• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the TCU game.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win is a win, so I'm glad for that obviously.

Thought the defense did a great job in the first half, and a decent job in the 2nd half. TCU made some halftime adjustments and it showed. Before the season started, I thought that Mike would need to get through this year before we saw any real improvement, so I'm more than pleased with the development on the defensive side of the ball.

Thought the offense was pathetic. I know It's the week before Texas and that we are keeping things simple and vanilla, so as not to show our hand to the Longhorns. However, even with keeping with that, the execution seemed really bad. I think TCU has a really good defense, but we just didn't look sharp. Maybe it was coming off the Notre Dame win and TCU being in the middle of that and the RRSO. I hope so. Thought there was way to much passing and not enough running.

To me, it seems like Bell has a hard time throwing the ball downfield. Not all that accurate, and seems scared to do so unless the receivers are wide open. He has trouble hitting guys on the run, and even the ones just standing there, Bell throws 'em high. Something just seems off. Maybe receivers need to do a better job getting open. And stop running the Belldozer. Get in a real running formation and let any one of our tremendous backs carry the load. We still don't get under center and I don't understand that.

Perhaps all that changes next week with Texas. I hope so. I hope I see the real Oklahoma offense. I'm worried that I'm going to see the same things though. Josh is going to have to 'Up His Game" next week for sure.

After what I saw last Saturday, I'm not nearly as confident about this upcoming Texas game as I was.
Texas didn't look all that great against Iowa State, but I didn't expect that they would.
But we'll win.
:suds:

Boomer Sooner.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting punched in the mouth the week before the rrso may end up being a good thing for this young team. They'll need to make some adjustments before next week for sure. I don't have much faith in Alexander filing Nelson's shoes right now.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting punched in the mouth the week before the rrso may end up being a good thing for this young team. They'll need to make some adjustments before next week for sure. I don't have much faith in Alexander filing Nelson's shoes right now.

Good Point...going from a Senior to a True Freshman can cause a bit of concern.

Spikericer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how long the d was on the field in the third, they did excellent. The o was just terrible. I have to agree that we need to stop running the qb. Don't mind if he goes thru progressions then goes and gets some yards, but it should not be a crutch for bad offense. And why not show your hand? Why limit the play book? If every game is so important, play and plan like it. We really have not done anything different in years other than bell dozer. What are we really hiding?

RACER-MIKE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I still do not like the offense play calls. bell just needs more time I think he gets a little better each game. the defense looked good.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I still do not like the offense play calls. bell just needs more time I think he gets a little better each game. the defense looked good.

Yep, sometimes perhaps by his presence or him being careful with the ball it makes me forget the guy only has 3 starts.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, sometimes perhaps by his presence or him being careful with the ball it makes me forget the guy only has 3 starts.

That's one thing he damn sure has done is protect the football, and if the offense is going to struggle a little at times that is going to be very important.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the poise that the team showed when TCU scored at the end of the 3rd to make it 13-10.

OU could have folded with the pressure, but didn't.

That is a big plus....

outlaw okie

Racer X
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give Bell a little credit cause his line wasn't giving him any time to get comfortable. TCU's defense gave us fits all day especially the line and DB's.

I see Bell as a streaky player who's hot and cold but when he's hot he can really energize the whole team and they rally behind him. He seems to have great general skills but his accuracy is off no matter how much time he gets.

I don't see another upcoming defense near as good as TCU's or ND's so maybe we can get the Bell Chopper thing going over the next few games.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the best DB we will see until Baylor, Kansas and Okie Jr.

WVU is 55th in Defensive Passing Efficiency, TCU is 23rd.

LSU put 251 passing yds & 197 rushing on them.
TTU put 293 passing yds & 43 rushing...
SMU put 276 passing yds & 16 rushing...

We put 152 passing & 203 running on them. They committed to stopping the pass, as they thought they would be able to contain the running game...and they did for the most part until Brennan gashed 'em. Whoever #2 is on their team will be playing on Sundays...he shut whatever receiver he was covering down allowing them to bracket the other wideout most of the game.

I would assume we will see more passing this weekend...although I wouldn't cry if we didn't pass it once if we didn't have to.

Anyone know that Metoyer is "taking a break from football"?

How many screens did you see us run in that game? That's usually our bread and butter.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the best DB we will see until Baylor, Kansas and Okie Jr.

WVU is 55th in Defensive Passing Efficiency, TCU is 23rd.

LSU put 251 passing yds & 197 rushing on them.
TTU put 293 passing yds & 43 rushing...
SMU put 276 passing yds & 16 rushing...

We put 152 passing & 203 running on them. They committed to stopping the pass, as they thought they would be able to contain the running game...and they did for the most part until Brennan gashed 'em. Whoever #2 is on their team will be playing on Sundays...he shut whatever receiver he was covering down allowing them to bracket the other wideout most of the game.

I would assume we will see more passing this weekend...although I wouldn't cry if we didn't pass it once if we didn't have to.

Anyone know that Metoyer is "taking a break from football"?

How many screens did you see us run in that game? That's usually our bread and butter.

I noticed the lack of screens that game as well, or the lack of a perimeter game altogether. Not sure what that was all about since we make a living on that stuff.

Taking a break from football? Wtf?

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed the lack of screens that game as well, or the lack of a perimeter game altogether. Not sure what that was all about since we make a living on that stuff.

Taking a break from football? Wtf?

OU played a very vanilla game on the O last week.

Dunno if the coaches just wanted to keep it close to da vest, for now or what, but I hope they do some things with Millard, this week.

Too bad we don't have a decent TE.....

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got to catch the whole game on DVR. First thought was Damn TCU didn't get a first down until half way through the third quarter. Second thought was our defense doesn't look nearly as good without Nelson in the middle. They were having problems getting lined up without him on the field. Hopefully Alexander will do better when given all the first team reps. If not the offense better be ready to score some more because our defense just took a significant hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read Alexander won't be responsible for calling the defense though, they passed that to Colvin and Shannon.

Problem is Nelson was a huge presence in the middle. He was pretty much running that defense. Hope Nelson has been in Alexander's hip pocket all week.