• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Vin Scully

DutchSoundsOff

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone hate Vin Scully as much as I do?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, love the guy. And don't come on here posting links to your sports blog, dude. You gotta be kidding. :lame: Just leave now if you're here to use us to promote your little blog.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying you hate Vin Scully is like saying you hate Mother Theresa. He's above reproach.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scully's probably been calling games longer than you've been born. From a Ranger fan... GTFO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is tonight a full moon?

They are all coming out of the woodwork today.

DutchSoundsOff

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying you hate Vin Scully is like saying you hate Mother Theresa. He's above reproach.

Chick Hern was his equivalent. You cannot tell me he was a good announcer in his last years. I'm not saying Vin wasn't great years ago, I'm just saying he need to retire because he is absolutely terrible now.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimate respect for someone who Vin Scully

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chick Hern was his equivalent. You cannot tell me he was a good announcer in his last years. I'm not saying Vin wasn't great years ago, I'm just saying he need to retire because he is absolutely terrible now.

Not even close to reality. Poll Dodgers fans and ask them if they want Vin Scully to be replaced. Poll his peers. I guarn-damn-tee you that if you went to a Dodgers game and set up a booth asking fans if they want Vin Scully replaced, 95% or better would say no. Here's the facts: Vin Scully by himself is better and more respected than almost any other on-air tandem in the game. I'm a Padres fan in Riverside County (5 miles north of SD county) who can either watch the Dodgers or Padres version of games when they play each other and I'm far from alone in always preferring a Vin Scully announced game over the Padres guys - and one of those happens to be Dick Enberg! He's that damned good. He's like listening to 1950's baseball in 2013. A 50/50 mix of pure class and entertainment. He's more loved in LA than Tommy Lasorda! That you're saying he's "absolutely terrible" tells me that either you just have some aversion to the guy or you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Chick Hern doesn't compare to Vin Scully in my opinion because he was well-loved but not as well respected as an announcer as Vin Scully is. His skills were in decline but Vin Scully's most certainly ARE NOT. I'd love to hear some true Dodgers' fans chime in on this.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love listening to Vin Scully. I wish I spent more time listening to him when I was a big younger instead of really discovering him over the last decade and a half or so.

DutchSoundsOff

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid points HammerDown. I have no doubts Dodger fans love and adore him. I've heard that opinion over the last ten years where no SoCal fans would ever budge an inch on this subject. This doesn't exonerate the fact that he is overly biased to the Dodgers. When the Giants came to town and I got a chance to watch them on tv, I had to put the game on mute. His stories are cute for one at bat, but he forgets that he told them 30 minutes ago. I get it, he's a legend, blah blah blah...you don't need a Dodger fan to chime in and add that. But you won't convince me that he is great to listen to for other fans.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you finished. Interested in your opinion.

A guy who has been doing the job for as long as he has deserves the respect no matter what. He has seen this game evole in so many ways.

And to continue to do the job to this day shows how much he loves the sport.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His age unfortunately, is starting to show but there is still nothing like the sound of his voice calling a game. He just has a really classic sound to him and very genuine.

100% class. He's a HOF broadcaster for a reason.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's aged very well for 85 but this is doubtless his last season, though I don't think he'd ever be fired.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone hate Vin Scully as much as I do?

Are you kidding me?

The guy is the best. Watch this you tube. Guy calls it perfectly and does not fill our ears with any blah blah like announcers of today after the dinger. He lets the crowd noise come through and just waits...Perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all seen some amazing things happen over the years but if you threw a bucket of cold water on me at 3am and asked what my best all-time sports moments is, it'd be Gibson's HR without a moment's hesitation.

The class, professionalism and restraint Vin Scully showed in just letting the moment happen without yelling his head off and telling us how great it was was incredible. Me and my Dad were watching that live on TV and I remember Jack Buck saying "I don't believe what I just saw." There's actually a documentary on that HR that shows just how amazing it was. Gibson should have been in a wheelchair.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all seen some amazing things happen over the years but if you threw a bucket of cold water on me at 3am and asked what my best all-time sports moments is, it'd be Gibson's HR without a moment's hesitation.

The class, professionalism and restraint Vin Scully showed in just letting the moment happen without yelling his head off and telling us how great it was was incredible. Me and my Dad were watching that live on TV and I remember Jack Buck saying "I don't believe what I just saw." There's actually a documentary on that HR that shows just how amazing it was. Gibson should have been in a wheelchair.

Joe Carter say hi

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love listening to Scully. To me, he just has one of those voices you could listen to forever. I always wished he was the Reds local announcer. :)