• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tiger Woods ready as usual to take on new season

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2006 was alot of swing changes ago ...he is just not the same guy anymore.
lol ..yes I never call it "the open" ..just when I'm lazy.

Very true. And that gives me some hope for the field. Anyone but Woods.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is ZERO chance he wins the Open. If it's over there ..it's no going to happen.

Even if his game was there ..which it is not right now ..Tiger does not prep big for the open. It is no accident Phil happen to win the Scottish open. He was there to prep to play in the Open.

The Masters is the thing. Tiger could win that anytime in the next 10 years ..he knows the course very very well.

I don't think he's putting well enough in the majors on the weekend to win any of them...but I do agree AN is probably his best chance to get re-ignited.

No rough widens the landing areas...lot of DL left holes but he can turn his 3w on those holes...if his iron play is on, I expect him to be in contention there.

Open...I do respect it as the oldest but I grew up calling it the British as well...serious question...has it always been officially The Open Championship? The weather can play such a factor there so you just don't know, but Holylake he did win w/o hitting driver.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose he had retired after the whole '08 "incident." We'd all be imagining how many more majors he would have won by now but the real number is zero!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he would have a majorless drought...(karma laws just wouldn't him to fuck over someone like he did his wife and not pay a price)...5 yrs now right?...I didn't think it would still be going.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's putting well enough in the majors on the weekend to win any of them...

Well, in all fairness Foley probably has him doing putting drills while creating a second lever, accelerating into the ball, and working to create a nice ball and then divot putt with a descending blow. After all, the fundamentals of putting are the same as in the long game.

:laugh3:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's putting well enough in the majors on the weekend to win any of them...

Well, in all fairness Foley probably has him doing putting drills while creating a second lever, accelerating into the ball, and working to create a nice ball and then divot putt with a descending blow. After all, the fundamentals of putting are the same as in the long game.

:laugh3:

You're right...kind of late in the day to still be looking for a swing...I can't think of any other top player that has won so often, changed swings so often and still fight the same problem...lol. The swing he had from '99 to about '02...a lot shots hit stiff...why did he change that one?

It seems to me lately he's kinda wishing the ball in the hole on the weekends in the majors...not the same confident stroke.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suppose he had retired after the whole '08 "incident." We'd all be imagining how many more majors he would have won by now but the real number is zero!

Who retires from golf (unless they are like 80 yrs old or can barely walk)? Why in the world would anyone at his level retire and give up all of the money & at least a chance to win more tourneys, majors, etc? I hope that you are joking with this ridiculous suggestion.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, calm down bro. It just a hypothetical to suggest that nobody saw him going on 6 years now without a major win.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right...kind of late in the day to still be looking for a swing...I can't think of any other top player that has won so often, changed swings so often and still fight the same problem...lol. The swing he had from '99 to about '02...a lot shots hit stiff...why did he change that one?

It seems to me lately he's kinda wishing the ball in the hole on the weekends in the majors...not the same confident stroke.

So many players have copied that swing (99-02). Sure has worked for Adam Scott. Why he left Butch is one of the great mysteries of sports. I still have that swing on video and it is damn near flawless. The ONLY knock I could make on it was that he had a slight tendency to sway his hips in the backswing. However, his body went with the club; His weight went from rigth leg to left leg; He actually had a spine angle at the top of his swing where now he is basically at 90 degrees; He would actually release the clubhead vs now holding on and chicken winging at the "oh shit" moment of impact.

What Hank did to that swing was awful. What Foley has done is criminal.

Also, he never should have switched from his Cameron to the piece of shit Nike putter.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many players have copied that swing (99-02). Sure has worked for Adam Scott. Why he left Butch is one of the great mysteries of sports. I still have that swing on video and it is damn near flawless. The ONLY knock I could make on it was that he had a slight tendency to sway his hips in the backswing. However, his body went with the club; His weight went from rigth leg to left leg; He actually had a spine angle at the top of his swing where now he is basically at 90 degrees; He would actually release the clubhead vs now holding on and chicken winging at the "oh shit" moment of impact.

What Hank did to that swing was awful. What Foley has done is criminal.

Also, he never should have switched from his Cameron to the piece of shit Nike putter.

No shit, the early TW swing was the classic Hogan swing refined, the one we all try to emulate, so many people have wondered WHY he would change. It seems to define hubris if you ask me.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my buddies and I saw his first game as a pro

the sum bitch never came back to Brew Town though

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my buddies and I saw his first game as a pro

the sum bitch never came back to Brew Town though

John Deere maybe? He played our local (the now defunct Bellsouth) Tour stop once...won it and never game back. I understand the guy has a lot of his plate in terms of appearances, etc. but I think he could do a lot for the Tour if he played some of the smaller tour stops...once you're granted a lifetime exemption, I think it's should be mandatory to play every stop at least once in a 4 yr span.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Deere maybe? He played our local (the now defunct Bellsouth) Tour stop once...won it and never game back. I understand the guy has a lot of his plate in terms of appearances, etc. but I think he could do a lot for the Tour if he played some of the smaller tour stops...once you're granted a lifetime exemption, I think it's should be mandatory to play every stop at least once in a 4 yr span.

You probably know by now that I can't stand Woods but I'd say he's done more than enough for golf and the Tour in particular. Probably more than anyone associated with golf in the last 20 years.

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he started his career at the Greater Milwaukee Open and had a horde of a following for most of the tourney

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With exceptions, it seems as if its not California, Florida, or overseas - he's not that interested.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably know by now that I can't stand Woods but I'd say he's done more than enough for golf and the Tour in particular. Probably more than anyone associated with golf in the last 20 years.

He's done a lot in terms of helping to grow the purses on tour, his fitness level, and level of play has attracted better athletes to the game...the PGAT is just a much bigger entity because of Tiger in many ways. At the same time I'm thinking he's helped kill off a couple of tour stops...the people in DEN (Sprint International) clearly said they didn't want to continue as a non-Tiger event. Here in ATL, there's no way AT&T would pulled out if Tiger played here once every other year even.

I know that Tiger is not Phil, etc. but Phil does a lot for the local tourney directors when he plays in Memphis, and some of the more remote tour stops.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With exceptions, it seems as if its not California, Florida, or overseas - he's not that interested.

Jack played a limited schedule as well, but Tiger plays the majors, WGCs, Jack/Arnie, Wachovia, his ATT event, and the Euro events that he's already plugged in for a big check before he heads the jet in that direction.

packerzrule

Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The GMO always conflicted with the British Open so it was not a surprise that the majority of the top golfers chose to play at the Open but you would have thought he would have come back to where it all started just once to throw the crowd a bone or two

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done a lot in terms of helping to grow the purses on tour, his fitness level, and level of play has attracted better athletes to the game...the PGAT is just a much bigger entity because of Tiger in many ways. At the same time I'm thinking he's helped kill off a couple of tour stops...the people in DEN (Sprint International) clearly said they didn't want to continue as a non-Tiger event. Here in ATL, there's no way AT&T would pulled out if Tiger played here once every other year even.

I know that Tiger is not Phil, etc. but Phil does a lot for the local tourney directors when he plays in Memphis, and some of the more remote tour stops.

If I was a popular touring pro, the one stop that would always be on my schedule is the St. Jude's Classic since so much money goes to help the children's cancer center there. I'd not only show up every year but I would donate my winnings every year as well.