• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To those expecting a third round comp pick for losing J-Joe

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reedy swears we aren't getting anything for him. Anyone have any real insight to the situation?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he saying the Clements signing basically offset losing Joseph??? It didn't, by a long shot.....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he saying the Clements signing basically offset losing Joseph??? It didn't, by a long shot.....

Clements, Lawson, Thomas....

The Bengals picked up as much value, or close to it, as they lost in F/A the year before. Reedy had this posted on his Twitter feed awhile ago (and I mentioned this in another thread).

Reedy talked with someone in the "know" and they told him that the Bengals F/A signings basically off-set any chance of them getting a 3rd round pick. If the Bengals get one, it would be lower into the 6th or 7th rounds.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, now....I think....thanks for that....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my understanding as well. We only really lost Joseph, but picked up Clemens, Lawson, Howard, and Bo Scaife.

This will come as a big surprise however to those that keep talking about our extra third rounder.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I'm seeing that there will be no 3rd round compensatory pick as well.

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
from what I understood, it was players contracts and players performance are 2 of the big equations

Bengals signed by other teams
08/16/2011 Reggie Kelly - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Falcons
08/11/2011 Kirk Chambers - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Lions
07/29/2011 Johnathan Joseph - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Texans
07/31/2011 Evan Mathis - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Eagles
10/17/2011 Chinedum Ndukwe - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Raiders

Players Bengals signed
07/30/2011 Bruce Gradkowski - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals
07/30/2011 Thomas Howard - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals
08/02/2011 Manny Lawson - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals - One-year contract
07/29/2011 Deuce Lutui - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals - Two-year contract (cut)
08/05/2011 Bo Scaife - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck is Kirk Chambers?

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont understand comp picks or how it works. From a common sense standpoint we lost more than we got back. JJ has proved to be one of the best acquisions this off season for any team. Why is Joe Reedy even in that position? He's a browns fan. We got an annoying Red Sox fan in Hobson and a dull Browns fan in Reedy on the beat for the Bengals.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what I understood, it was players contracts and players performance are 2 of the big equations

Bengals signed by other teams
08/16/2011 Reggie Kelly - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Falcons
08/11/2011 Kirk Chambers - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Lions
07/29/2011 Johnathan Joseph - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Texans
07/31/2011 Evan Mathis - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Eagles
10/17/2011 Chinedum Ndukwe - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Raiders

Players Bengals signed
07/30/2011 Bruce Gradkowski - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals
07/30/2011 Thomas Howard - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals
08/02/2011 Manny Lawson - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals - One-year contract
07/29/2011 Deuce Lutui - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals - Two-year contract (cut)
08/05/2011 Bo Scaife - Signed / unrestricted free agent to Bengals

Forgot Clements as well.

They also picked up whoever is starting at RG in place of Bobbie Williams, and picked up Donald Lee, and Andrew Hawkins, no?

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Forgot Clements as well.

They also picked up whoever is starting at RG in place of Bobbie Williams, and picked up Donald Lee, and Andrew Hawkins, no?

cut players arent factored in only unrestricted guys count

icehole3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFL.com news: NFL distributes compensatory draft picks to 23 clubs

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Three clubs this year (Oakland, Seattle and New Orleans) will each receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents lost by these clubs were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

National Football League Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

this site can explain it better than I can, this guy is the comp pick guru

AdamJT13: Projecting the 2010 Compensatory NFL Draft Picks

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where is the link where Reedy states the Bengals aren't getting a 3rd round pick? People have used that to back up their claim but I have yet to see the actual statement.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Three clubs this year (Oakland, Seattle and New Orleans) will each receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents last year. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents lost by these clubs were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

That's great research Ice, hopefully that settles the issue once and for all.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was the big part of the second link you provided:

Compensatory picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reedy said it on twitter.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to twitter. My handle is the same on there as here @Cincyfan78. I asked him about what he said before about NOT getting a 3rd round comp for Joseph. He replied "That is correct".

There was no way to look up what he said before since it was over a month ago, I'm sure...and I'm not that dedicated. So, I just tweeted him and hoped he would answer. So there you have it. He has spoken to someone, and was told that the Bengals would NOT be getting a comp pick for Joseph.