• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Vin Scully

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is almost 90 yrs old and heading to Australia when some players aren't even up to going? Amazing. I love me some Vin. :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! I missed that! I didn't think he was going to go. YES! YES! YES!

I have TWC too, so I can record the games. Oh this is awesome.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fell asleep every night with a 9 volt radio under my pillow in 1958 listing to the best in the world at telling stories about baseball. He seems a part of my family and my soul.

:agree:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found this thread, and I am still in shock that it's even real. That's like saying that the Sun isn't the best star. How do you even take that seriously? This isn't an opinion, it's an empirical fact.

Vin's broadcasts stand on the stories, because that's what baseball is about. I love stats, and so does Vin. But those are graphics that the truck sends up to put on the screen. The stories are what makes a kid a baseball fan. And the best part about Vin's stories? The come from his memory. He was there. He's been through it all. When Vin goes, we get no more of his stories. But the guys in the truck still pump out stats. That's why Vin is the greatest ever. He tells a story from Game 7 of the 1965 World Series, because he was there. He called it. That's baseball history. He didn't read about it. He didn't hear someone tell the story. He was knee-deep in that shit. I savor every word he says, because that is was baseball is; it's history. And that's what instills the passion in the fans of every team; their history.

I don't give a shit if Vin tells me a story of Jackie Robinson asking to borrow Vin's socks for a game in 1950. You are hearing a first-hand account of Dodger history... and baseball history... right from the horse's mouth, from something that happened 40, 50, 60+ years ago. That's amazing. That's primary source history. And he freely offers it to the masses. When he goes, that goes. And we'll never get to hear that level of insight ever again.

I can see what's happening in the game. I know what the count is, how many are on, how many outs there are, and who's on base. I can also read the stats on the screen. I want to hear Vin tell me about what the Dodger locker room at Ebbets Field felt like before a big game against the Yanks. Because that shit no longer exists. And I'll never get a chance to speak with the handful of people who are still alive, who know what that felt like. But Vin will just explain it like we were talking about it over a couple beers at a BBQ. That shit is amazing to me.

It's time for Dodger Baseball. Vin, tell me a story. I'll hang on every word.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My cousins are both Angels fans and they can't stand Vin Scully. They think he's too old and boring.

In reality, they're jealous.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone hate Vin Scully as much as I do?

You are not a true sports fan if you hate Vin Scully, but don't let your Giant colored glasses influence your thinking. Scully is absolutely one of the best, if not the best, baseball announcers ever. He has more knowledge on both a personal and professional level of players, managers and teams than anyone. The great thing about Vin is the stories he relates during the game. He's an American icon.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My cousins are both Angels fans and they can't stand Vin Scully. They think he's too old and boring.

In reality, they're jealous.

I live in OC and most of my friends are Angel fans and think Vin is boring as well, fucking toolboxes, I tell ya.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in OC and most of my friends are Angel fans and think Vin is boring as well, fucking toolboxes, I tell ya.

I don't think that Vin is at all boring. He has a lot of great stories and is extremely knowledgeable of both current and former players and the game in general.

At the same time, though, I can't take more than three or four innings of Scully. He talks so much that he wears me out!

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been listening to Vin for god knows how long. There will never be another one like him. There was never one like him before him. And i will miss the man when hes long gone. Also, i have no idea what people are talking about hes terrible, you just are a hater. Its not even debatable how awesome he is lol.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm not a Dodger fan, I have listened to Vin Scully call games and think he has definitely been one of the best announcers I've ever listened to. It'll be a sad day when he retires. If any baseball announcer needs to retire and never be heard from again, it's Hawk Harrelson.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redlegs@hokies

Trout Fishing Aficionado
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to hear. Hearing the man call a game is a treat. No doubt about it.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vin's partner for 30 years Jerry Doggett was a helluva good broadcaster too. 66 years! nobody is going to break that record. Love Vin.

DodgerLou80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i grew up listening to Red Barber calling the Dodger games and i thought he was the best until i heard Vin Scully. No one can compare to this man. He will go down as the best broadcaster that ever lived. Glad he's coming back for another year. I'd like to see him make it 70 years broadcasting. Stay healthy Vin.