• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timmy moved up, why not Cain too?

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baggs reports that Timmy has been moved up to start tomorrow so that he can be available to start a tie-breaker on Monday (or even Sunday on short rest if absolutely necessary). Bumgarner will pitch Wednesday and for now the rotation against the Pads looks like Zito-Cain-Sanchez. But why not move Cain up a day too to start the opener vs. the Pads? He'd also still be on full rest thanks to the offday and isn't the opener the most important game of the series?

Personally I don't even care about matchups and who the Padres are throwing. If your season comes down to a must-win series at the end and you've got a choice between Cain and Zito both on full rest to lead it off, that just seems like a no-brainer to me. Is there something I'm missing?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know for certain ElJ as I wouldn't be opposed to this either. But perhaps they don't want to tip their hand too early to the Padres so that the Padres can adjust their rotation accordingly?

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know for certain ElJ as I wouldn't be opposed to this either. But perhaps they don't want to tip their hand too early to the Padres so that the Padres can adjust their rotation accordingly?

I'm guessing the Giants are going to keep open the possibiity of moving Cain up and see where things stand by Wed. If they're up 1 or less then Cain starts the opener, but if the Giants can pick up another game between now and then so that SD's only scenario is to sweep then they'll go ahead and stick w/the regular order and Zito going Friday.

BTW, does anyone else think Bumgarner has the chance to be the #4 starter in the playoffs over Zito, depending on how each of them pitches in their remaining start? I know he's a rookie and I know Zito's playoff history but I'm starting to think it could happen.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm guessing the Giants are going to keep open the possibiity of moving Cain up and see where things stand by Wed. If they're up 1 or less then Cain starts the opener, but if the Giants can pick up another game between now and then so that SD's only scenario is to sweep then they'll go ahead and stick w/the regular order and Zito going Friday.

BTW, does anyone else think Bumgarner has the chance to be the #4 starter in the playoffs over Zito, depending on how each of them pitches in their remaining start? I know he's a rookie and I know Zito's playoff history but I'm starting to think it could happen.

I could see them waiting to make a decision until they know for sure what the standings will be like once the pads series starts. As far as Madbum taking Zito's spot in the rotation, I could see it as a possibility. At the same time, he's already shattered his previous high for innings in a season and I know that the Giants management is concerned about his workload so odds are that barring injury Madbum won't make any postseason starts.

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could see them waiting to make a decision until they know for sure what the standings will be like once the pads series starts. As far as Madbum taking Zito's spot in the rotation, I could see it as a possibility. At the same time, he's already shattered his previous high for innings in a season and I know that the Giants management is concerned about his workload so odds are that barring injury Madbum won't make any postseason starts.

That's been my assumption all along too. But I'm beginning to wonder how concerned they actually are about MadBum's innings. His September numbers are fantastic and the only thing I've been hearing lately is how he seems to be getting stronger every time out. Meanwhile Zito hasn't been horrible this month but he's not been keeping up w/the rest of the rotation either.

So I don't know at this point. It could sort itself out before then. If Bum lays an egg Thursday and/or Zito pitches a gem vs. the Pads then I don't imagine there will be much of a discussion. But if Bum is sharp and Zito is shaky again it could become a real interesting decision.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's been my assumption all along too. But I'm beginning to wonder how concerned they actually are about MadBum's innings. His September numbers are fantastic and the only thing I've been hearing lately is how he seems to be getting stronger every time out. Meanwhile Zito hasn't been horrible this month but he's not been keeping up w/the rest of the rotation either.

So I don't know at this point. It could sort itself out before then. If Bum lays an egg Thursday and/or Zito pitches a gem vs. the Pads then I don't imagine there will be much of a discussion. But if Bum is sharp and Zito is shaky again it could become a real interesting decision.

His velocity does seem like it has steadily gone up throughout the season, and at this point I do believe that the pitchers will make the decisions for Bochy out on the field this next week. Most likely scenario in my opinion is that Zito and Madbum get demoted to the bullpen for the LDS and the one who performs better gets to start in the NCLS (assuming the Giants make it there.)

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that they wait till Thursday to see what the standings are and then tweak the rotation as needed. As far as the Zito and Madbum situation is concerned I'm guessing that they will move madbum to the bully and use Zito as the starter. As much as I don't take much stock in the 'experience' factor I do think that it can play a role in the playoffs. Zito will be our only pitcher with post season experience. My guess is that they consider that. The pitcher that worries me in the post season is Sanchez. If his nerves get the best of him his control could be 'all over the place'

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see the Saturday game was moved to Fox, and to a 1pm start. Don't like that at all. It's seems to me that the Giants come out flat in day games after night games.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baggs reports that Timmy has been moved up to start tomorrow so that he can be available to start a tie-breaker on Monday (or even Sunday on short rest if absolutely necessary). Bumgarner will pitch Wednesday and for now the rotation against the Pads looks like Zito-Cain-Sanchez. But why not move Cain up a day too to start the opener vs. the Pads? He'd also still be on full rest thanks to the offday and isn't the opener the most important game of the series?

Personally I don't even care about matchups and who the Padres are throwing. If your season comes down to a must-win series at the end and you've got a choice between Cain and Zito both on full rest to lead it off, that just seems like a no-brainer to me. Is there something I'm missing?

I doubt they'd move Cain up. First, Zito is a creature of habit and wouldn't like being moved back on short notice. If they made that decision a couple days ago, I think it'd be fine.

Second, that makes Zito unavailable to pitch on Wednesday, a potential game 2 of the NLDS. I'm pretty sure they're going to go with a playoff rotation of Timmy/Zeets/Cain/Chez and if Zeets pitches Thursday you can't do that.

Third, it'd give the Pads two lefties in a row and I don't like that idea either.

I think the magic number will be two on Friday and Zeets will be pitching with a short hook with a nine man bullpen.

ElJimador

Keepin it Real
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Update: Cain has been moved up to start the Pads opener. Zito will go saturday and Sanchez sunday. I suspect there was another reason the move was made too, though I haven't seen this explanation anywhere: one of the NLDS starts Wednesday. So if Cain hadn't moved up and the Giants needed Timmy to start sunday or monday for a tie-breaker in SD, then their only options to start game 1 of that Wed series if they drew it would be Cain on 3 days rest, Zito or Bumgarner. With Cain now going Friday instead, there's no scenario the Giants wouldn't start either series with a fully rested Lincecum and Cain (in either order) going in games 1 and 2.

I don't think the Giants intend to pitch anyone on short rest unless maybe it's Timmy or Cain in an elimination game. And even then I suspect it's only 50/50 they would.

Anyway, glad to see they made the move.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good call ElJ. It looks like they're looking past the Padres series now and arranging their rotation for the playoffs. Bochy won't admit it, but this appears to be his intent with having Cain move past Zito in the rotation now.