• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TJ McConnell

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to own every point guard he plays this year. Jahii carson is shooting like 30% against him and most of that is drives to the rim because TJM is in foul trouble due to a PHANTOM call in the first half.

WE GOOOOOOOOOOOD

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who else you got to run the point? :scratch:

I ask this cause I believe depth at the guard spot is a problem for SU....and AZ.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I ask this cause I believe depth at the guard spot is a problem for SU....and AZ.

Nick Johnson, Gabe York and senior Jordin Mayes can all play some point. None of them are "natural" PG's but they are all combo guards and capable of manning down the position.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Johnson, Gabe York and senior Jordin Mayes can all play some point. None of them are "natural" PG's but they are all combo guards and capable of manning down the position.

I really cannot see York successfully manning down the point against any sort of good team. Not saying he's bad but I don't see him as capable.

Nick Johnson could absolutely take control if need be.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really cannot see York successfully manning down the point against any sort of good team. Not saying he's bad but I don't see him as capable.

Nick Johnson could absolutely take control if need be.

Or Mayes, for that matter. I cringe when he is dribbling and there is nobody within 40 feet of him

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jonvi there are two things to consider here:

1) if we are talking about fouls, TJM averages less than 2 per game and has only been in foul trouble 2 times in 18 games. I am very confident he can stay on the court come tourney time

2) any injury to TJM would effect UA as much or more than any player on this team especially because we have 0 true backup PGs on our roster. Knocking on fucking wood

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like my boy Ennis and feel he could keep control of things for the Cuse against AZ.

But like I said above, and injury would concern me. If Ennis or Cooney get injured, I think the Cuse would have major problems getting the ball up court and where it needs to be in play.

As it is, when Cooney or Ennis are on the bench for a breather, I'm hating it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonvi there are two things to consider here:

1) if we are talking about fouls, TJM averages less than 2 per game and has only been in foul trouble 2 times in 18 games. I am very confident he can stay on the court come tourney time

2) any injury to TJM would effect UA as much or more than any player on this team especially because we have 0 true backup PGs on our roster. Knocking on fucking wood

2....I was thinking long term injury. A few years back, SU was ranked high. I thought SU was winning it all. But in the BET their big Center tore an ACL and Keita was a freshman then. It changed SU completely and they lost to Butler in the S16.

This year I have that same feeling about SU. This is a really good team, but injuries are a part of the sport. This year, SU could lose one of their big men and hide it. But lose one of the starting guards and SU will become average. It's keeping me from pulling the trigger on really spouting off about SU.:nod:

Looking at AZ, I'm seeing a little of that same problems. Hope the injury bug stays away.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like my boy Ennis and feel he could keep control of things for the Cuse against AZ.

But like I said above, and injury would concern me. If Ennis or Cooney get injured, I think the Cuse would have major problems getting the ball up court and where it needs to be in play.

As it is, when Cooney or Ennis are on the bench for a breather, I'm hating it.

i know how you feel. with last night being the exception, when TJM is off the floor our offense just isn't the same. gabe and nick are both capable ball handlers and great passers, but what sets TJM apart is his vision and ability to see not just the obvious pass, but the one that nobody else in the arena sees until he has done it. it's incredible, and I have never seen anything like it at arizona, damon/bibby/gardner included

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2....I was thinking long term injury. A few years back, SU was ranked high. I thought SU was winning it all. But in the BET their big Center tore an ACL and Keita was a freshman then. It changed SU completely and they lost to Butler in the S16.

This year I have that same feeling about SU. This is a really good team, but injuries are a part of the sport. This year, SU could lose one of their big men and hide it. But lose one of the starting guards and SU will become average. It's keeping me from pulling the trigger on really spouting off about SU.:nod:

Looking at AZ, I'm seeing a little of that same problems. Hope the injury bug stays away.

oh for sure. But most of the top teams are the same way:

MSU: lose appling, won't win NC
Wichita: lose vanfleet, no NC
'Nova: lose archingidoingosndgo no NC
Florida: lose wilbekin, no NC (although they wouldn't drop off AS MUCH with Hill)
Iowa St: no Kane, no championship

Really Wiskey is the only team at the top that might sustain, and that's only because Jackson isn't quite a pure point guard. I know wiskey fans love him, but I dont think he is as valuable to his team as those other guys mentioned.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson could easily take over PG duties and York could be a SG. I do agree I wouldn't feel that comfortable though with Mayes or York as PG. The great thing about this team though is every single player can be a distributor (I suppose except Zeus, but that's kind of understandable). Gordon, Ashley, Hollis-Jefferson can all get the ball, drive, make moves and dish to an open guy like a PG.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson could easily take over PG duties and York could be a SG. I do agree I wouldn't feel that comfortable though with Mayes or York as PG. The great thing about this team though is every single player can be a distributor (I suppose except Zeus, but that's kind of understandable). Gordon, Ashley, Hollis-Jefferson can all get the ball, drive, make moves and dish to an open guy like a PG.

You mean Big Zoo? hahahahaha

But don't sleep on Zeus, he is a willing and able passer if he gets doubled down low. But ya, he mostly just dunks on people's faces

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this. If TJ goes down (knock on wood), we are a drastically different team. NJ can certainly run the point (and does at times), but he doesn't have the vision of TJ. York and especially Mayes would be way too much of a risk.

But overall, AZ is starting to realize how unselfish everyone is, and how much it helps the team. Again, it was against ASU, but AZ had 21 assists. TJ-6, BA-4, AG-3, and NJ, RHJ, and York all with 2. AZ also had 7 players in double figures. That is such a well oiled machine of balance and ball distribution.

The beauty lies in the fact that TJ (although the point of the spear) doesn't have to be the only person finding people to score. As long as you see someone with a better shot, pass it. That seems to be the motto, and it is working like a charm. It take a lot of pressure off of TJ--or whomever has the PG role--and gives everyone a share in the duties. Everyone wins. 21 out of their 34 buckets were assisted.

Hopefully nothing happens to any of them, least of all TJ. But they just need to keep playing withe the sense that anyone can dish it to the open guy. This fucks with teams so much, because it's like a game of keep-away. Even down low, you have guys just passing it back and forth, and you just can't guard that.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa will slaughter them in the tourney :)

"Slaughter" is a pretty big prediction. You mean like Duke was supposed to slaughter AZ?

I guess we'll see. Come on out to the West bracket and we'll find out. Either that or they'll both have to wait until Arlington.

:suds: