then i just don't see how you keep him around, even with the previous year being an NCAA appearance.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oak you said you wanted Miles replaced who would you like to see as his replacement.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oak you said you wanted Miles replaced who would you like to see as his replacement.
I don't know, honestly. I have doubts that Miles will get it done which is why I'd like him replaced, I just am not sure who that should be. I won't pretend to be an expert on basketball coaches. Like I said, I think Eichorst tested the market and didn't come up with anything worthwhile. We can try again next year and hopefully more quality guys are available.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just gave Tucky all they could handle.

Never said they weren't any good, just that the league they play in allows them a lot of wins. The Shockers seem to be best of that league year in and out, now with Creighton gone, the only real competition is Northern Iowa & Southern Illinois, not your typical household names.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said they weren't any good, just that the league they play in allows them a lot of wins. The Shockers seem to be best of that league year in and out, now with Creighton gone, the only real competition is Northern Iowa & Southern Illinois, not your typical household names.
Pretty sure they would have a lot of wins no matter what conference they played the in. :suds: