• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Three With The Angels July 7-9 To Take Us To The Break

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you referring too here? Where's the short end for Kinsler?

Nobody wants Odor. I beg to differ.

Kinsler had re-upped and signed a long term deal with the team. He clearly wanted to stay. JD gave him little notice and the move surprised a ton of people. Usually main pieces of a contending team are not moved so abruptly. We all know about the many position changes that JD subjected Michael young too as well. He wanted to be traded at one point because of it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler had re-upped and signed a long term deal with the team. He clearly wanted to stay. JD gave him little notice and the move surprised a ton of people. Usually main pieces of a contending team are not moved so abruptly. We all know about the many position changes that JD subjected Michael young too as well. He wanted to be traded at one point because of it.

Kinsler was and is a self-centered prick who had no desire to not only move for the betterment of the team, but he didn't want to be considered a leader. So piss on him. And he still sucks as a 2nd baseman.

Did the trade for Fielder bite us in the butt? Absolutely. But Kinsler's leaving was/is fine by me.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be interesting to see how the season progresses with our starter tonight.

Ross has been terrific, and awful in 4/5 starts to date. Honestly, kind of what I expected to see from him. But hopefully as time wears on, he'll get back to being the terrific starter he was a couple of seasons ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problems with trading Kinsler to make room for Profar, but not for a declining Fielder with his contract.

I would have no problems now with trading Odor.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler was and is a self-centered prick who had no desire to not only move for the betterment of the team, but he didn't want to be considered a leader. So piss on him. And he still sucks as a 2nd baseman.

Did the trade for Fielder bite us in the butt? Absolutely. But Kinsler's leaving was/is fine by me.

I was happy with the Fielder trade. If fielder literally wasn't " damaged" goods, he would've given us a good 3 years probably. We still got one good year out of him, but either someone in the Tigers organization was dishonest or someone in the Rangers organization was negligent. We will probably never know for sure. I was just using kinsler's story to make the case that veterans who are a big part of the team are not " untouchable" when it comes to trades when JD is calling the shots. Beltre could conceivably be traded this July. I'm not betting on it tho.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Clark is the Rangers alumnus signing autographs tonight. I always liked him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problems with trading Kinsler to make room for Profar, but not for a declining Fielder with his contract.

I had serious reservations about the trade, but only from the standpoint of what we were receiving, not for Kinsler leaving.

I would have no problems now with trading Odor.

Nor I. But NC was saying that no one would want Odor and I think that's way off base.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels and Darvish could for sure
lucroy for sure
Cashner might be a good #4 or #5 on a contending team, he could help a contender get through the last few months of the season by eating up innings / starts and still giving them a decent chance to win.
Someone might take a flyer on Gomez for depth purposes
I wouldn't rule Ross out completely, but it's highly unlikely there
Beltre could go to management and request a trade, or we've seen JD give his veterans the shortend of the stick before for the betterment of the team ( kinsler). I know Fielder didn't live up to expectations, but it was the right move if you take out the fact that dombrowski pulled a fast one and / or the Rangers didn't do their " due diligence"

I think Choo is untouchable because of his albatross contract, the Rangers would keep Elvis as someone to build around and a lot of the contenders this year have good short stops anyway. Nobody wants odor and Mazara is untouchable, if the Rangers wouldn't trade him ( and other prospects) for Chris sale, they probably wouldn't trade him for anyone else.
JD said he is not looking to trade Darvish. If Darvish stays Hamels will also If JD is serious about chasing #2 WC. So they're out. For the same reason why trade Cashner? We don't have a back up CF so why trade Gomez?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was happy with the Fielder trade. If fielder literally wasn't " damaged" goods, he would've given us a good 3 years probably. We still got one good year out of him, but either someone in the Tigers organization was dishonest or someone in the Rangers organization was negligent. We will probably never know for sure. I was just using kinsler's story to make the case that veterans who are a big part of the team are not " untouchable" when it comes to trades when JD is calling the shots. Beltre could conceivably be traded this July. I'm not betting on it tho.

As stated, I wasn't enamored with getting Fielder, but your assessment of what he could have done are probably pretty close.

As far as trading people, I'm a firm believer that anyone and everyone is on the block, 24-7. It's all dependent on the player (thinking of Beltre here) and what the other team is sending back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As stated, I wasn't enamored with getting Fielder, but your assessment of what he could have done are probably pretty close.

As far as trading people, I'm a firm believer that anyone and everyone is on the block, 24-7. It's all dependent on the player (thinking of Beltre here) and what the other team is sending back.
I agree but JD is pretty much indicated we have a good chance at a WC and that tells me we aten't selling much if anything right away.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD said he is not looking to trade Darvish. If Darvish stays Hamels will also If JD is serious about chasing #2 WC. So they're out. For the same reason why trade Cashner? We don't have a back up CF so why trade Gomez?

I agree with ya up to the backup CF. It's not an ideal option, but DeShields can certainly be our #2 CF.

And what about this. What IF JD ends up being totally correct on how he's handling all this seller/trader, who won't go, etc?

Ya know, over the years we've seen teams get hot at the right time and go a long way, even sometimes winning it all. So, what if Odor in the 2nd half becomes the Odor of last season? Hamels continues to pitch well, Ross comes around, etc?

We might be in for a 2nd half of the season like we've not seen around here before. Ain't ruling it out myself.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but JD is pretty much indicated we have a good chance at a WC and that tells me we aten't selling much if anything right away.

I hear ya. It sounds to me that JD is pushing a lot of his coins into the WC arena.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with ya up to the backup CF. It's not an ideal option, but DeShields can certainly be our #2 CF.

And what about this. What IF JD ends up being totally correct on how he's handling all this seller/trader, who won't go, etc?

Ya know, over the years we've seen teams get hot at the right time and go a long way, even sometimes winning it all. So, what if Odor in the 2nd half becomes the Odor of last season? Hamels continues to pitch well, Ross comes around, etc?

We might be in for a 2nd half of the season like we've not seen around here before. Ain't ruling it out myself.
Thats what I mean.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. It sounds to me that JD is pushing a lot of his coins into the WC arena.

I'll be direct about it, but do you guys agree that it's a no brainer that Lucroy should be traded and do you think that he will?

I will be very disappointed if he's here come August 1st. He hasn't played particularly well for us and chirinos has done better with much less playing time. We have guys in the minors who can be adequate backups.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be direct about it, but do you guys agree that it's a no brainer that Lucroy should be traded and do you think that he will?

I will be very disappointed if he's here come August 1st. He hasn't played particularly well for us and chirinos has done better with much less playing time. We have guys in the minors who can be adequate backups.
If so it should be for BP help if JD wants to chase the WC.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one reason why I dislike having a second wildcard. I hate chasing fools gold.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one reason why I dislike having a second wildcard. I hate chasing fools gold.
I agree but had the BP and a couple of injuries may have made the difference between the 1st vs 2nd WC and that is what I read into JD's thinking.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant trading Gomez meant we would have to get another to start or back up Dlino and that seemed nuts to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but had the BP and a couple of injuries may have made the difference between the 1st vs 2nd WC and that is what I read into JD's thinking.
I didn't think this was a WS contender early on. Making the playoffs means nothing to me any longer. We are not good enough to win it all and we haven't been for close to 5 years. We would have never made it to the WS without being sellers in previous years and in all likelihood it will require selling off several pieces to get the talent that we need to eventually get that good again.