• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about doing a CBB prediction thread

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I will still do the score predictions, but I might do tallies different from football. I haven't decided. Picking the winning team still would count for the record and correct prediction is the same, but I'm thinking about how I will do close predictions.

Here are different options I am thinking about doing.

1) Keep it the same - If you're not familiar with my football one, you need to be 8 points or closer to both teams' score. Instead of predicting how close the game is, you're predicting how close you are to each team's score. But what would be the margin for error for close prediction?

2) Going by the spread - Many have suggested I do this for football, but I like how I do the football. I think basketball might be harder to predict the scores but might be easier to predict the spread. Here you are predicting how close the game will be.

3) Overall points - Here, you are predicting if the game is high scoring or low scoring. You can predict a very close game, but it could be a blowout and still be a close prediction, You could say, however, that you saw it as a high scoring game or whatever.

I could do each one off of the scores you give the teams.

Thoughts?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that I am thinking about is what teams I am going to predict. I would probably do AP Top 25-35 teams and no "Other Games". And do all their games in the week.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are confused about predicting the spread, you are giving the score and I am going to use the spread between the 2 teams. Or if you don't care to do scores, you can post what you think the spread will be.

And not odds either. If the margin of error for the Spread option is 10 points and you pick Team A to win by 3 and they win by 1. It will be 1-0 and close prediction. You picked the right team to win. If Team A won by 15, you would be 1-0 with 0 close predictions. You still picked the correct team to win. If Team B wins by 2, you would be 0-1 with 1 close prediction. Even though you picked the wrong team, they were within the margin of error.

Last edited by a moderator:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually do my own predictions (way too disappointing :lol:) but I do like reading yours and others who post them. Whatever way you decide to do it would be cool. I think the score prediction one like you do for CFB would be interesting, although like you said it would be hard to do.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straight up Pick em's for top games is the best.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the-tonight-show-starring-johnny-carson-carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05