• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To those expecting a third round comp pick for losing J-Joe

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was the big part of the second link you provided:

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

thats why I showed just the area I showed because the picks are based on things like quality of performance and the length and money in the contract not just the number of free agents, so a Joseph will be a higher ranked player than a Howard or a Lawson, Joseph signed a huge contract, those guys are on 1 year deals, just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats why I showed just the area I showed because the picks are based on things like quality of performance and the length and money in the contract not just the number of free agents, so a Joseph will be a higher ranked player than a Howard or a Lawson, Joseph signed a huge contract, those guys are on 1 year deals, just saying

It is based on the number or players, 1st and foremost.

So if we lost 4 pro-bowlers, but signed 4 average players to replace them, we would get 4 7th round picks because we replaced our 4 players through FA, even if they were not the same quality. They first go by number lost, and if it is equal to the number picked up in FA, then they determine if those players we lost were better than the ones we picked up, if so, we get an automatic 7th. Now if we lost 4, and picked up only 3, and that one player we could not replace was Joseph, we would be in line for a 3rd rounder because he made the pro-bowl, and we could not replace him through FA.

We were actually very active in FA this last year even if no one was a pro-bowler.

We will get a 7th rounder for Joseph, but no one else.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
fair enough, I think theyll get something not nothing like what Reedy's tweeting

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough, I think theyll get something not nothing like what Reedy's tweeting

I agree, tehy will get a 7th round pick for Joseph, but nothing for the other 3 they lost because they were replaced with equal or a little better. If those three are considerably better than what we lost, then I can see how we lose the Joseph pick, but not sure how far of fthey are.

Clements (Jonathan Joseph)
Howard (Dhani Jones)
Lawson (Tank Johnson)
Gradkowski (Terrell Owens)

Traded away Chad for a 5th and 6th round pick.

Not sure what we traded away to get Kelly Jennings (not that he is worth anything).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reedy only tweeted that the Bengals would NOT be receiving a 3rd round pick. They will get something, just not what everyone was thinking due to all the F/A pickups/signings this year.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, tehy will get a 7th round pick for Joseph, but nothing for the other 3 they lost because they were replaced with equal or a little better. If those three are considerably better than what we lost, then I can see how we lose the Joseph pick, but not sure how far of fthey are.

Howard (Dhani Jones)
Lawson (Tank Johnson)

Not sure what we traded away to get Kelly Jennings (not that he is worth anything).

Don't the players have to actually sign with another team in order for them to be considered a part of the process? I know first is the number of guys lost, but then it goes on to calculate amount of money made, plus how much the played, and at what kind of a level the played at...etc....

To me, that would mean that Jones, Johnson, and Owens are a non-factor in this...but I'm just guess here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps.

That is why I am not 100% sure on anything else, and pretty sure that is why we get zero comp for anyone else lost.

However, for Joseph, we replaced him with a FA signing in Clements, which negates the 3rd round pick immediately.

Now as far as it being a 4th, 5th, 6th, that is probably negated because we signed more FA's than we lost to other teams, which is why we probably are getting just a 7th round pick for Joseph.

I think Kelly was a player lost to FA, so that helps swing some back in ouyr favor to at least warrant that 7th round pick I think.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Howard (Dhani Jones)
Lawson (Tank Johnson)

crash you had me until you started the comparisons, if you get time go to the adamJT blog, he's done the calculations that went on in previous years and they dont count guys who were cut by 1 team and picked up by another team also trades dont have any effect either, thats why the Laveranues Coles signing didnt effect what pick the Bengals got for TJ, Coles was considered a cut so the Bengals ended up with a 3rd for TJ

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crash you had me until you started the comparisons, if you get time go to the adamJT blog, he's done the calculations that went on in previous years and they dont count guys who were cut by 1 team and picked up by another team also trades dont have any effect either, thats why the Laveranues Coles signing didnt effect what pick the Bengals got for TJ, Coles was considered a cut so the Bengals ended up with a 3rd for TJ

I don't know the exact comparisons....my comparisons were that of pure conjecture...not factual.

Maybe they do not consider Clements and Howard part of this....

But Lawson was a pure, straight up FA signing and been pretty decent this year. He may be the one offsetting the Joseph loss, causing the Bengals to be in the 6th to 7th round range for Joseph, instead of the 3rd or 4th.

It isn't abount position to position (as Coles to TJ or Joseph to Clements would be) it is about the overall haul of the FA's.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know the exact comparisons....my comparisons were that of pure conjecture...not factual.

Maybe they do not consider Clements and Howard part of this....

But Lawson was a pure, straight up FA signing and been pretty decent this year. He may be the one offsetting the Joseph loss, causing the Bengals to be in the 6th to 7th round range for Joseph, instead of the 3rd or 4th.

It isn't abount position to position (as Coles to TJ or Joseph to Clements would be) it is about the overall haul of the FA's.

correct, it's only about free agents going to and from teams that can qualify, players who are cut arent qualified either

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I asked Jason LaCanfora on Twitter. He said he thinks the Bengals will get something. I don't think it'll be a 3rd rounder though.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a dead-horse here, but this is what was recently posted in the enquirer by Reedy:

Newton likely rookie favorite | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

Scroll down past the part of Newton.

Basically because the bengals had a net gain in free agency, 4 F/A signings, compared to what they lost, 3 players left, they get nothing for JJ.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just remember

Per Wikipedia,

Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just remember

Per Wikipedia,

Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

Right. Was just refering to the 3rd round comp that JJ would have brought. Basically, the Bengals would have needed to not sign 2 of their F/A to have a shot of getting that 3rd rounder.

Anyway, the Bengals already are set up nicely with picks. I wouldn't even be opposed to taking one of those 1st rounders, trading down into the late 1st round and picking up additional 2nd and 3rd rounders, or another 1st rounder next year in exchange. Despite the playoffs, this team has a lot of holes that it will need to fill over the next year+ and having extra picks this year and next will go a long way to filling those holes. Especially depending on what happens in F/A.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
cincy fan also remember I read reedy was born and raised a Browns fan, he doest like the Bengals all that much