• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Osweiler

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So forgot to ask this question after the last preseason game but what is everybody's thoughts on Osweiler? Do you actually think he is the quarterback of the future for us?

I actually was left after the game a little more impressed with him. After the first 2 preseasons where he just hardly showed anything I thought this was the first game I have seen him really control the offense and make some really nice plays. The OL in front of him was doing no favors as he probably should have been sacked about 5-6 times but he found a way to escape pressure and still keep looking down the field for a completion.

He had some really bad throws and decisions (Manning said he would have made the same throw on the one that was picked off) but overall his game left me a little more hopeful for the future if he is the guy that we keep around.

There again though I still have no clue how that happens. Manning has said he wants to play out his contract so that is still 3 more years on the team. Osweiler's contract obviously runs out before then and I can see resigning him being a problem with so many other players needing to be signed long term. They could make a deal with him with lots of incentives such as throwing 30 thouchdowns gives him an extra $5 million or something or taking us to the playoffs gives him that much more kind of thing. Not so much money though in the guaranteed side of things for him.

The other part of that is this next draft looks to have quite a few possibly good looking quarterbacks. I could see us being like the Patriots of drafting that 2nd quarterback and maybe using a 1st or 2nd round pick on one. I mean look at the list of guys that potentially could come out next season...

Marcus Mariota of Oregon, Jameis Winston, Brett Hundley (my personal favorite right now), Bryce Petty, Sean Mannion, and Connor Cook. Right now all of them are projected as possible 1st-2nd round prospects. Obviously a lot can change in a year but it does look like there is the possibility of a good quarterback class coming up.

So if you were the Broncos (obviously we haven't seen Osweiler as much as them) what would you do?

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something you said that I also noticed, more so than any of the past years. He kept his eyes downfield!

I specifically remember in preseason last year, when he'd get pressured his eyes would drop, and it would be all about getting away. Thursday he seemed to slide around better than I've ever seen, and even when hurried, he kept looking for a break in coverage. I still can't believe how well he moves for as big as he is. That pass to Norwood was pretty. I missed the INT though....I hear that was just a bad decision.

I hope we find a way to keep him. One way or the other. I'd hate to think he spent the past 3 years getting schooled by Manning, only for us to let him get snatched up by another team. However, like you, I also feel this is very possible.

I'm really waiting and wanting to see him uncork a 70 yard bomb to somebody in stride. The kid has a bazooka arm, but we really haven't seen it. He did have a 50 yard pass or so last preseason......can't remember who it was to, but even on that throw he seemed to barely flick his arm. He can undoubtedly make every throw on the field.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't seen anything from him that makes me believe he's more than just a guy. IMO a Brock Osweiler comes out of the draft every year. I just don't think he's anything special, but I'd sure love it if he proved me wrong.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I am not left ready to turn over the keys to the team yet obviously. He made a few nice plays that actually resembled an NFL quarterback. I was hoping by year 3 he would be commanding this offense with some authority and make that 2nd unit pretty much unstoppable. I would think that is what you expect from the guy that is supposed to be the future of the quarterback position. One game though of looking above average doesn't mean he can't just didn't quite show all I want. Gave me a hint at it just need a bit more over the next couple of games.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seem to be high on him but IMO it's impossible to judge him either way until he takes some meaningful NFL snaps. I guess we will see after next season if the Broncos are just paying lip service or really are high on him at contract time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seem to be high on him but IMO it's impossible to judge him either way until he takes some meaningful NFL snaps. I guess we will see after next season if the Broncos are just paying lip service or really are high on him at contract time.

Rumor was the Broncos turned down multiple offers with possible 2nd round picks available for Osweiler this past draft. Usually when a team does that then it is a bit more than lip service. Gase keeps talking him up quite a bit saying if we ever saw him with the 1st team unit he would show us just how good he really is. We shall see. At least for me after this last preseason game I am left a little more confident in what he can do. Not sold or even close to it but paying attention just a bit more.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just havent seen enough out of Osweiler to say yes. He does have the size and arm that I like in a QB. Pretty good mobility for his size as well. Had some nice throws against Seattle like the TD to Norwood but was late on the throw that got intercepted. I need to see more to say a definite yes. Just saying.